It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magnetic North Pole left Canada

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Interesting, I knew that the magnetic south pole was not true south, but I always thought the North Pole was steady.

I wonder if this means the poles are ready to flip?

Our North loses the Pole

After centuries in Canada, the roaming magnetic North Pole has crossed into international waters, en route to Siberia.

www.canada.com...

A Canadian scientist who recently returned from a trip to measure the Pole's current location says it has now left Canadian territory and crossed into international waters.

"I think the Pole has probably just moved past the 200-nautical-mile limit," said Larry Newitt, head of the Natural Resources Canada geomagnetic laboratory in Ottawa. "It's probably outside of Canada, technically. But we're still the closest country to it."

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 09:44 AM
link   
HHHHHMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM...............

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 10:05 AM
link   
This is very interesting. I couldnt help but notice thought that they do not know for sure where it is right now. All they know is that it is no longer in Canada and was heading for siberia, but where it is exactily, they have no clue.

cool

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Ah Ha! Canadians beware...

Finally Steven Harper's hidden agenda is revealed!
Not only is he trying to stay friends with the US, he has secretly given away our magnetic north to the Russians.

It all makes sense now.....

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I'd just like to point out that its moving directly away from Quebec at record speeds.

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I'd just like to know what the Liberals are going to do about it.

It might just encourage the Quebec seperatists to follow suite!

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quest
I'd just like to point out that its moving directly away from Quebec at record speeds.

It´s heading for Siberia too...

They think the big 9.3 quake last year have speeded things up a little.

Quote: "It also had enough power to jolt the molten iron that powers the magnetic field, and could be partly responsible for magnetic "jerks" that are propelling the magnetic North Pole"...

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Nah, they wander like that all the time.

When the poles flip THIS time (as with other times), it won't be the pole suddenly speeding up and heading down to Florida for awhile. There will be a "winking out" of the magnetic poles and then they will reform, with what used to be the North Pole located in Antarctica.

In 1900 it was close to Siberia.
science.nasa.gov...

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 11:45 PM
link   
And the mag north pole is not a specific 'point' but rather a somewhat irregular shaped area several dozen to a couple hundred kilometers in size changing and oscillating slowly.

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Teach it, Byrd!

The magnetism is expected to fade, then there's expected to be decades of no "poles", and then it will fade back in.

LOL! All the magnetic standby compasses in aircraft will be as useless as the wobble-headed dogs on car dash boards!

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Thank god for GPS
If we didn't have that we would be effectively directionless, we would all have to go back to star/landmark navigation

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Are the recent spat of earthquakes and volcano eruptions connected to the pole movement? It would seem to be possible as the molten iron would certainly be effected by serious tectonic plate friction and increased lava flow. I'm not very keen on geology but I do believe that when the pole was in Siberia as mentioned earlier in this thread there was also alot of earthquakes in the years around then. Alaska and San Francisco had BIG ones if I remember history right.

www.usgs.gov...
The USGS lists 5 earthquakes in the last 5 days along the pacific edge of North America.

I maybe leaping here but.............could a speeding up of pole movement predict increased earthquake frequency? I have no clue, but at least I'll have something to look up on the net this weekend.

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by looking4truth
Are the recent spat of earthquakes and volcano eruptions connected to the pole movement?

The pole has been constantly moving since the earth started cooling. It hasn't just started moving recently.

California averages four size 5 earthquakes per year and thousands of smaller ones. This cluster is somewhat anomalous, but seismologists are not really concerned....yet.

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
Teach it, Byrd!

The magnetism is expected to fade, then there's expected to be decades of no "poles", and then it will fade back in.

LOL! All the magnetic standby compasses in aircraft will be as useless as the wobble-headed dogs on car dash boards!

NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not my bobble headed dog!!!!

Damn. Actually, and forgive my lack or knowledge on this subject, but would lack of or different magnetic poles have any effect on electromagnetic and electronic devices?

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Oh no! Santa will soon be living in Russia!

top topics

join