It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why hasn't SETI found anything yet?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Hmm what about the WOW signal back in 1976? That has never been fully explained to this day.
I think this is the best candidate yet for a ET saying hello !

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Maybe the aliens have recently recieved our radio waves and have sent back signals. They wouldn't be here yet.

Also, if you say that the universe must be packed with planets full of aliens, then what would make Earth so interesting to them? If indeed that is true, why wouldn't they pick each other over a planet full of idiots blowing themselves and others up?
Also, there is the constant idea that aliens are only alien to us (hard to explain my thought here). Wouldn't they be just as fascinated with another group of aliens as us? Wouldn't they be just as alien? If so, maybe they haven't made their way to Earth quite yet.

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Oxgoad,

It makes sense that any exploring intelligent Race would be interested to some degree in any other intelligent Race they discovered. It seems to me that the history of the Earth suggests that we have had all sorts of visits from a lot of different Races. Each stay a different length of time, visit in different cycles, and do different things.

We might not be special at all, we have nothing to compare against to judge.

A.T
(-)

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 11:58 PM
link   
ya took the bait , is all I can say.

dunno which came first , the desire to contact life from afar,

or the desire to keep up the illusion that other life is "out there "

I think there r good people with good intentions with those antennas pointing skyward. but I think [ the aliens ] they're HERE ,
underground/underwater...[ reference bill coopers "behold a pale horse" , comment about witnessing a UFO breaching the ocean , the size of an aircraft carrier.][ and the shape of those ships , fits perfectly with water navigation ]

and certain people KNOW IT and they're not talking.

spend a cpl of bucks and get the disclosure DVD/book combo

www.disclosureproject.org...

38 levels above top secret ? that's the claim...

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Toasted,

Just because there may, or may not, be aliens or other strange critters hidden in the oceans or anywhere else, why does that mean there is no life elsewhere in the Universe?

Vinci,

Most common theories on telepathy speculate that it operates at some level that does not depend on physical distance. Certainly my own and many other people's experiences show that earthly distance means but little. What seems to matter more is how important the connection is to you, and how strong the emotions are. But since we are talking about thought we probably should throw in what you think about, ie if you never think of a person you are likely to have a weaker link to them than if you thought of them everyday.

This is the earthly point of view, where we know very little and can prove even less, a Race that accepted it had some form of this ability would be able to do much more with it I would think.

A.T
(-)

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 01:35 AM
link   
This was posted on a similar thread the other day.

But, if you've never read the story below, it's actually a pretty intriguing idea... That is, that the idea of us is so offensive, as to maybe other aliens wouldn't even want to associate with us? Likewise, what if we adopted the same ideas once we venture out into the stars?

A conversation between two aliens....

quote:

THEY'RE MADE OUT OF MEAT
by Terry Bisson

"They're made out of meat."

"Meat?"

"Meat. They're made out of meat."

"Meat?"

"There's no doubt about it. We picked up several from different parts of the planet, took them aboard our recon vessels, and probed them all the way through. They're completely meat."

"That's impossible. What about the radio signals? The messages to the stars?"

"They use the radio waves to talk, but the signals don't come from them. The signals come from machines."

"So who made the machines? That's who we want to contact."

"They made the machines. That's what I'm trying to tell you. Meat made the machines."

"That's ridiculous. How can meat make a machine? You're asking me to believe in sentient meat."

"I'm not asking you, I'm telling you. These creatures are the only sentient race in that sector and they're made out of meat."

"Maybe they're like the orfolei. You know, a carbon-based intelligence that goes through a meat stage."

"Nope. They're born meat and they die meat. We studied them for several of their life spans, which didn't take long. Do you have any idea what's the life span of meat?"

"Spare me. Okay, maybe they're only part meat. You know, like the weddilei. A meat head with an electron plasma brain inside."

"Nope. We thought of that, since they do have meat heads, like the weddilei. But I told you, we probed them. They're meat all the way through."

"No brain?"

"Oh, there's a brain all right. It's just that the brain is made out of meat! That's what I've been trying to tell you."

"So ... what does the thinking?"

"You're not understanding, are you? You're refusing to deal with what I'm telling you. The brain does the thinking. The meat."

"Thinking meat! You're asking me to believe in thinking meat!"

"Yes, thinking meat! Conscious meat! Loving meat. Dreaming meat. The meat is the whole deal! Are you beginning to get the picture or do I have to start all over?"

"Omigod. You're serious then. They're made out of meat."

"Thank you. Finally. Yes. They are indeed made out of meat. And they've been trying to get in touch with us for almost a hundred of their years."

"Omigod. So what does this meat have in mind?"

"First it wants to talk to us. Then I imagine it wants to explore the Universe, contact other sentiences, swap ideas and information. The usual."

"We're supposed to talk to meat."

"That's the idea. That's the message they're sending out by radio. 'Hello. Anyone out there. Anybody home.' That sort of thing."

