It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smelly Mystery Blob Takes Over N.J. Town

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2003 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Oh great, just about 20 minutes from where I live.

LITTLE EGG HARBOR TOWNSHIP, N.J. - It smells like rotten eggs at best, decomposing flesh at worst. It looks like the pods from "Invasion of the Body Snatchers." To the people whose homes back up onto a Tuckerton Creek tributary where the gelatinous substance recently appeared, it's just "The Blob."

The substance, which was noticed about two weeks ago, consists of jelly-like bulbs that undulate with the waves just below the surface. By most accounts, it generally stays submerged in about 8 feet of water in the lagoon. At low tide, some of it pokes through the surface of the water, looking like marbled rocks.

The state Department of Environmental Protection poked at the blob and took samples as part of a half-dozen field tests Tuesday before deciding it's not hazardous.

Robert Ingenito, environmental health coordinator for the Ocean County Health Department, said he hadn't seen anything like it in 30 years of public health work.

YAHOO NEWS STORY

Anyone ever hear of anything like this? If I get a chance this weekend I'm gonna take a ride and take some pics.

posted on Aug, 8 2003 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Yeah take some pictures and post them here. If you dont pass out from the smell first. LOL!

posted on Aug, 9 2003 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Pictures should be interesting. Sounds like you should wear a hazmat suit to escape the smell though

posted on Aug, 13 2003 @ 08:03 PM
link   

By Donald Murry and Bridgett Harrison
Members of a close-knit waterside community today will do battle with a mysterious blob-like growth that has been lurking in a local lagoon.

The 4- by 6-foot, multicolored, jelly-like creature, which reeks like rotting eggs and bobs around in a small lagoon off the Tuckerton Creek tributary in New Jersey, is set to be removed at noon by an environmental management service.

Samples showed the creature was in fact a rotting algae formation that had recently died and had filled with gasses that had caused it to float to the lagoon surface.

NY TIMES

I wasn't able to get over there and take pics, it sure had alot of people worried around here. Alot were speculating that it was actually alive, many references were made to the old creature in the lagoon movie. I also heard the stench was awful and you could almost see smoke coming from it, sort of like how heat makes the air ripple.

ID

posted on Aug, 13 2003 @ 11:18 PM
link   
This is a very odd occurrence, I have never heard of that type of algae formation. It would be interesting to here how this thing came into existence. Clearly it is either a new species of algae or just a very rare occurrence.

posted on Aug, 13 2003 @ 11:25 PM
link   

I also heard the stench was awful and you could almost see smoke coming from it, sort of like how heat makes the air ripple.

That sounds like an escape of methane, however it could be sulphuric due to the presence of the rotting eggs smell, it depends on the strength of the smell, are there any vents or dormant volcanoes in the area?

I'm puzzled by this one, pics would be a huge help.

posted on Aug, 14 2003 @ 10:41 AM
link   

LITTLE EGG HARBOR TOWNSHIP, N.J. - It smells like rotten eggs at best, decomposing flesh at worst.

Of course it does...it IS Jersey after all....

ID

posted on Aug, 14 2003 @ 10:44 AM
link   

are there any vents or dormant volcanoes in the area?
Due to the fact that it is New Jersey I highly doubt the existence of dormant volcanos near this lagoon. I however am not an expert on this subject nor do I claim to be so it may very well be possible. One thing that is most likely near it is a landfill though as New Jersey has the highest number of them exceeding that of every other state.
I do not know if that could have somehow caused this rare formation.

posted on Aug, 14 2003 @ 11:01 AM
link   
No, actually there are no volcanoes of any sort or landfills in this area, its only about 10 minutes from the shore(Atlantic Ocean), so this particular area consists of alot of waterways and marshland.

I live in S Jersey and there are some landfills but the majority of our waste goes to the nortern part of the state, and I could be wrong but I think most of NYC's waste goes to Northern Jersey landfills as well.

I'm going to have to invite Gaz here to get rid of that horrible stereotype he has stuck in his head.

ID

posted on Aug, 14 2003 @ 11:09 AM
link   
No offense to you or the Garden State but I used to live in New Jersey and I would not go back for all the whisky in Ireland. And yes you are correct nearly all of New York Cities waste is dumped in northern New Jersey. I guess they figure why mess up New York when we can pay New Jersey to mess themselves up instead. Granted it gives the state more money I really don't think this is a wise move For New Jersey. I feel that it is a choice that will eventually it will come back to haunt them.

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 02:09 AM
link   

No, actually there are no volcanoes of any sort or landfills in this area

Yes there are... the entire state is a landfill. Why is it supprising that something smelly, disgusting, and really chubby should be found in NJ? Isn't that where Eagles fans come from?
just kidding (I'm a Redskins fan... I'm really just joking... plus I used to live there, so I claim the right to talk trash about NJ **pardon the pun**)

I'd really love to see a picture of this big glod of smelly what-not they found in a lagoon in New Jersey
... I say I want to see a picture of it, because that means someone else had to go near it.

That really doesn't sound like any alge I know of. I hope they finish their analysis of the 'blob' soon so I can know if I should just stay out of NJ or drive way out of the way to make sure I don't go near it.

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 02:24 AM
link   
No, the entire state is not a landfill, especially South Jersey. Good thing you lived here or else I'd have to set you straight.
J/K!

Last week, the state of New Jersey determined the mysterious blob wasn't harmful. Test results showed it was algae or vegetative waste. However, it remained -- floating and smelling.

OK, after searching and searching, here is a pic:

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Man that Blob thing looks disgusting. Do they have any idea what caused it? Or how it got there?

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Last week, the state of New Jersey determined the mysterious blob wasn't harmful. Test results showed it was algae or vegetative waste. However, it remained -- floating and smelling.

What test did they run, a taste test?
Algae or vegetative waste? There's a pretty big difference there... can't these morons can't look at it under a microscope and just figure it out? How can it be that hard to determine if it's living algae or dead plants?

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Well honostly i think the blob has in fact something completly differant from agle. if one was found in another part of thw world in july it must be something much differant...

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Would you care to elaborate on the one you said was found in another part of the world in July?

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Cnn reported what really causing NJ to stink...

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fury
Cnn reported what really causing NJ to stink...

BWA--HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA *makes a vacuum cleaner type sound of sucking in air* HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

posted on Aug, 18 2003 @ 02:16 AM
link   

The state Department of Environmental Protection poked at the blob...

And so the day was saved

Sorry, it's 2am, spam central.

posted on Aug, 18 2003 @ 02:25 AM
link   
Ok, that's it! Who be talking sh*t about NEW JERSEY?! Bring it, ye bastards!!! LMAO!

Seriously, I live in Central NJ, no landfills round here, but alot of junkyards. It's a decent place to live. Seriously...you couldn't get me OUT of NJ for all the whiskey in Ireland. I love it here. Rednecks, Metalheads, and alot of cool american muscle cars round my area. As far as that blod goes...figures it would be in South Jersey...after all....most ALL that nasty waste dumped at sea lands near there. YOU just don't KNOW about it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join