It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Phase II: Cultural Modification

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Over recent years, we've seen an influx of islamic lobbiests throughout western Europe and the US. This, naturally, is to be expected. Heck, they were probably always there and it wasn't just until the war on terror began that it started getting publicity.

That's all fine and good, they, like everybody, should be represented by the government, and it seems you have to be paying politicians to get elected if they're going to do anything to further your cause. So what, right? Right.

Now for the part Rant's not going to like

Lately, there have been a surge of news stories coming from a different angle. My interpretation:

Your country's law states that everyone is free to practice their religion. If, however, I am to freely practice my religion, your nation will have to adopt its self to my religion, or I am not truely free to practice my religion.

Christians get krump for doing this all the time, but Islam is, for some reason, under the radar.

Just an example of the type of action I'm talking about, the Glasgow Evening Times just reported about a couple of Muslim charities going after an Italian restraunt. The restraunt is applying to get a liscense to also serve patrons outside their building in an outside dining area. Everything appeared to be going well, until these charities spoke out against the idea. See, the Italian restraunt has a liquor liscense. However, drinking is a sin in Allah's eyes, and “selling alcohol on the footpath is a temptation to our young people." Therefore, they should not be permitted to tempt the Islamic youth.

Source

I have read several other stories like this one. What I'm curious to see is how many people who have yelled at me in the past here at ATS for trying to push my religion on the State are going to defend these charities' actions.

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I would like to see what the outcome will be on this one.
In the past, attempts by Christian groups have tried to do the same under the same pretences and in some cases they actually won. In most cases, though, the christian groups lost. With the muslim community becoming stronger in europe (numbers-wise) It will be interesting to see what the courts will rule.
I support religious freedom but not domination. Unfortuantely, if these groups are smart, they will leave out the religious references and use "facts" to bolster their arguments. Facts as in it will affect other non-drinkers.

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Well, the Islamic charities are contending that the serving of alcohol is extremely offensive to Asians (not Muslims) according to the article, but it looks like the city is recommending acceptance for the liscense. There are several other restraunts and bars in the area who are serving food and drink outside since there will soon be a city-wide indoor smoking ban taking place.

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I kind of confuse here with your thread Jake, we all know that politicians get money from their "supporters" be one group or another one, religious or not they get support.

The key is how much influences these "charitable groups have on the politicians"

As you pointed out this is happening in Europe? or here in the US, that is the part I did not got quite right.

Where is the Italian restaurant located?

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 02:13 PM
link   
This is happening in Scotland. The intro was intended to make clear that this isn't supposed to be a Islam bashing thread and it's not an Islam shouldn't be allowed to lobby thread. It was kind of like that extrenous information in word problems to throw you off the math

This particular story is happening in the UK, Glasgow specifically. However, I've heard of stories like this taking place quite frequently recently. It's not exclusive to Europe, but it is hitting Europe harder than the US currently.

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Perhaps the reason is heating Europe is due to the fact that Islam is not a new religion. . .it has been around for a long time and occurs it has spread through Europe longer also than let said US.

I am not in favor of what may be happening but you have to understand than Islam is not only for the Arabs, people from European countries has embraced the Islam also and they are not necessarily Arabs descendant.

Here in the US no all muslin are Arabs they are also your regular American, and Islam is spreading also very fast in the US.

This is an interesting subject and it will be nice to find out how people from other nations are turning into Islam without having links to Arabs.

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake
What I'm curious to see is how many people who have yelled at me in the past here at ATS for trying to push my religion on the State are going to defend these charities' actions.

Ha! Irony. JJ, are your fellow Christians still going to want the Bible in schools if the Koran has to sit there right beside it? How about the Necronomicon, or Dianetics, or Yoda's Guide to The Force?

Now personally, I believe Islam is a violent, barbarian religion that needs to evolve out of the 6th Century. But, I also think Christians are just as guilty of trying to force their values and beliefs on others as anyone else. No, I won't defend anyone who attempts to use religion, any religion, to control others.

Incrementalism. Get used to it. We are all frogs a' boiling.

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Ok, sorry but I am going to sound off on this one. If I want to go out to dinner at a place that has an outside seating area and it serves booze, dang it, I am going to. If any group is so offended by that then don't walk or dine by the place.

Ok, rant over. I don't usually do one of these type of posts but this gets under my skin sometimes.

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Memorialday1999

OK, rant over. I don't usually do one of these type of posts but this gets under my skin sometimes.

Amen to that sister, he,he, hey I feel the same way, if i want to sit outside and drink I sure will exercise my constitutional rights to do so.

Now the problem will be if the majority of the population embrace the particular Islamic religion to be able to control the politicians or be part of the government also.

I believe Islam is not the ruling religion of UK at least not yet.

Here in the US we have some radical Christian fundamentalist that are trying very hard to do the same thing.

So It goes both ways when it comes to a more radical way to enforce religious views.

I still will have my drink if I want too, religion or not religion.

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Very true. The larger the group the more power and they tend to get what they want. But hey, didn't Jesus drink some wine? Sometimes you just got to loosen up and enjoy life for what it is.

I will say we did have a funny here in MI. It is of course common for christian churches to ring their bells on some Sundays and for some events. Well turn around is fair play I guess and the Islamic groups in Dearborn said, hey, we want to sound off the call to prayer. Well let me tell you, it is a bit louder and much more often than a church bell but what can you do, what is good for the goose is good for the gander.

top topics

join