It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alabama radio show wants to boycott Aruba.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 11:40 AM
link   
You can't imagine how much this article angers me. These two from the "Russ and Dee show" from a radiostation in Alabama are calling for a boycott of Aruba because of the Natalee Holloway case. This is the reason they're giving for that (which is total bullcrap):

www.caribbeannetnews.com...

"We are discouraging everyone from traveling to the Caribbean, and especially to Aruba. Our country may not be perfect, but we are able to solve crimes and thoroughly investigate missing persons with a greater level of expertise," said Russ and Dee from the 'Morning Show' in a letter to Caribbean Net News, adding that, "when Americans want to go to the islands we will encourage our thousands of listeners to go to the Hawaiian islands."

They don't have any idea what efforts the police are doing here in Aruba, including media pressure that they've NEVER been under before in their careers. These are educated and trained policemen who can get this case solved. Just because they don't work the way the American police do doesn't mean that it's worse.

As you can imagine many people here are infuriated by the U.S. media here on the island.

Did Ted Turner saw almost three weeks ago that at least CNN should focus more on more important things that have an impact on everybody? (Like global warming, global politics etc...?)

Coincidentally I saw Russ and Dee last night bickering like ordinary fishmarket wives....on FOXNews...

This is their website:
www.voiceofalabama.com...

[edit on 17-6-2005 by TheBandit795]

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Sounds to me, like Russ and Dee, have never been to NYC!!

Yeeeah bishes.....that rhymes

I love the state of Alabama, every state has thier morons.
Alabama just has a few more than others, and Russ and Dee
are at the top of he list.

www.voiceofalabama.com/

Should be

www.voiceofstupidity.com

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 11:48 AM
link   
What a couple of media-demon piglets suckling at the teats of the story of the week.

When the story dries up, so shall the teats, and when the teats dry up, the piglets move off to find new sustenance, or they starve to death and their eyeballs feed the crows.

Either way Aruba wins.

Just wait it out.

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Someone should send them the list of missing persons/children in Alabama......www.dps.state.al.us...

Ignorant Americans........no wonder the world has such a low opinion of the American public........I may live amongst them, but I'll never call myself one of them!!!!!!!

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I live in Birmingham, Alabama and I can tell you that Russ and Dee have some of the lowest ratings in town and are general considered crackpots & sensationalists. I mean its not like Rick & Bubba said it or anything...

The majority of public opinion (as far as I've found) here in Birmingham is that while this is tragic, it could have all been avoided if that girl had more common sense not to run off with total strangers.

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Thank you el_topo, I'm very glad to hear that they don't have that much support.

Memory shock, that same link you posted is in one our local newspapers today. That Russ & Dee are just hypocrites..

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Right on, glad to see I'm thinking on the right track..........did our vaunted duo have any kind of response or are they still hyping the same BS?

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
What a couple of media-demon piglets suckling at the teats of the story of the week.

I wish I had a vote left this month. That has to be without question the funniest phrasing I've seen in weeks.

Anyway. That entire mentality is sadly reminiscent of those who assume every white guy is a potential terrorist based on the actions of Timothy McVeigh. It's like the folk who think "Arab = Jihadist". Or "Anti-war = Anti-American".

Ah, I weep for loss of the days when a bit of critical thinking was seen as a good thing.

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I don't think this is a common or prevalent thought TheBandit...if anything the problem is that Aruba is so safe in general that they don't have much experience with this type of crime. I would go back to Aruba on vacation anytime, I had a great time the one time I went there about 10 years ago.

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 08:40 PM
link   
I too live in the Birmingham, Al area and would like to echo what el_topo said about Russ and Dee...these two are probably the lowest rated morning show in this area and are just doing this for a little local and international attention, I've tried listening them once or twice and got tired of them playing "Good Host/Bad Host", by that I mean that NO MATTER WHAT the topic is, one of them is always for it, and the other one is always against it, I prefer The Rick and Bubba Show myself, they have an internet feed from 6-10 AM Monday-Friday Central and are probably 2 of the most non-DJ types I have ever heard...As for my self and my family, we have never been to Aruba but we have been to Nassau and found it populated with the friendliest and most laid back people that I believe I have ever encountered outside of Alabama

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Ok, those two have lost their little minds. Missing persons and other crimes are hourly events in every country and some get solved and some don't. Also, I believe there are US federal agents there helping in the search so just who would those radio guys like to blame exactly? If we based our travel plans on that line of thinking than I guess no one would ever leave their country and go to another.

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 09:38 AM
link   
I've found another, rather funny website that is trying to capitalize on this whole case...

www.tohellwitharuba.com...

Warning: Bull# meter on the above posted link is extremely high!!!

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by MemoryShock
Someone should send them the list of missing persons/children in Alabama......www.dps.state.al.us...

Absolutely brilliant. Really.

I think I will.

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 12:02 PM
link   
It does seem to be a bias where children/victims of minority groups are given less attention than their "whiter" counterparts.

That needs to change, and change fast. I'm just not sure how such a change would ever be implemented, as it'd mean first we'd have to admit that bias - and I don't see that happening any time soon.

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 03:37 PM
link   
No one is going to "boycott Aruba" and especially not over a low-rated radio show.

I hope everything is resolved so Aruba can continue its tourist industry. I hope no one is charged in the crime just to save face, but unfortunately that could very well happen I think.

That's where my interest lies in the case. I don't actively follow it because I am sick of naiive people thinking that the world is some sort of safe little disneyland to send their young daughters and sons to. Once you are off or out of hotel areas, you are on your own. Ixtapa Mexico is nice, but you cross the street bordering the oceanside hotels you quickly see guys in trucks with machetes and soldiers with m-16s. These kids need to be taught to use their heads when exploring foreign cities. Getting in a stranger's car is just as dumb there as it is here.

I don't doubt that the police in Aruba are doing a competent job on their own at all. They aren't responsible for this crime occurring in the first place. They know the culture, the problems, the people, etc better than anyone.

top topics

join