It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

hacking of pentagon and nasa

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 10:25 AM
link   
The unemployed former computer engineer is accused of causing the US government $1billion of damage by breaking into its most secure computers at the Pentagon and Nasa. He is likely to be extradited to America to face eight counts of computer crime in 14 states and could be jailed for 70 years.
Friends said that he broke into the networks from his home computer to try to prove his theory that the US was covering up the existence of UFOs.

He is accused of a series of hacking

www.thisislondon.co.uk... 0Standard&ct=5

[edit on 8-6-2005 by Gazrok]

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 10:44 AM
link   
sorry bit pissed tonight do you think he found anything or do you think they had a hart attack thinking he was a terrorist makes you wonder

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I doubt any hard proof would be on networked computers, connected to the internet. Such info would be on an intranet, or even just external storage devices. We see that even in the business world. Most hackers are smart enough to realize this, and it's more likely he did this for the thrill, and this is his poor excuse.....

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 11:03 AM
link   
yer could be rite good way to get a leaner sentence but still they should be happy he showed them the ways in better him then some nut oh terrorist

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Sometimes, it's a good way to get them to hire you, hehe...

After all, I'm sure we put many hackers to use in squads to counter cyber-terrorism...

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

After all, I'm sure we put many hackers to use in squads to counter cyber-terrorism...

thats probably the only way they could beat the chinese...

btw theres alot of cool movies about hacking

wargames, hackers , i even saw one called NetForce by tom clancy im sure theres plenty more

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I wonder if the accusation of deleting files was added to make him sound more devious. Maybe all he was doing was looking for info on a UFO coverup, and they nailed him to the wall as an example to others.

But if he was malicious and deleting files, he's in big trouble. That's some serious time and a huge fine for an unemployed computer engineer.

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hal9000
But if he was malicious and deleting files, he's in big trouble. That's some serious time and a huge fine for an unemployed computer engineer.

That charge could be as simple as deleting log files to cover his tracks. I highly doubt that there were any sensitive files on those networks. If there were, shame on the government for making it so easy.

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 01:40 PM
link   
As Gazrok said, if they hacker did anything it was probably get unclassified email addresses from the computers. As a former military employee the general practice is that all classified material is located in a physically different network. I still work with that community and it hasn't changed since I left the military a year ago.

-Aza

The fines are just for breaking laws. He could of had multiple instances of breaking said laws

[edit on 8-6-2005 by Azathoth]

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

If I rember correctly the Red Alert virus / DOS attack was done by the chineese, and probiblly many others too.

Maby we could hack into there computers and steal all of our secrets BACK from them hehehe.

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Well I think its safe to say he didnt find any real UFO information, otherwise he would have been found dead of an "apprantly self-inflicted gunshot wound." Thats the real downside to actively looking for such information, you wont ever live to see the results, and if you are alive it means you obviously failed at your goal.

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 02:10 PM
link   
alternateheaven,

There is indeed a way to avoid this trap.

One can get all the info they need and distribute it anonymously - but it requires an out of the box solution.

As far as this Hacker goes he's a reasonable amaeteur at best - like people have said any sensitive info would never be purposely connected to the public internet.

Ultimately they will not be able to contain all this information forever - it will be a race to see how long they can hold out using their own time table.

I really believe that if a Hacker/Spy ever gets and properly distributes significant proof of alien contact then the U.S. and U.N. will switch to the "Threat from Outer Space" plan that Dr. Greer and many others have claimed is just around the corner.

And really thats just fine with me - that is an illusion which can also be shattered.

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Not mention after WWII we brought over and employed a bunch of NAZI scientist and doctors... (shhhhhhhh dont tell the lemmings that though) .

Peace

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I think that is a bs,
Any 'hacker' would be more then able to hide his tracks and not many would be 'smart' enough to hack .gov

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by MiTo
I think that is a bs,
Any 'hacker' would be more then able to hide his tracks and not many would be 'smart' enough to hack .gov

He was more like a script kiddie with enough knowledge to be dangerous. Most of his "hacks" consisted of guessing passwords. Nothing ground breaking there. As a sys admin I know first hand that weak passwords and a lack of a good security policy surrounding them can be trouble. I have seen the month used as a password, or just the word "password". Some policies don't even make the user change the password on a consistent basis. Not to mention the "social engineering" part of hacking networks.

Maybe the sys admins of these DOD and NASA systems need to be finding another line of work.

Dumb users, slack policies, and sloppy administration is all this amounts to.

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by TruthMagnet

One can get all the info they need and distribute it anonymously - but it requires an out of the box solution.

And who is going to believe it is real info? Everyone is so skeptical of everyone and everything related to this topic that it will tossed out instantly as manipulate information or something.

The system has us where it wants us.

I see how experiencers come forward here and get shot down by others - how would information from a hacker be treated any differently?
Because of perhaps a letter head is present or something else?

I mean this story could just be frabricated anyway and most have swallowed it because it is in print!!!

Damn this wool gets in my eyes.

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

btw theres alot of cool movies about hacking

wargames, hackers , i even saw one called NetForce by tom clancy im sure theres plenty more

I'm a hacker myself (not a cracker, or skriptkiddie), and hacking is nothing like you see in movies or read in books. But Tom Clancy is a wonderful author, good book

And to the person that said hide your tracks... It is a lot harder than just going into a .txt file and deleting them. If it's a government site, I'm sure they've got better logs and such than just a stupid little .txt file

[edit on 8-6-2005 by Willcall3937]

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 09:10 PM
link   
You guys are replying to this like no one on earth is able to hack a government database. If you think about I'm sure dozens of people have hacked into .gov sites and you just don't know about them because they're that good or killed themselves in the process because they have discovered something truly evil in the government and did not want to live to see it all come public.

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 09:40 PM
link   
lol this idiot is from north London haahhaa what an idiot supposedly the Americans think he is the biggest hacker since sliced bread. He IS ONLY tryin to hack in to nasa, fbi and every security ageny in the world to say aliens is real hahaahah . o man that some mad # hehehe

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 10:04 PM
link   

If you think about I'm sure dozens of people have hacked into .gov sites and you just don't know about them because they're that good or killed themselves in the process because they have discovered something truly evil in the government and did not want to live to see it all come public

Pure and utter mammal excrement.It is because of the pure and simple fact that no government agency would store secrets on an unclassififed network. Huge fines and jail time sounds like a good method of keeping secrets safe.

-Aza

[edit on 8-6-2005 by Azathoth]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join