It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boeing loss 3rd Quarter is 6 billion dollars

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2024 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Full title of the article is : Boeing Suffers $6 Billion Loss in 3rd Quarter, CEO Calls for Fundamental Cultural Changes

This quarter loss was $6.174 billion, compared with a $1.638 billion loss in the previous quarter. IMO it is better to hire by qualifications instead of quotas .

Boeing reported a massive loss of $6 billion in the third quarter, just hours before a labor vote on Wednesday. The company’s president and CEO, Kelly Ortberg, stated that it needs fundamental changes in its culture to return to the iconic brand it was for decades.

lists.theepochtimes.com...

posted on Oct, 24 2024 @ 04:25 PM
link   
They were so to DEI for 😀

posted on Oct, 24 2024 @ 04:39 PM
link   

When asked by CNBC about the Starliner problem, Ortberg said, "My gut reaction is that we've got to improve our systems engineering and our design capabilities so that never happens again."

"We need to know what's going on, not only with our products, but with our people," Ortberg said in prepared remarks Wednesday before the earnings call. "And most importantly, we need to prevent the festering of issues and work better together to identify, fix, and understand root cause."

link

This is going to be a difficult transition for Boeing and a lot of the other big systems integrators in the country. The root cause of all of their problems is "Management"; and when "Management" is the problem it's hard for the managers to fix it.

"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

Decades of neglecting their now very aged (and now retiring) work force has put them in a position were they no longer have the expertise to be the giants they once were.

Decades of neglecting their work tools and processes. Put them in a position were they can not take advantage of new technological advancements.

For decades they have been squeezing out every dollar of profit and put next to nothing back into their businesses.

You can't just turn that around over night.

What you get when faced with these vast systemic problems is a Management class that tries to fix the problem by pushing the staff harder. Because managing people is "easier" in the short term than actually fixing the systemic problems.... but pushing the staff only works for a short time before they revult (overtly as in strikes, or covertly as in quietly quitting).

Through in the workforce disruptor that was Covid-19 and these companies don't stand a chance.

People like CEO Ortberg first need to recognize that they are the problem before they can hope to fix it.

posted on Oct, 24 2024 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I blame Common Core math raising the new breed of Engineers....stick to Standards and Practices dammit.
edit on 10/24/24 by GENERAL EYES because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2024 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

DEI is just a symptom of the larger problem.

The problem is decades of neglect in building and reinvesting in the business and work force.

DEI was just one of many "New Wave" management philosophies that fooled decision makers into thinking they were innovating for the future (on the cheap) when all they were really doing was dithering around the edges.

There is nothing inherently wrong with tech companies deciding to increase the scope of prospective. New ways of thinking does lead to new technology. But it can't be all that you do ... you still need to build and fortify the core of the business.

posted on Oct, 24 2024 @ 05:03 PM
link   
a reply to: GENERAL EYES

There is nothing inherently wrong with Common Core; and the younger work force members aren't any less intelligent or qualified.

The problem is that these large tech companies built up their large work forces through the 80/90s ... then suddenly stopped hiring an adequate number of replacement staff... in other words they neglected to build their bench over the last few decades.

And from the 80/90s trough the early 2000s; everything was fine. Their 40 year old staff became their 60 year old staff. No problems because the work got done.

The problem became evident once that now older staff started to retire (or entered near retirement mode) ... and these companies didn't have enough mid level staff to pick up the slack.

The short term solution has been to over work the mid level staff; have one person try to do the work of five retiring/retired people. It doesn't mater how good/smart that one person is, they can never make up the work of five people.

Truthfully it has been my experience that these mid level staff are quite smart and capable. They did benefit from learning one on five from the older people. But now they are being put in an impossible position of making up for lossing five people.

That's why doors are falling off these air craft. Not because the people doing the work don't know better ... it's because they can not keep up with the unreasonable demand.

posted on Oct, 24 2024 @ 06:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Dandandat3

Inherently, no there's nothing wrong with it, but based on the various examples I've seen from different schools and parents they aren't teaching a UNIVERSAL method, there are so many different cultural examples of how to do various math tricks that kids who would excel at one method fall short in another, and they overlap depending on the District.

I'm speaking from a point of concern as a military kid who attended more schools than I can recall in my formative years and who STILL can do basic fractions, decimals and percentages because we moved during the school year it was being taught in one district only to land in another where they had completely left that fundamental in the dust and were focused on Algebra.

Granted, it might be because I'm a girl and math isn't my strong suit, but I still lamet the fact that I struggle with even basic elementary math these days in my 50's so it might be a combination of factors aside from my personal failings.

I graduated top 15% of my class in 1992 as an AP Honors Student, but I still get sidelined by 15% off at the sales.

No comprende, mi Amigo.

No compredende.

top topics

join