It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Explosive situation in Yellowstone

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2003 @ 04:23 PM
link   
You mean what that thing blows up that I will be blown to hell! I live in SLC Utah that is not very far from Yellowstone.

posted on Aug, 5 2003 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof

Originally posted by dragonrider

"We're thinking this structure could be a precursor to an hydrothermal explosive event," Morgan said last week. "But we don't think this is a volcano."

www.codyenterprise.com...

With all due respect Sir,
Young DR. Morgan is on top of it, you are here, please give respect where respect is due. I have respected your posts, but this one is undeserving. The young Dr. is doing her best and risking her life so we may chastize her.
Proud American
Known as White Panther

You know DR, I think Dr. Morgan should be fired!
Why?
Cause if she is working for the USGS and can make a comment such as: "But we don't think this is a volcano"...... she is flat out lying or miserably incorrect!
Her conclusion(s) are flawed and unfounded and only speak volumes of her lack of study and knowledge of Yellowstone and its geological historic past.
I have found that geological surveys have been made concluding that Yellowstone is indeed a volcano.
And not just a volcano, but a CALDERA super-volcano.
That there are 6 more world-wide just like Yellowstone....all considered super-volcanoes.
Granted it may take a 100,000+ years of so before such an eruption might or could occur, but nevertheless, she is wrong.....

I also found this graphic showing the effect a super-volcano at Yellowstone would have:
(*edit* picture was too big but can be found on the link I provide below for space.com)

And these multiple links confirming such:

www.totse.com...

www.solcomhouse.com...

vulcan.wr.usgs.gov...

exodus2006.com...

www.space.com...

armageddononline.tripod.com...

volcanoes.usgs.gov...

volcanoes.usgs.gov...

regards
seekerof

[Edited on 5-8-2003 by Seekerof]

posted on Aug, 5 2003 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I wonder if someone could track down nuclear power plants or anything nuclear/chem/bio orientated close to yellowstone?

posted on Aug, 5 2003 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Yes Tut...I erred when I mentioned what I did.
I was merely taken aback by what she indicated after I found what I did.
But I will offer my apologies for saying she should be fired.
And thank you for the correction.

regards
seekerof

posted on Aug, 7 2003 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Idaho National Engineering & Environmental Laboratory (INEEL) is 100 miles from Yellowstone. The site originally built the reactors for subs but has since expanded its mission. They build experimental reactors here now. Here's the zinger. Home to the largest concentration of reactors in the world. 32. Also of interest; there have been several "security breaches" this year.

[Edited on 10-8-2003 by kukla]

posted on Aug, 7 2003 @ 04:01 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 8 2003 @ 12:10 PM
link   
By Greg Lavine
The Salt Lake Tribune

Scientists are increasing geothermal monitoring efforts in Yellowstone National Park in response to an unusual spike in activity that has closed part of Norris Geyser Basin.
With ground temperatures in some spots reaching the boiling point of water, 212 degrees, visitors have been prohibited from hiking along a back basin trail. There is no danger to visitors in other sections of the park.
"It's not an emergency," said University of Utah geophysicist Robert Smith, a coordinating scientist with the Yellowstone Volcano Observatory. "It's kind of a scientific urgency."
Researchers from the Yellowstone Volcano Observatory, including Smith, are in Norris Geyser Basin this week setting up temporary monitoring equipment. Among the tools being deployed are seven broadband seismometers and five GPS sensors, said Jake Lowenstern, a U.S. Geological Survey researcher who is the observatory's director.
Broadband seismometers, capable of picking up tiny ground movements, will be used to detail the water moving just below the surface, he said. GPS monitors will record side-to-side and up-and-down ground movements.
In July, the National Park Service closed 5,800 feet of trail crossing geothermally active areas in the back basin, on the park's west side. The increased activity prompted Porkchop geyser to erupt for the first time since 1989.

www.sltrib.com...

[Edited on 8-8-2003 by Valhall]

posted on Aug, 8 2003 @ 01:13 PM
link   
"It's not an emergency," said University of Utah geophysicist Robert Smith, a coordinating scientist with the Yellowstone Volcano Observatory. "It's kind of a scientific urgency."

What the hell kind of statement is that??

"No sir, your head is not of Fire. It's what us scientist like to call Cranial Elemental Aggrivation!"

posted on Aug, 8 2003 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Interesting press release from Yellowstone today.

volcanoes.usgs.gov...

