It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Founding Fathers + Christianity = ???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 05:30 PM
link   
earlyamerica.com...://ww

I know that if you're an American you've heard that this country was founded on Christianity, and most people just accept that as fact. But recently I came across this website and found that there is far more evidence prooving the oppisite. In fact, after reading this I realized that the people who often say that America was founded on Christianity never provide any sort of historical proof. I thought I'd share this website with the rest of the ATS members and see what they think.

*I find the Treaty of Tripoli to be the most compelling piece of evidence.

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Your probably not getting any response to this because this has been discussed at length here several times before....there is a lot interesting on this subject below...you may want to use the search function to find some of the older links....very good reading/learning...which is what ATS is all about!

www.sullivan-county.com...

www.nobeliefs.com...

www.rapidnet.com...

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Thanks for sharing this. I've seen other articles and web sites with similar information but this one seems to be the best - I had not seen the Tripoly thing.

I'm never quite sure where people get the idea that this is a Christian nation or a nation founded on Christianity. There can be no doubt that a large majority of the people currenly living as US citizens consider themselves to be Christian. In fact, a Constitutional Amendment making Christianity the official religion of the US would probably pass easily if put on a general election ballot. That's a testament to the lack of a good history curriculum in our school systems more than any other reason, I believe.

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 07:05 PM
link   

In fact, a Constitutional Amendment making Christianity the official religion of the US would probably pass easily if put on a general election ballot

Huh? I very much doubt that.

If the founders wanted the US ot be a christian nation, then they'd've done so. Instead they made it a constituional republic. They looked to Rome and Sparta for their model, not the vatican or the holy roman empire. Its inspiration is Plato's Republic, moreso than Augustine's City of God.

Many of the founders were ferverant biblicists, lots of others were not 'bible backers', and lots of them were Deists, a group that doesn't seem to exist at all today. They were interseted in founding a secular nation, and listened to Locke and the like , not the Disciples and Saints, when creating it.

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 12:26 PM
link   
werent the founding fathers mostly protestants?

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Here's a couple of suggestions; I think they just might help out.

It might be a good idea to see if your potential thread could already exist. If this be the case, it is better to post your thoughts in that thread, rather than starting another thread that is identical or very closely related.

Another thought might be to post in the proper forum. There are several forums here at P-ATS, one of which is Religion in Government Issues. This really sounds like a thread for that forum.

Why, looky! Trickmaster started a thread dealing with this very concept several months ago!
politics.abovetopsecret.com...

Today, it is even the top thread in the forum!

Enough with the tongue in cheek thing; my tongue is hurting!

Nygden, read my rather lengthy post (Yeah, I know, I talk too much), and you'll see that was very much their intent that this be a Christian nation.

You might suggest that their hopes didn't pan out, as the nation seems to have gotten corrupt, anyway. My response to this is, I don't think there was any way for them to foresee large corporations that would operate without a human heart to keep Christian ethics and principles at the forefront.

join