It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does Paypal conspire with ID fishing?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 06:20 PM
link   
I'm not sure this belongs here so If it needs to be moved I understand.

Anyway, here goes.

I received another fishing scam Paypal ID verify email last week and called Paypal to report it. They told me thank you and they would be on it immediately.

I also did a little digging and notified the host of the domain and the company that is the registar. This was a week ago and still noting has been done.
My beef is this. Can't Paypal simple prevent hotlinking of their site so these scammers can't create pages that pull up their content to create this fraud or is Paypal conspiring with the scammers for insurance benifits.

I understand that the scammers can simple copy the pages and set up shop on their server but they use the rollover link effect to further trick the victim.

I would think that if Paypal wasn't involved that this site would have already been pulled.

For those that don't know, (I assume 98% of Paypal users know) but for those that don't Paypal will never ask you to verify anything thru email.

Here's the link to the scammer site.

Warning!! DO NOT ENTER YOUR REAL INFO. THIS IS A FAKE SITE.ll62-3-161-251-62.ll62.iam.net.ma...

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Pay Pal stinks and its the worse of my nightmares- I would close that account you have

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I tried the link and it's pretty evil.

I don't believe in the PayPal conspiracy though. They have all the account information already, why bother?

In addition, I have stock in PayPal, and trust them 100%

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aelita
I don't believe in the PayPal conspiracy though. They have all the account information already, why bother?

What I am saying is that they allow the theft of the accounts so that it can be claimed with the FDIC when peoples accounts are wiped out and they file a regulation-e with their bank or card company.
For those that can't secure a refund from the theft maybe both Paypal and the scammer benefit. My opinion.

With all the money they are worth you would think they would protect their customers from this and have the site closed. I mean after all they are aware of it.

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lanotom
With all the money they are worth you would think they would protect their customers from this and have the site closed. I mean after all they are aware of it.

Check the domain. It's not in the US. It can be very difficult to carry out injunctions, search warrants etc across national borders. On top of it, phish sites can be quickly recreated if busted.

Edit: I just checked it, and it's in Africa.

[edit on 23-5-2005 by Aelita]

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 07:04 PM
link   
I did check the domain. The IP is 62.251.161.3

I understand it is outside the US but you would think that Paypal would have some juice to have it pulled.

descr: Morocco-MAROC TELECOM (ex-ONPT) - 6713
descr: MAROC TELECOM Noeud Internet
origin: AS6713

And I did contact both

[email protected]

[email protected]

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 10:16 AM
link   
In my personal experience, PayPal = Scam.

They claim that their services are free for personal use, that is only if the other person has the same paypal account, if not you end up paying fees.

I received £400 through paypal and I was charged about £30 just to receive it. I'm sorry but I don't see the 'free' in that?!

I've also heard many stories/rumours about people's accounts being randomly held and deleted, all the money being held and not much being heard about it.

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Hmmmm.... Seems the site is now pulled.

Maybe a reader here on ATS has more juice then Paypal.

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lanotom
Hmmmm.... Seems the site is now pulled.
Maybe a reader here on ATS has more juice then Paypal.

I told you I was a major shareholder

Paypal rulez

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aelita
[
I told you I was a major shareholder

Paypal rulez

LMAO What did you use. Netcraft

toolbar.netcraft.com...

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 10:46 AM
link   
From another thread on ATS

www.abovetopsecret.com...

This guy is phishing Paypal passwords too.

From his website.

When you create your Pay Pal account, you must use the same email address and password that you put in the fields below.

www.prophetyahweh.com...

So if you are new to Paypal you are duped into using the same info for both sites. Then they have record of your Paypal username and password.

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 12:36 PM
link   
pb91.zakopane.sdi.tpnet.pl:5254...

Boy it don't take these crooks long now does it.

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Here's a couple of quiz's that has been set up to teach people how to spot fake emails one's for UK, I think the other's for America.

survey.mailfrontier.com...

survey.mailfrontier.com...

and this site has a free tool that spots most phishing sites and you can report sites using thier email address

www.antiphishing.org/index.html

[edit on 24/5/05 by Stranger Dreamer]

top topics

join