TEMPORARY HYDROTHERMAL MONITORING PROGRAM TO BEGIN AT NORRIS GEYSER BASIN: 8 August 2003

In response to notably increased heat and steam emissions in parts of Norris Geyser Basin, the Yellowstone Volcano Observatory will deploy a temporary network of seismographs, Global Positioning System (GPS) receivers, and temperature loggers. The temporal deployment is intended to document chemical and physical signals that accompany this increased activity, to identify the underground locations of hydrothermal steam sources and the relationship of the Norris geyser basin to the background general seismicity, and crustal deformation of the Yellowstone caldera. It may also detect any precursory signals to geyser eruptions and hydrothermal explosions.

The GPS equipment is designed to detect very small movements of the earth, and the seismic array can measure earthquakes associated with flow of thermal water and earthquakes located on buried faults. Seven seismometers, that record a wide range of seismic frequencies typical of hydrothermal and volcanic systems, called broadbands, will be placed throughout the Norris Geyser Basin, five of them within and around the hydrothermal disturbed area itself. These "broadband" seismometers are especially sensitive to the long-wavelength ground vibrations that occur as water and gas move through underground cracks as well as deeper volcanic sources.

The seismic array will be complimented by high precision GPS receivers that precisely measure the coordinates of points on the ground from data transmitted by an array of satellites that can be compared with each other to measure the relative ground velocities through time. These data compliment Yellowstone�s permanent GPS network.

Movements of the ground associated with underground pulses of water and steam (including geyser eruptions) may be detected by this new technology. Thermometers placed in hot springs and creeks will continuously document the flow of water out of the geyser basin. The scientists hope to link individual pulses of water, changes in their chemistry and temperatures to pressures in the earth. This information may provide information on ground motions and seismic signals that precede them.

The Norris Back Basin has been closed since July 23, 2003, after formation of new mud pots, changes in geyser activity, and significantly increased ground temperatures (up to 200 degrees Fahrenheit) in some areas near the Back Basin trail. Additional observations include vegetation dying due to thermal activity and the changing of several geysers' eruption intervals. The heightened rate of steam discharge has continued to the present time.

posted on Aug, 8 2003 @ 11:07 PM
link   
They are saying it's going to blow very soon.

posted on Aug, 9 2003 @ 09:36 AM
link   
This (DR's) thread's link has been featured on the prep2003 message board.

Someone on that board provided the following link.

www.solcomhouse.com...

posted on Aug, 9 2003 @ 09:45 AM
link   
The thing that is alarming me the most about this is that it seems to be hitting the wire daily...which is unusual for most natural phenomena. I mean, most the time these type things get completely ignored.

Saturday 9th August 2003
Scientists plan to set up a temporary network of seismographs, Global Positioning System receivers and thermometers to monitor increasing hydrothermal activity in the Norris Geyser Basin and gauge the risk of a hydrothermal explosion. The goal of the Yellowstone Volcano Observatory is to pinpoint underground sources of hydrothermal steam and learn more about how seismic activity affects the basin.
Scientists do not expect a volcanic eruption. However, small hydrothermal explosions occur in the park almost every year. Usually they are not noticed until after the fact. The Norris Back Basin has been closed since July 23 due to the formation of new mud pots, changes in geyser activity and much higher ground temperatures, as hot as 200 degrees in some areas. Vegetation has been dying due to thermal activity and altered eruption intervals for several geysers. Increased steam discharge has been continuing, according to park officials. Hydrothermal activity has been increasing each year in the basin, but the increase in recent weeks has been especially rapid.

posted on Aug, 9 2003 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by energy_wave
They are saying it's going to blow very soon.

Were did you hear this from?? Or is this just your opinion.

Who is They??

posted on Aug, 9 2003 @ 10:41 AM
link   
This is old news but wow...

A major, magnitude-7.9 earthquake that rocked Alaska on Sunday apparently triggered scores of earthquakes some 2,000 miles away at Yellowstone National Park in Wyoming. By 8:30 a.m. MST Monday Nov. 4 - about 17 hours after the Alaskan quake - more than 200 small earthquakes had been detected occurring in clusters throughout the Yellowstone area. The quakes were recorded by the Yellowstone seismic network operated by the University of Utah Seismograph Stations

www.scienceblog.com...

www.bepreparedtc.com...

posted on Aug, 9 2003 @ 01:59 PM
link   
2002 USGS Yellowstone Report:
Post-Glacial Inflation-Deflation Cycles, Tilting, and Faulting in the Yellowstone Caldera Based on Yellowstone Lake Shorelines
pubs.usgs.gov...

