It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

where does the time go?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2003 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I was just wondering if any one has any theories regarding the passing of time, in other word what happens to time when it passes, and where does it go?

posted on Aug, 2 2003 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Time doesn't actually exist in the first place, my friend. It's all to do with Einsteins theory of relativity.
Time is measured by the speed of light, 186,000 miles per second.
So in theory if we could travel at this speed, time would stop, in fact everything as we know it would just stop because we measure our 3rd dimensional reality by light.
Quantum physicists have managed to accelerate a particle to 97.7% of the speed of light and noticed that the particle lives 30 times its original lifespan!!!
It is quite interesting that as each year goes by, we find ourselves saying "I can't believe another year has gone, time's flown by", this is because time is actually speeding up relative to the speed of earth's spin and its orbit round the sun.

Anyway, take care, and remember, "Time waits for no man"!!!!!!!!

posted on Aug, 2 2003 @ 09:27 PM
link   
The Langoliers eat it up!

posted on Aug, 2 2003 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by BiohazardMouse
The Langoliers eat it up!

Of all Stephen King's stuff, that short scared me the worst.
Probably because I can't quite get my brain to wrap around the whole "what is time" thing.
Hence my running away from this thread like my a$$ is on fire.

-B.

posted on Aug, 2 2003 @ 09:32 PM
link   
well unscientifically speaking
i don't know where time goes it seems to go by soo fast these days

posted on Aug, 5 2003 @ 05:59 PM
link   
"time" is a difficult concept to grasp, because it is solely based on perspective. We measure it, in the more common forms, here on Earth based on the cycles of rotation and revolutions around the Sun. There are better methods now to calculate "time", but in actuality, the only way you can measure time on a universal level would be very limited and very direct.

it would have to be something basic, like molecular movement or decay within spatial matter, perhaps. of course, they would all have to be in sync with each other, the whole damn idea fails. Movement of stars is still taken as a measurement of time, but I believe this is inaccurate. A good way to measure time may be to pinpoint the distance between the Universe's most extreme borders to the actual starting point of the entire Universe. That way you would have a number that tells you how far the final reaches of this existence are from the very beginning of that same enclosure of existence good luck to getting that figure

With that figure, you can calculate how long things have existed as well as how much time passes moment by moment. You can deduce this by applying the distance number with the rate of its expansion. Logically, if the rate of expansion increases, so will the progression of said time. Ideally, the Universe's rate of expansion will always remain the same.

It is also thought that powerful influences, such as gravity, can have an effect on the progress of time. I doubt this, mostly because we have not truly experimented with that idea. I don't see how flying into a black hole will slow things down. It may slow the perception of time down, yes, but actual time would be mostly unaffected.

I would not take stock in Einstein's theories of the speed of light in relation to time. He was wrong about a space filled with "ether" (which could very well be dark matter) and he does not practice the true form of physics, which incorporates 5 primary dimensions: length, width, depth, time/space, and energy. This is why he was unable to successfully create a Unified Field Theory, along with everyone else studying along the lines of todays generally-accepted principles of modern physics.

Also, I doubt that the speed of light is the absolute limit of all speeds possible. I don't think that travelling at that rate would have any effect on time, despite the silly watch experiments conducted on Earth and Einstein's relativity theory of going and coming back to earth at that speed. The perception MAY slow down, yes, but that does not mean the molecular movement of matter has been altered in anyway. Just because you are moving incredibly fast does not mean that the rate of time is changing, but in fact, only your perspective of it is.

Think: If you left the Earth with a star ship capable of travelling at warp speeds (its coming soon), how in the hell is that going to affect the billions of people that are still on Earth? It isnt! What does the fact that you travelled so far so fast have to do with the current state of existence on Earth? NOTHING!!! So you come back after 20 years (or 20 Cosmotron, the unit I just invented for the measurement of Universal Time) and land and go back to your house. Your spouse is 20 years older, and just about everything has aged because you left 20 years ago. Even if you went 400 light years to Alnilam and made it back to Earth within a period of a month, this should really have no effect on a grand scale to others. He may *feel* that the trip to Alnilam and back, say about 3 days, was like minutes or seconds. But again, that's only perception of time and not the observation of its progress. The one does not affect the many in this case, though I have no idea what happens to molecular movement within the human travelling at that speed. I would assume it would be unchanged as he would be on a craft and not doing it by himself by flapping his arms or whatever

join