It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Silent Conspiracy of the Lurkers

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by balon0
Well isnt it true when ever anyone opens that thread, it counts as a view? It could be just the same people who replied are viewing the thread over and over again just to read any other followups on it. I often check threads that interests me at least 10 to 20 times a day. And sure I reply but not everytime i view it.

Exactly.

Words not to make this a one-word reply:

Fruitpie.

Oracle.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Tebyen hit it on the nose, all the reasons stated on his/her list, those are reasons why I don't post.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Icarus Rising
Of course not. Just pointy out that 99%+ seems like alot of apathy or something, even taking into account re-reads and multiple replies.

You got an ax to grind or something? Bone to pick with me?

Well I have been an ATS member for about a year now, yet have made very few posts. I love to see both sides of a debate to learn from. ATS is a powerhouse of information - from any political/ religious/ social standpoint. It isn't so much a conspiracy as it is just morbid curiosity for many.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I thought you lost 20 points for one word replys???

Hi Icarus!

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I certainly qualify as a "lurker".

I visit ATS for information and to remind
myself that others are also interested in
the "far out stuff" which i think about.

I guess one reason I have hestitated to
start a thread is that it seems there's always
someone who "lives" on ATS who will reply,

"oh, we've already spoken about that . . . . "

this sorta stuff makes it less attractive to reply/post.

that said, in general I find ATS to be very welcoming
to newcomers (hating the "newbie" phrase-ology)

cheers______*

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Have I lurked in the past? Yes

Do you want to know why...?

Because I relly am not considering it worth my while to answer the 3rd post for the day on Evolution Vs Creationism, Have you ever seen a UFO or Are mutant Zombies from Mars making collect calls from my home-phone.

I answer posts that have a bit of substance or are good for a laugh,

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 07:41 PM
link   

(Snips) Originally posted by Icarus Rising
We all have something to say . . . The important thing, to me, is that people post freely without the concern of being labeled inane or pointless. . . Every member is entitled to share their opinion or comments . . .

I couldn't agree more, that's why I can't help but play devil's advocate every once in while. It presents new angles.

I am not disgruntled nor do I have any problems with the threads, mods, my fellow ATSers, (not even Icarus or his/her avatar!) or the site in general. I just have to look at areas that might not have already been posted by others in order to broaden things a bit.

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 06:08 AM
link   
Spoken like a true ATSer! Well met. That is exactly the thing that keeps this site so interesting.

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Busted but not because you would think. I work for the Air Force and don't think it is appropriete to comment on things.

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 12:13 AM
link   

It appears there may be a major conspiracy active right here on ATS

It has to do with the 99%+ viewers of the average thread that don't have a reply.

Are that many just not interested? Why would they even click on the thread, then? No comment for 99%. That seems statistically remote to me. Everybody has an opinion, Tupac said so. Why don't more people who read them respond to threads? Even when there are responses, most of them are back and forth between a couple or three people. Why don't more readers respond?

Do they have a motive to monitor? Keeping an eye on things? A vicarious TV bred dis-association that precludes actual interaction? What is it? I am curious. Partly because I'm a strong believer in symbiotic relationships, and partly because I like to challenge perceived apathy in all its forms, if that is what this is.

Nobody will know unless you lurkers hanging around out there respond to this or another thread and explain yourselves! Don't be thread parasites. Engage in the discussion or mind your own business!

I'm being harsher than I really feel or intend in order to try and stir some passion in the leeching lurkers.

Show yourselves!

No one replies becuase no one takes you people seriously. I used to reply under a different name. I would make logical arguments pointing out that sources of independant information ( like this site) , are ussualy made up of 14 year olds that talk out of thier a$$es . This site is in a " spiral into insanity" . The ridiculous posts just fuel the fire. No one on here is taken seriously, get over it .

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Spoken like a true ATSer! Well met. That is exactly the thing that keeps this site so interesting.

AhAHAHAHAHA new opinions like what ???

My favorite is " President Bush is a reptillian."

or what about the secret underground bases that no one can ever seem to find?.......................

I honestly think there are no skeptics left on this board, just " experts" .

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Minion has proved my point that lurking is definitely not a bad pursuit for some to remain engaged in. Let's face it, some people are just so acerbic in nature that they can do little more than take pot shots from the nose-bleed seats, even if it takes two posts to vent their senseless ramblings to no pratical avail.

And don't ever forget, 'from the mouths of babes comes the wisdom of the ages'.

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 05:43 PM
link   

..............confused silence (not necessarily a bad thing), ulterior motives (big brother had better be watching)? Don't be shy, let it fly! If you have questions, pick the appropriate forum and ask 'em. Do a search, read and add to existing threads. Start a new one. Go for it.

MauiStacey, thanks for the shout out. You rock.

I would not call it " confused silence". I would rather call it , " these people need thier brains examined".

refer to " Bush is a reptillian" .

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by ROMAD
Busted but not because you would think. I work for the Air Force and don't think it is appropriete to comment on things.

What has working for the Air Force got to do with you posting or not - unless of course you are logging at work.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lady of the Lake

Originally posted by ROMAD

What has working for the Air Force got to do with you posting or not - unless of course you are logging at work.

We are always under the gun when it comes to activism and speach. I work in networks and we monitor all activities on our networks. The NSA does the rest of the internet. I am sure that DOJ is monitoring these sites for potential problem children. I have to be very PC when it comes to this kind of stuff. I am sure that a tracelog is being sent back to the "them and the theys"

Just kidding. See I really do have a sense of humor, just a bit off kilter. But really, I think most folks in these forums are looking for a way to vent thier fears and frustations. It is fun to read and just imagine a world where everyone knew everything they wanted to ever know. Alas it will never be until this world passes way or we do.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 09:51 PM
link   
i'm here! you got me!

Odd

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by ixc77
in a way, this site is just another form of entertainment under the guise of intellectual discussion.

bingo. couldn't have said it better myself.

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by xenofab
I certainly qualify as a "lurker".

I visit ATS for information and to remind
myself that others are also interested in
the "far out stuff" which i think about.

I guess one reason I have hestitated to
start a thread is that it seems there's always
someone who "lives" on ATS who will reply,

"oh, we've already spoken about that . . . . "

this sorta stuff makes it less attractive to reply/post.

Exactly! Every time that I want to post something or ask something, it has already been covered by someone else. Why should I post something just to have someone reply to tell me that it has already been mentioned???
Icarus Rising, you need to take it easy man, maybe your the conspiracy? who knows, maybe I actually work for the govt. and am here to keep an eye on you, for all you know!

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Ilurk without posting alot because I have a short attention spand and sometimes I

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I attempt to post but recently I've gone lurker. I think it's because i view half a thread or so and lose interest. I answer threads I'm interested in contributing to, but sometimes it's just waiting for a member to post something in answering a question and so on.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join