"They actually do talk, then. They use words, ideas, concepts?"
"Oh, yes. Except they do it with meat."

"I thought you just told me they used radio."

"They do, but what do you think is on the radio? Meat sounds. You know how when you slap or flap meat, it makes a noise? They talk by flapping their meat at each other. They can even sing by squirting air through their meat."

"Omigod. Singing meat. This is altogether too much. So what do you advise?"

"Officially or unofficially?"

"Both."

"Officially, we are required to contact, welcome and log in any and all sentient races or multibeings in this quadrant of the Universe, without prejudice, fear or favor. Unofficially, I advise that we erase the records and forget the whole thing."

"I was hoping you would say that."

"It seems harsh, but there is a limit. Do we really want to make contact with meat?"

"I agree one hundred percent. What's there to say? 'Hello, meat. How's it going?' But will this work? How many planets are we dealing with here?"

"Just one. They can travel to other planets in special meat containers, but they can't live on them. And being meat, they can only travel through C space. Which limits them to the speed of light and makes the possibility of their ever making contact pretty slim. Infinitesimal, in fact."

"So we just pretend there's no one home in the Universe."

"That's it."

"Cruel. But you said it yourself, who wants to meet meat? And the ones who have been aboard our vessels, the ones you probed? You're sure they won't remember?"

"They'll be considered crackpots if they do. We went into their heads and smoothed out their meat so that we're just a dream to them."

"A dream to meat! How strangely appropriate, that we should be meat's dream."

"And we marked the entire sector unoccupied."

"Good. Agreed, officially and unofficially. Case closed. Any others? Anyone interesting on that side of the galaxy?"

"Yes, a rather shy but sweet hydrogen core cluster intelligence in a class nine star in G445 zone. Was in contact two galactic rotations ago, wants to be friendly again."

"They always come around."

"And why not? Imagine how unbearably, how unutterably cold the Universe would be if one were all alone ..."

the end

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 01:56 AM
link   
LOL... That is one of the funniest things I have ever read and IMO an entirely plausible answer to the original question posted!

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 02:55 AM
link   
I concur. LMFAO. Gave up seti years ago when my brain finally formed. I now put my idle computer time to something a little more down to earth and usefull. Im helping to find the cure for several diseaes such as Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (BSE), CJD, ALS, Huntington's, Parkinson's disease, and many cancers and cancer-related syndromes. What has seti achieved?

folding.stanford.edu...

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alexander Tau
Most common theories on telepathy speculate that it operates at some level that does not depend on physical distance. Certainly my own and many other people's experiences show that earthly distance means but little. What seems to matter more is how important the connection is to you, and how strong the emotions are. But since we are talking about thought we probably should throw in what you think about, ie if you never think of a person you are likely to have a weaker link to them than if you thought of them everyday.

Yes, but, we're humans, they're a different species, they're different in everyway, except that they have skin, bodyparts and a brain.

This is the earthly point of view, where we know very little and can prove even less, a Race that accepted it had some form of this ability would be able to do much more with it I would think.

I would think so too, once a theory is fact, many people accept it as truth.

Originally posted by oxgoad
Also, if you say that the universe must be packed with planets full of aliens, then what would make Earth so interesting to them?

Many people say that the Greys are here because they had trouble with thier cloning, so every clone's DNA degenerates, and that they came here to get our DNA to fix up thiers.

I still think my theory is most acceptable, we're an outpost for aliens

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 11:05 AM
link   
well , considering HOW WELL WE GET ALONG with one another here..

do you think anyone from OUT THERE would REALLY be interested in playing with us ? [ perhaps maybe eating us...]

oh please....they're RUNNING/FLYING/SHAPE-SHIFTING just as fast as they can , in the OTHER DIRECTION !...

as far as I'm concerned , we're not responsible enuf...

we can't get along with , nor feed all the people , how the hell r we gonna get along with aliens ?...

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 12:16 PM
link   
New to the exploration of the skies but has anyone ever considered slowing the speed of sound down "drastically". Think about it like this we send high powered radio frequencies into the skies probably moving faster than sound. If we were to slow our response feeds below the speed of sound we might be able to capture messages that are sent at the "speed of sound x sound". Meaning to fast to actually be captured and interpided..

Just a thought!

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Justmytype
New to the exploration of the skies but has anyone ever considered slowing the speed of sound down "drastically". Think about it like this we send high powered radio frequencies into the skies probably moving faster than sound. If we were to slow our response feeds below the speed of sound we might be able to capture messages that are sent at the "speed of sound x sound". Meaning to fast to actually be captured and interpided..

Just a thought!

uhh .. Do what ? Really not following you there!

Radio waves travel at the speed of Light!

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 02:11 PM
link   

well , considering HOW WELL WE GET ALONG with one another here....

Based on what? Since we know of no other intelligent races officially you must be using perfection as the basis for judgement. How do you know we are not the model of niceness when compared to other Planets?

as far as I'm concerned , we're not responsible enuf...

