It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

favorite

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 08:27 PM
link   
so what is everybody favorite cryptid. Mine is mothman

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 11:15 PM
link   
I'm gonna have to say Dragons. Their myth encompasses the whole globe, they are (sometimes) intelligent, beautiful and fearsome.
They have inspired so many legends and modern fiction writers and other artists.
I know theres not much evidence of their (continued) existence and I probably wouldn't want to meet one, but they really are awesome.

I wanted to add that the Mongolian Death Worm is really cool too.

[edit on 16-5-2005 by ilandrah]

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 12:30 AM
link   
It's gonna be a real shocker when I also say... Dragons!

Ogopogo, Loch Ness, and other sea monsters are pretty cool, too. So is the Mongolian Death worm ilandrah mentioned; I just read about that recently.

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 02:56 AM
link   
IT couldnt be more obvious that my fav is bigfoot.

Next to him is the Chupacabra and the loch ness monster. Yeah they are the 3 most popular ones but they are the ones I believe and love to talk about.

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 03:11 AM
link   
i would have to say my favorite would also be dragons. being into both medievil history as well as d&d i have to wonder why

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 04:02 AM
link   
Hands down the most popular cryptid (to me at least) is Bigfoot because he portrays humans wild side.

Oh, and he could kick a Dragons butt any day of the week.

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 10:11 AM
link   
This really is kind of BTS stuff, as it amounts to a simple poll...

But there really isn't an appropriate forum suitable....

How about we at least try and explain our answers, as some have done....and we'll see if we can't keep it here, hmm?

Mine?

Dragons.

I just find it fascinating that a similar creature is depicted throughout various cultures, especially one as elaborate as a fire breathing giant reptile that can also fly. Surely there must be SOME basis in fact for such a creature, as it's unlikely that all of these peoples simply invented the same kind of creature.

Also, I too am a big medieval nut, and have dabbled in various RPG's such as D&D, etc. The dragon is a magestic, wise, and terrifying creature, meant to be the pinnacle of evolution in such settings. Whether simply misidentified dino bones, or perhaps a descendent of the ancient dinos, they remain to me, the most fascinating of the cryptids.

I beg to differ with Zanzibar on the Bigfoot vs. Dragon faceoff. The Dragon has the advantage of making strafing attacks with fire....kind of tough to beat in a physical combat....

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 10:19 AM
link   
I'm very tempted to move this to ChitChat, however seeing that Gazrok has made an attempt to get this thread going in a more appropriate manner, I'll follow suit and let it stay, however if it ends up being a thread full of one liners, i will move it.

My favorite cryptoid has to be the Chupacabra, followed by Bigfoot and then the Lochness and other monstrous sea creatures. Dragons are very fascinating and have great fables and legends behind them, but I have no hopes of hearing of a dragon find. The Chupacabra is more current and there is still a possibility that one day one of these creatures might be caught/found.

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Well I hope I'm not suppose to choose only one, as there are a few cryptozzological creatures that I like.

The Chupacobra, becasue it reminds me of an alien.

Bigfoot, because it might be the missing link in our evolutionary tree, and its the only cryptid that has been spotted in the state that I reside in.

The Thunderbird, because I had a dream about one, before I ever eve heard of it.

and finaly

The dragon, because they seem very likely to exist or have existed, and they are very cool.

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

I beg to differ with Zanzibar on the Bigfoot vs. Dragon faceoff. The Dragon has the advantage of making strafing attacks with fire....kind of tough to beat in a physical combat....

Yeah, but some Bigfoots have been described as having paranormal qualities so maybe they can teleport and slit your dragons throat!

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 04:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zabzibar
Yeah, but some Bigfoots have been described as having paranormal qualities so maybe they can teleport and slit your dragons throat!

LMAO I second that. I actually cant stand dragons. Chupacabra and Bigfoot can take on a dragon any day.

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I would have to say my fav cryptid is the thylacines, at least for now. With some luck hopefully they can be "brought back" from extinction. I don't mean by use of DNA in a lab, but by finding that they survive in the wild like the Ivory Bill recently was. After them I think Mothman is a really intresting case that has been well researched.
The most likely cryptid to be proven real would be a form of Sea Serpent, I think, as the Earth is covered by something like 70% water and we've done more exploring of the moon (yeah I know thats a seprate topic in itself) then of the sea floors.

JWB

posted on May, 29 2005 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Mine is the Thunderbird, followed by sasquatch. The two most believable I think, also the whole sea serpent, lake monster thing is very interesting, I don't believe for a second that they're pleisiasaurs, but still very interesting.

posted on May, 29 2005 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Choosing just one cryptid it would have to be another Dragon lover here. I love the myths and fables that are associated with them. I watched a Fantasy documentary on them on TV. It was fascinating to watch a myth become a reality by scientific means.

[edit on 29-5-2005 by Queen of the Damned]

posted on May, 29 2005 @ 12:13 PM
link   
omg, u no what? my favourite is going to be surprising to everyone... Dragons. i don't know why exactly, its not the fact that they pop up all over history, even though that is interesting in itself, but i just like the majesty of them. the wingspan, and all the rest. all over my room are small and large dragon statues, dragon fountains, and a plasma ball with a dragon circulating around it. very impressive.. i'd love for someone to discover the remains of some, that'd be the find of the millenium. to know that something that was classed as a myth was in fact true...

posted on May, 30 2005 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Mine is definitly dragons. Its funny how almost every culture had a different type of dragons even though they never had any connection of any sort

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 04:51 AM
link   
if a criptyd is an elusive creature i would have to go with a...nice mother-in-law would be my favorite

JWB

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 09:48 PM
link   
OH Yeah, and the Jersey Devil, not the stupid hillbilly story about the lady who said she hopes her baby becomes a devil or something, but the actual strange creature, kinda looks like a sea horse on land.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Probably some sort of Reptile-bird missing link I think. People at the time only had horses as a reference point, so the goofy looking head. The "shrieks" of this animal are still heard to this day in remote parts of that area(still land in Jersey that modern people have never stepped foot on), weird little fact.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 12:41 AM
link   
id say the name of it but i dont know what it is. all i know is what it looks like because i saw it one day. all i can say about it is that it was just like an owl, only it was about 5 or 6 feet taall. it was very high up in the tree tops and it would just sit there for hours. ive only seen it once but i hope that whatever it was it will return. if anybody has an idea of what it could be please notfy me.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by bubble boy
id say the name of it but i dont know what it is. all i know is what it looks like because i saw it one day. all i can say about it is that it was just like an owl, only it was about 5 or 6 feet taall. it was very high up in the tree tops and it would just sit there for hours. ive only seen it once but i hope that whatever it was it will return. if anybody has an idea of what it could be please notfy me.

Was it a black trash bag stuck in a tree? Seriously, what type of features did it have? Did you see it move/fly away? Perhaps this deserves a thread of it's own if you can come up with a detailed description/sketch of what you think you saw.

<<   2 >>

join