It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lyger

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 05:06 PM
link   
all of those who have seen :napolean dynaomite: have heard of the lyger, i have a friend who just claimed he saw one
i doubt it but has any1 here seen one

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 05:09 PM
link   
They're real, it's a cross between a Lion, and a Tiger.

Here's 2 links to pics of them.
www.tigers-animal-actors.com...
Link

(Mod Edit: Shortened Link)

[edit on 14-8-2006 by WyrdeOne]

[edit on 14-8-2006 by WyrdeOne]

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 05:10 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 05:11 PM
link   
ok cool thank you the google one doesnt work

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Lygers are real...they ~DO~ exist.
They have been born only under the constraints of captivity however. Lygers have never been known to exist in the wild.

There was one named Shasta at the HOGEL ZOO in Salt Lake. He lived a long life at the zoo, but passed away a few years back. They have his body stuffed and behind glass now.....

I still remember the ~NAME THE LYGER~ competition from when I was a kid.....I entered the name Smyger the Lyger, and it was clearly NOT chosen

[edit on 2-6-2005 by theRiverGoddess]

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by theRiverGoddess
Lygers are real...they ~DO~ exist.
They have been born only under the constraints of captivity however. Lygers have never been known to exist in the wild.

the reason that ligers dont exist in the wild is because when they mate lions and tigers, the cub comes out sterile.

large and beautiful animals they are!

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 02:59 PM
link   
They had some in the zoo in Florida

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Yep...

Oh, and vote for Pedro!

Personally, I thought it was a pretty dull movie, though the dance scene is worth the rental fee, I was cracking up!!!

posted on Aug, 13 2006 @ 05:26 PM
link   
woooow they are hugeee! reely kool aswel

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I don't want to sound bitter and twisted but why is it that a lot of the newer members are unable to use Google or Wikipedia

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 03:34 PM
link   
There Ligers and they are Tigons.

Source

The Liger is the result of breeding a female Tiger to a male Lion.

The Tigon is the result of breeding a male Tiger to a female Lion.

The Leopon is the result of breeding a male Leopard to a female Lion.

The Jaglion is the result of breeding a male Jaguar with a female Lion.

The Pumapard is the result of breeding a male Puma to a female Leopard.

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Another reason you wont see them in the wild is because lack of contact.

Tigers live in south and east Asia. Lions live in Africa. Thus, they have no contact in the wild, and no chance to breed.

Lions used to live in the middle east all the way to India, but I believe they are extinct now.

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Ligers are magnificent animals. The Tigon is not nearly as impressive.

I mean, just look at this -

Incredible. It's a shame they're so rare, and it's doubly unfortunate that they're sterile.

The ultimate in RAWR would be a liger exhibiting the sabretooth mutation, along with the gigantism. That's my kind of animal, sweet as pie and capable of devouring a Buick.

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 08:51 PM
link   
You guys are crazy!!! These things can't ever be fertile. They would outcompete the other predators or just straight up hunt them. If a breeding Lyger and Tigon got into the wild there'd be havoc.

It only be days before they evolved opposable thumbs, high brain functions and took over. And we will really need to worry about hybrids.

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by whywhywhymranderson
i have a friend who just claimed he saw one

They're pretty much my favourite animal.

posted on Aug, 14 2006 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Nah...

A predator of that size needs an enormous amount of food to stay alive. They inevitably end up hunting themselves into extinction.

I don't think they're well suited to life in the wild. Male lions are only big because they don't necessarily need to be fast and agile hunters, they're more suited to competing for mates. And tigers can't get much bigger without finding themselves unable to do what needs to be done to secure food. Imagine a 3 ton striped lump trying its best to hide behind a cluster of ferns...

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 04:21 AM
link   
i think lygers are really very intersting animals to study and research but they aren't very common so you can hardly see them and that's a shame

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Ligers and Tigons are not sterile, unlike mules and many other hybrid animals. Though fertility of these cats are low, offspring have been produced and survived through adulthood like in 1943 when a liger mated with a lion.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I used to work in a zoo in Oxfordshire and we had three gorgeous and gigantic ligers.

Ligers are prone to gigantism as its the male tigers that carry the growth gene for their species or something along those lines and continue to grow throughout their lives. The tion or tigon is prone to dwarfism.

Our ligers were amazing, the man who reared them still had a close bond with them and could train them. The zoo was there for media purposes so they'd be trained to roar or jump on que for example.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   
According to wiki:

According to Wild Cats of the World (1975) by C. A. W. Guggisberg, ligers and tigons were long thought to be sterile: In 1943, however, a fifteen-year-old hybrid between a lion and an 'Island' tiger was successfully mated with a lion at the Munich Hellabrunn Zoo. The female cub, although of delicate health, was raised to adulthood.

Oh and there are:

Ligers, Liguars, Liards, tigons, Tiguars, Tigards, Jaglions, Jaggers, Jagupards, Leopons, Doglas and Leguars... all hybrids!

<<   2 >>

join