It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How it all fits together..

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 02:25 AM
link   
Well..what can I add to that one-liner?, other than I suppose you might be a non-believer and I can understand that, There is about 25% US people in your category and who knows when they land in your back yard you may have a change of heart and attitude. Maybe.

Dallas

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Maybe, just maybe there are so many hostile aliens in movies because it makes for good sci fi viewing...

I don't think war of the worlds would be quite as good if the aliens came down and gave a big hug...

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 09:39 AM
link   
This is an interesting question that has been raised a few times just in my couple of months on the boards. I forget exactly who it was, but I remember seeing at least one post saying that a lot of the movies--ET, CE3K, etc.--were actually supposed to be gearing the public for disclosure. Something went wrong behind the scenes--I forget what, but I think it was a story akin to Dulce or Lacerta in its credibility--and (obviously) disclosure never happened.

I personally don't know what to think. Regarding the level of detail in movies (like the Predator series as Whompa1 pointed out), that's not really anything that can be used as a marker--look at Lord of the Rings. Tolkien even went so far as to create the actual languages used in the story, along with detailed backgrounds and culture descriptions for each race. That doesn't necessarily mean that there was a Great Ring, Orcs, magical Elves, etc.

I personally think the reason Hollywood makes so many invasionary movies is more because the general public likes to see things get blown up, and there are very few--if any--invasion movies where the aliens win at the end. I think most likely any message that is being sent through the movies is that humanity will succeed if we all come together (as in ID4), or we'll succeed because Will Smith, Arnold, or Sigorney Weaver are on our side.

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Oh, c'mon, guys. It's HOLLYWOOD!

They can't figure out how to get a good story out of friendly and cooperative aliens or alien teamwork with humans.

Television, of course, can (see Stargate, for example) but the public taste is for bloodshed and guts and emotionally tragic war situations. So in order to get bigger and better blockbusters, we get... blood-n-gutz.

...until they remake Mork and Mindy as a movie. Horrible thought. Loved the tv series but I'm so afraid what they'd do with an "updated movie." They're redoing "I Dream Of Jeanie" as a movie. I think I'll go hide in the basement for a bit.

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Indellkoffer
Oh, c'mon, guys. It's HOLLYWOOD!

They can't figure out how to get a good story out of friendly and cooperative aliens or alien teamwork with humans.

Television, of course, can (see Stargate, for example) but the public taste is for bloodshed and guts and emotionally tragic war situations. So in order to get bigger and better blockbusters, we get... blood-n-gutz.

I agree with you on this one Indel. If it wasn't for the movies and their "blood-n-gutz" then we really wouldn't want to watch them. Therefore HOLLYWOOD is wanting to drag in the $$$$washingtons$$$$ so they can make more movies about Aliens/UFO's/ET's. I don't think that's what it's ALL about.......that's just the majority of it. As for the other 10%, I think they are basing it all on what they know/research so that it will kind of feel and look real; so we don't get bored of it.

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Don't forget Meatballs 2. they had a nice alien in that movie that didnt try destroying the human race

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I liked McCory1's idea that the movies are pacifying the public that humanity will always win out..........that is definitely a good thought! Voted for you, Mc!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join