It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake Warning for Sumatra region; Big One Ahead

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 06:09 PM
link   
There was a 6.1 today in the region and since the December earthquake the region has been quite unstable, now scientists are predicting another BIG one 8.0 or greater, possibly a tsumani causing one too

New earthquake warning for Sumatra region
LONDON, June 8 (Reuters) - The second earthquake in South Asia in three months increased stress on fault lines in the region, making it vulnerable to another rupture and a tsunami, scientists said on Wednesday.

"We're concerned about a large earthquake and there is a strong probability that if it happens, it will generate a tsunami," Professor John McCloskey of the University of Ulster told Reuters.

He and his team, who predicted the March 28 quake about 2 weeks before it occurred, said the area under the Mentawai islands west of Sumatra is most at risk of an earthquake with a magnitude of 8-8.5 or stronger.

"The potential for something bigger is there," he added.

'Megathrust' earthquakes in store for Sumatra, seismologist warns

Sumatra Poised for Another Tsunami, Study Says

This is not good news for the people of the region, many hoped that the all the smaller quakes following the December quake would have released some stress, but now it seems otherwise. And the possibility of a mega quake triggering one or multiple volcanoes in the region is another scary prospect, let's just hope that when the next big one happens it isn't too close to Toba.

[edit on 6-8-2005 by worldwatcher]

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Just what we need - the threat of ANOTHER extinction level event. The last Toba eruption was enough, imo.

First there's asteroids, then there's bird flu, then there's Yellowstone ... Heck, I'm surprised we're not all dead already!

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Not good

I was looking at the Seismic monitor and seen that todays one in North Sumatra, Indonesa, was 6.3

www.iris.edu...

not good at all theres seems to be so many there at the moment,

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 06:19 PM
link   
thanks for the correction asala, I just saw 6.3 on another site instead of 6.1

btw....

Earthquake craters appear in Trang
TRANG, June 8 (TNA) – The latest earthquake to hit the Indonesian island of Sumatra recently has caused massive earth craters to appear in Thailand's southern province of Trang, Provincial Governor Naret Jitsucharitwong confirmed today.

Several houses in Wang Wiset district reported cracks today, while officials from the Department of Mineral Resources have discovered four-metre deep soil craters.

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 06:49 PM
link   
``

here's another global-watch & disaster reporting site:
home.att.net...

that Sumatra area thing, if it's the same event,
was posted on Tuesday 7 June (yesterday)
and the link was probably only good for 1 day

i don't know if this site is worth keeping...you be the judge,
as i only look at it every third day-or-so

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 05:05 PM
link   
There was another quake in Northen Sumatra again today 5.5

www.iris.edu...

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I personally believe that the danger of Toba going off is high, but even if that doesn't happen, surely more volcanoes will go off. That in addition to Mt. St. Helens, and the Volcano in Mexico will probably change climate conditions next year. Either this will affect all of us.

-P

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 09:06 PM
link   
right now i think earthquakes in that region are ok. its just the plate resting itself...hopefully.

The scary thing to look for are HARMONIC TREMORS ... that means that lava is moving , possibly into the Super Volcano.

BEWARE ... when things start to quiet down, it will be the calm before the storm. thats how volcanos usually operate.

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 10:27 PM
link   
I realize the chances of a large event are extremely high...I just hope it dosen't come to pass. The apparent glee that the media shows, as far as number of casualties and pictures of utter destruction go, is very disturbing to say the least. The one that always gets me is some reporter asking a grieving family member.." How do you feel?" But,you know inquiring minds want to know....especially the gory details. I know this has turned into a rant, please forgive me.

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 12:40 AM
link   
The media loves this stuff. The more fatalities the better. I feel for these people. It has to be frightening fearing the sea by which you fish and fearing the mountains around you.

I expect one day to wake up, get on the computer, hop on CNN.com and see that red banner at the top with "Breaking News: Major event in Indonesia. Details to follow" and having to run over to the TV to find some news just to find reporters trying to hide their smirks while reporting about the massive explosion of Toba or the 15 meter tsunami. It will happen one day and these people will be thrilled.

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 01:41 PM
link   
The good news is i just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to geico.

Really though, if all this stuff really does happen what are we going to do about it. People talk about events wiping out our civilization, but what are we gonna do about it. Go into space? The only thing we can really do is wait and watch. Until that happens I think we should all get on with our lives. But thats just me.

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by DirtyWater33
The good news is i just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to geico.

You just won my Way Above Award for July. U2U me on the 1st of the month to claim your prise!

as i was reading the whole thread i was worried and almost ready to call my Real Estate Agent & Stock Broker to sell everything and get out of Dodge.

You reminded me that I have to cancel my insurance too!

top topics

join