It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Largest Freshwater Fish on Record - Big as a Grizzly!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 06:15 PM
link   
www.msnbc.msn.com...

Check out the picture from that link!

That is by far the biggest freakin' river cat I have ever laid eyes on. (course I've had some get away from me that felt that big)

Unfortunately, fish that large are quite rare, because of the dangers posed by boats, pollution, overfishing, and nets.

Just thought I'd share this non-fiction monster with the folks here at ATS. Maybe my fellow fishermen will appreciate it if nothing else.

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 06:24 PM
link   
the Irony of it all....

''This Mekong giant catfish was weighed at 646 pounds by researchers working on a project to identify, study and conserve large freshwater fish''

''By acting now, we can save animals like the Mekong giant catfish from extinction''

''Local environmentalists and government officials had negotiated to release the fish so it could continue its spawning migration in the far north of Thailand, near the borders of Thailand, Laos, Myanmar and China, but the adult male later died.''

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 06:00 AM
link   
There is enough diner for week

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Irma
the Irony of it all....

even more ironic would be to 'Grill' the villagers,

that is, find out if any of them still has slabs of the catfish
wrapped in leaves and spices then buried under the house,
which is a long tradition of food preparation in the area.
(related to Egg burial for years at a time)

i think some attempt to recover its DNA would be of value

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 09:17 AM
link   
wow that is one big fish..."enough dinner for a week" lol

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by firestarter666
wow that is one big fish..."enough dinner for a week" lol

Fish that big are no good to eat, too old and tough.

Thanks for sharing. Its that thing, animals will only grow as big as they can in thier enviroment.

[edit on 30-6-2005 by SpittinCobra]

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Love da fish , here's a fellow fisherman who appreciates it no doubt . but river fish are no match to sea fish , they're too slimey for my taste . thanx for sharing . this reminds of a time when local fishermen caught a basking shark near where i live . they hacked it to bits , and complained in a newspaper that they didn't have enough " equipment " to catch fish like this one . it turns out that basking sharks are NEARLY endangered , and they really shouldn't be celebrating that they killed one ... sigh

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Wow. Thats a big fish. Almost as big as this one.
www.siamfishing.com...

[edit on 30-6-2005 by Voidmaster]

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 10:25 AM
link   
No, not almost as big, BIGGER.

From the first paragraph in the article.

Thai fishermen netted a catfish as big as a grizzly bear, setting a world record for the largest freshwater fish ever found, according to researchers who studied the 646-pound Mekong giant catfish as part of a project to protect large freshwater fish.

Anyone ever see the movie Big Fish?

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 11:00 AM
link   
how could you make you goldfish or catfish huge any ideas?

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Thats a great article. Nice find.

Things like that make me think twice about feeling complacent swimming in fresh water. I swim in the ocean regularly and am always bugging out about sharks.

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 12:05 PM
link   
OUCH!!!!!

Catfish have nasty little spines that can do some damage to your hands. I bet that sucker has a spine that will go right through your freakin' head.

Peace

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Holy catfish Batman!

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Reading an associated story. Environmentalists had recently released 4 giant cats into the river in an attempt to bolster the odds of survival in the fishes favor

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 10:08 AM
link   
does anyone else find it Ironic that and I quote "This Mekong giant catfish was weighed at 646 pounds by researchers working on a project to identify, study and conserve large freshwater fish around the world."?

sorry haven't had time to read the thread if they have

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Holy catfish Batman!

we should start a religion based on this fish

all bow to the giant chinese fish of God~!!!

posted on Jul, 1 2005 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by eazy_mas
how could you make you goldfish or catfish huge any ideas?

Give them a BIG place to live, and feed them alot. I fish will never out grow its surroundings.

Goldfish are just Carp, carp get REALLY big.

[edit on 1-7-2005 by SpittinCobra]

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Aww, shucks, 'tain't nothin'. I caught me one that was thiiiiiiiiiiiiis big back in the day. Bugger musta weighed 'bout a ton. Course, I've caught bigger, but never weighed 'em - the damn boat sank a minute later.

That's one awesome catch. Those guys have the worlds best fish story ever.

"So I was reeling her in, and she was all over 50 pounds but she got away."
"Yeah? I caught a 646-pounder."

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra

Not to mention the crap metals and other poisons they'll be carrying in their belly meat

I love catfish, but I won't even touch the belly meat of a 5lber. Wouldn't go near that 650lber for food.

I read the story on msnbc the other day and was blown away by the size of it! It's massive! A noodlers dream

posted on Jul, 2 2005 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by parrhesia

Originally posted by SpittinCobra

Not to mention the crap metals and other poisons they'll be carrying in their belly meat

I love catfish, but I won't even touch the belly meat of a 5lber. Wouldn't go near that 650lber for food.

I read the story on msnbc the other day and was blown away by the size of it! It's massive! A noodlers dream

Right, no telling what this monster has eaten.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join