I whole-heartly agree with you that we are not responsible enough, just like no human being has ever been really ready to give birth and raise a child... yet somehow we manage.

I do agree that the judgement of all the other intelligent Races that have observed us up to this date is that we are not ready. Considering what 'ready' has to mean it just seems that no real 'teachers' are out there ready to spend 100 years or so to help us along to be really 'ready'. But I think that perhaps in some cases at least this is based on false information. Plus many encounters are with beings so different from us that contact is really not possible.

We really should pay our teachers more across the globe.

SETI keeps looking, they have 1 real job to perform. If someone wishes to support some other cause, good for them too, but I believe that we should always keep looking outward as well. Do both.

A.T
(-)

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Because radio signals have only being leaving earth for a bit more than a century now. Radio waves travel at the speed of light, (300 000 km per second) thats means that the first ones are about 100 LY away. So any alien civilisation further away than 100LY hasn't received anything yet, and you know how vast the universe is.

The case is the same the other way around, we don't receive anything because nothing reached us yet.

You have to remember that in order to communicate trought space you need a better way than waves that are limited by lightspeed. I'm sure all the space travelling species have found something new and abandonned radio waves, just as we abandonned telegraphs.

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Astronomer68
This was posted on a similar thread the other day.

But, if you've never read the story below, it's actually a pretty intriguing idea... That is, that the idea of us is so offensive, as to maybe other aliens wouldn't even want to associate with us? Likewise, what if we adopted the same ideas once we venture out into the stars?

A conversation between two aliens....

quote:

THEY'RE MADE OUT OF MEAT
by Terry Bisson

"They're made out of meat."

"Meat?"

"Meat. They're made out of meat."

"Meat?"

"There's no doubt about it. We picked up several from different parts of the planet, took them aboard our recon vessels, and probed them all the way through. They're completely meat."

(...)

Credits for this one go to Terry Bisson, and also to Gazrok for posting it here.

Very funny thing indeed, but who knows how realistic maybe?

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Radio signals sent out to space? The beings will take it as a prank call.

This method of communication (SETI) is an admirable effort for cosmic contact but I do not expect any groundbreaking results. When one contemplates the subject of the universe and its infinite existence it should become apparent that there are boundless posibilities of intelligent beings. Perhaps instead of radio signals we should attempt a project of collective consciousness where a variable amount of people are perpetually thinking (meditatively) about reaching out to the universe and its celestial inhabitants. A blending of science (technology) and spirit/soul (psychology) is what will bring concrete evidence to the human civilization. It is a matter of balancing the two but first we all must come to the realization of our own selves and where we stand in this ever-flowing existence.

A bird chirps at me, is it a form of communication that I don't recognize? I wonder what its intent could be but no matter how many times I hear it squawk it still wont register in my ears/brain. Yes, there must be another way to reach individual beings.

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 06:00 PM
link   
SETI, was a valiant effort when it began, almost forty years ago.
By today's standards and technologies, SETI is outmoded and underqualified to perform the mission it has been appropriated for.
There is no question that intelligent life exists beyond our atmospheric haze.
However, we must extrapolate, by subjective comparison, if nothing else, that SETI's is not the prefered mode, of communication or contact.
I think it is important that we ask ourselves the question;
Why if there are thousands of eyewitnesses and hundreds of multiple eyewitnesses to this phenomenon, are we as a government still funding a project that preports to beam radio, (the weakest signal at our disposal), signals into space with the hopes of contact......
It has just always seemed lame, to me.
I think, it's possible that there is another purpose for SETI. I have no idea what that purpose might be? But i find it strange that so many administrations would keep it going with NO RESULTS for so many years.

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 01:19 AM
link   
I left out one important part , I agree with this guy patrick heron

www.worldnetdaily.com...

has anyone here given any thought to the possibility that these so called "aliens " are really , the fallen angels of our biblical past , the nephilim ?

too incredible ? really ?

www.nephilimapocalypse.com...

www.innersites.com...

he makes a compelling arguement

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 01:48 AM
link   
I'll e-mail a wmp file of a show with HERON

being interviewed , it's an hour long ,

to anyone who is interested.

any comments after listening to the show, will be welcomed, good or bad...

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 02:21 AM
link   
It seems to me that radio waves, even traveling at the speed of light, can take a long time (thousands of years) to get anywhere in the vastness of space. Now, lets say for example that it would take Earth’s first radio waves 12,000 earth years to reach Planet X, (another planet with life). There is a good chance before the 12,000 years that have passed that we (the people of Earth) could develop fantastic technology that would allow human beings to travel across space so quickly that we can actually beat that first radio signal to Planet X. And I know someone will jump in with a “you can’t travel faster than light” or something to that effect, but honestly I’m not going to claim that I know what type of science will be available to this planet 5000 years from now.

[edit on 14-6-2005 by zerotime]

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join