It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help in left brainer way of study

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Hi , i am a left brainer from the test :

brain.web-us.com...

I am looking for a kinda of specific way of study for left brainer, and tried searching google, yahoo, ask jeeves . But so far no relevant result found.

I found this helpful www.metamath.com... but need more.

Is there any recommended way to study for left brainer? I feel my way of studying is wrong, i spent hours and hours of studying but could not get expected result. Thanks

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 04:33 AM
link   
I don't know about the left brain and how to study I do know that I watched a film called, "How to get and A+" and usng tips from there helped me a lot. Studying for hours at a time usually is not good. Go over the information and take a break. I would usually if possible read out loud so that I not only saw the information I heard it as well. I would sometimes record myself reading my notes out loud and then while I was doing housework I would listen to it. After taking a break I went back over the information. Another break and so forth. There was also tips on things to do just before taking a test. I'll look for this info and if I can find it I will post it for you.

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 04:38 AM
link   
go to google and put in study tips and believe me you will have plenty of help, try and find the video I mentioned above in the library or learning lab at your school if you have one. Good Luck!

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 07:48 PM
link   
thanks, i have tried googling however most of the information provided are similar.

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 08:42 PM
link   
i've been tutoring last semester and we went through a training for different learning styles. left brain students are better at logical thinking, analysis and accuracy.

the way to study, is to concentrate rather on facts, and learn the material in sequential, part-by-part style. start with a simple material and gradually increase the complexity in a logical manner.

it also helps, if you read the material and write an outline and first plan what you are going to learn, then sit down and follow your plan.

hope this helps, let me know if you need more help.

posted on May, 29 2005 @ 09:02 AM
link   
midnight fairy that is the way I studied in college, sadly in high school I just did not care. I used to take my notes and rewrite them starting with the simplest information using as few words as possible, with each fact I put a large dot beside the information to clarify where a new fact began, I then went though the whole sequence of info building to the end of the material.
I usually ended up with about 5-6 pages of notes but very concise notes and then I would study these I would go over them and then put them down go back later and go over them, each time I read the information the more I remembered, I usually scored a B or an A on all my tests.

posted on May, 29 2005 @ 10:35 AM
link   
being "left-brained" is more common than being "right-brained" (left handed people tend to be right-brained, while the opposite is true for those who are right handed)

Try different methods of studying, and find which suits you best. For me, I need things very organized and laid out as cold hard facts, but I am a math oriented person so that is how i understand my world (im so extreme as to apply social situations to math formulas to make better sense of them).

---Pineapple

posted on May, 29 2005 @ 08:32 PM
link   

You responded as a right brained person to 2 questions, and you responded as a left brained person to 16questions

I remember taking one of these tests in junior high, and I was the most left-brained person in the class. How I study depends on what sort of class it is.

If the course is something qualitative, like history, I will read all of the notes and as much of the text as I have time for. I don't concentrate on any one particular area of the course, I just try to cram as many facts as possible in my head, and hope that the right ones stick for the exam.

If the course is something quantitative, like math or physics, I don't usually look at the notes or text, except for examples, and any problem areas I have in the course. I take all of the year's assignments and all the examples, and I redo as many of them as I have time for, concentrating most particularly on any topics I had difficulty with.

I try to look for things in common in particular topics. For instance, in basic mechanics, it is extremely common to break things up into horizontal and vertical components. This is true whether you are dealing with forces, accelerations, velocities, etc. So I try to find near-universal stuff like that and make sure I know how to do it well.

I have to add that I'm not saying that this is the best way to study, but this is what I do. I'm in electrical engineering, and I've taken a lot of history for my electives. I'm not that smart; my gpa last year was 3.4 (out of 4) Since that's above average, and I don't feel too bright, I think my method of studying must work fairly well, at least for me.

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 07:46 AM
link   
"You responded as a right brained person to 0 questions, and you responded as a left brained person to 18questions. According to the Hemispheric Dominance test, you use your left brain the most." Haha, reading what it means to be a left brainer, i didn't need to take a test to tell me how i do things. But reading pineapples' post i found it interesting that i'm left brain and left handed and so forth. But can kick and throw perfectly with left and right.
Haha, i hope someone found this the least bit interesting.
-Tom

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Thanks guy for replying

I have been searching for a very good studying method, and have been constantly changing to find one. However, none seemed to be able to help me alot in improving my grades. I can study whole day from 9am to 1am, information does went into my brain. I can answer most questions in my exams and test papers. However the grades that came out are not what i have expected.

I have tried hypnosis CD that claimed that listening to it will help improve concentration and memory power, but it does not help either.

hmm, perhaps someone can assist me in improving my study method. This is how i study.

1) My lecturers would give us summarized notes to study, then after every lectures i would re summarized their notes and write in pieces of paper where i would study. Then during the re summarizing process , i would tried to understand the facts and memorize them.

--> Most often i find myself memorizing words by words.

--> Most often i would also find myself not being able to absorb what my lecturer said during the lectures. I can understand what they are talking, but not able to remember a thing after the lecture. It is because my lectures are held during the early morning, and that is when i feel tired and sleepy most , even though i slept enough.

--> I am a person who can study best at night, but my current timetable does not allow me to do so. All my tutorials and lecturers are held in the early morning, if i study at night i would not be able to wakeup in time.

2) My re summarized notes would consist of many pictures because i would remember much better with pictures. But i soon found out that not all words in my lecturer's summarized notes could be translated into pictures.

3) One week before tests , i would start to revise my re summarized notes, and the day before exam i would again revise my re summarized notes.

--> however all this process is very time consuming. For example one chapter of maybe 70 power point slides would take me 4-5 hours to complete. That 4-5 hours would include me re-summarizing and memorizing.

--> And, often i would find myself copying exactly the same sentence from my lecturer's summarized notes in my re-summarized notes.

4) Then after tests, i compare my results with my peers. They scored better than me. Most of them crammed their revisions in the last minutes before the test, that is they studied maybe 8 hours before the test and scored better than me who studied a week before the test. This make me more depressed.

--> From what i know, some also make their own summarized notes.

I would take 10minutes break after evey 1 hour i study,
i study better at night,
i study better with pictures,
i also do mindmap to relate everything after every summary i have done,
i would constantly revise my re-summarized notes as much as i could,
i also will ask my lecturers any parts of their notes i don't understand.

However of all i have done, my grades just would not improve.

I did go through all the test papers my lecturers returned to me, to see what went wrong. Most of the wrong answers are either careless or not to the point. However i know the summation of my test ,quizzes and lab reports would at least land me a "B" , but after getting back my overall results , it just ain't what i have expected.

Please help guys. Thanks.

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 05:07 AM
link   
eh, anyone can help with the method of study as above?

top topics

join