Highlights:

The Yellowstone caldera, like many other later Quaternary calderas of the world, exhibits dramatic unrest. Between 1923 and 1985, the center of the Yellowstone caldera rose nearly one meter along an axis between its two resurgent domes (Pelton and Smith, 1979, Dzurisin and Yama#a, 1987). From 1985 until 1995-6, it subsided at about two cm/yr (Dzurisin and others, 1990). More recent radar interferometry studies show renewed inflation of the northeastern resurgent dome between 1995 and 1996; this inflation migrated to the southwestern resurgent dome from 1996 to 1997 (Wicks and others, 1998)�.

Although the postglacial deformation record does not indicate voluminous magma accumulation or other large-scale eruption precursors, strong local deformation associated with hydrothermal centers does suggest the possibility of future hydrothermal explosions and associated hazards�.

The Yellowstone caldera was covered with about 1 km glacial ice about 17-20 ka. Deglaciation and the reduction in pressure by about 90 bars was not accompanied by volcanic eruptions, suggesting the magmatic system was not then, and perhaps not now, at pressures high enough for eruption.

I wonder what they�re thinking now? I would think that any large explosion would have to be proceeded by at least one smaller explosion. Hopefully enough time to prepare. But lets face it, if the whole caldera was to blow, I'd think lights out for at least a year.

posted on Aug, 9 2003 @ 02:04 PM
link   
UNLV students preparing to create an earthquake on Monday

www.klastv.com...

What coincidental timing..?

posted on Aug, 9 2003 @ 02:19 PM
link   
No kidding, couldn't they take a 3 day weekend and just do it Tuesday. I'm not really superstitious but then again I don't look for black cats, ladders and walk around breaking mirrors on purpose either!!

I guess I better make this weekend count huh?!?!?

Wait, I just noticed...Tuesday is the 12th...so that isn't good either. In fact no body needs to be poking at the damn volcano!!! Throw in a virgin or two and pray for the best if anything?!?!

[Edited on 9-8-2003 by mOjOm]

posted on Aug, 9 2003 @ 03:30 PM
link   
What would be the effect of an eruption?
Immediately before the eruption, there would be large earthquakes in the Yellowstone region. The ground would swell further with most of Yellowstone being uplifted. One earthquake would finally break the layer of rock that holds the magma in - and all the pressure the Earth can build up in 640,000 years would be unleashed in a cataclysmic event.
Magma would be flung 50 kilometres into the atmosphere. Within a thousand kilometres virtually all life would be killed by falling ash, lava flows and the sheer explosive force of the eruption. Volcanic ash would coat places as far away as Iowa and the Gulf of Mexico. One thousand cubic kilometres of lava would pour out of the volcano, enough to coat the whole of the USA with a layer 5 inches thick. The explosion would have a force 2,500 times that of Mount St. Helens. It would be the loudest noise heard by man for 75,000 years, the time of the last super volcano eruption. Within minutes of the eruption tens of thousands would be dead.

The long-term effects would be even more devastating. The thousands of cubic kilometres of ash that would shoot into the atmosphere could block out light from the sun, making global temperatures plummet. This is called a nuclear winter. As during the Sumatra eruption a large percentage of the world's plant life would be killed by the ash and drop in temperature. Also, virtually the entire of the grain harvest of the Great Plains would disappear in hours, as it would be coated in ash. Similar effects around the world would cause massive food shortages. If the temperatures plummet by the 21 degrees they did after the Sumatra eruption the Yellowstone super volcano eruption could truly be an extinction level event.

posted on Aug, 9 2003 @ 04:09 PM
link   
That nuclear silo converted into a house is sounding better and better.

www.silohome.com...

Install a huge tank of natural gas and redundant genearators
Install an even larger tank of water filled with the five wells already onsite
Install grey water recycling system
Install air recycler
Build hydroponic gardens
Store wind turbines for later installation

A group of individuals could form a partnership with equitable investment, purchase the property and modify this place or something similar, to withstand an ELE. 20,000 sf is probably sufficient for mm..50?

Minimum bid on eBay was $2.1 M.
Figure $.4 M for modification and readiness.
$2.5 M divided by 50 �
$50K a head.

Any takers?

posted on Aug, 9 2003 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Well, it's been a month since I've gone to Montana. I went almost to the entrance of Yellowstone in September. Nothing happened while I was there.

[Edited on 8-10-2003 by darklanser]

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join