It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Of all things, grunge music. Short, simple, relevant, not NSFW.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2024 @ 07:10 PM
link   

This is just a supposition because of some apparent discrepancies between the material and the performers. I have no evidence of any kind.

This is about some of the big-name Grunge bands from when Grunge music went mainstream. In my opinion, I suppose they may have found a way to obtain the thoughts and reflections of people whom the ghetto was trying to trap into the working life, but they did not want to go. I had heard some felt the actual musicians themselves were not tortured geniuses who yearned for a cerebral life but may have been ghetto people who wanted to sound like they were because they could get higher end clients. They may have hoped to learn enough from contact with higher end clients in order to sustainably pull off a charade of being a tortured genius and thus continue a drugging, partying lifestyle which for them was much better than a menial job or competing with the rest of the ghetto for work on ghetto terms. The fans allegedly saw through it but appreciated the look into the world of rock & roll holdouts.

Let's suppose, hypothetically speaking, that there was a hypothetical, "Reticent Communist" church which was strapped for cash and used volunteers with lower professional standards to counsel students....what if some of the students' thoughts were unknowingly sold to ghetto musicians who otherwise would have had a less interesting set of material to play? I almost can picture some of them rehearsing some song expressing disgust at the working life, then when they stop, they say "yuk! blech!" like someone had just forced them to eat vegetables or say "shredder can beat the turtles!" and they have to cleanse the awful taste from their mouth.

I don't know the "early," "authentic," "original," "non-commercialized" grunge, only the stuff that found its way onto radio. If my guess is correct, whoever did this, did it for money.

edit on 19-10-2024 by Solvedit because: clarity

edit on 19-10-2024 by Solvedit because: clarity

edit on 19-10-2024 by Solvedit because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-10-2024 by Solvedit because: Added picture

posted on Oct, 19 2024 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Nothing NSFW.

www.youtube.com...

This song's a little over the top with the anger but still probably comes from the same background:
www.youtube.com...
But those guys are still doing it, not getting regular jobs, so how could they be this disgusted?
And it does have a line suggesting it is cribbed from someone experiencing no spiritual support amid an Islamizing, Communizing church: (I do not have any evidence it is stolen just to be clear)

"Where do they come from, they storm my room,

And you dare say, it belongs to you"
edit on 19-10-2024 by Solvedit because: added a sentence.

edit on 19-10-2024 by Solvedit because: added a sentence.

posted on Oct, 19 2024 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Grunge = the capitalist ethos of popular music.

Taking a pixies-esque punk band they couldn't classify and marketing it because it was so crappy and simple and raw it sold. Even as the band tried to be less and less marketable..

The bipolar tortured genius tried to stop it from being used that way... but everyone knows how that turned out.

edit on 19-10-2024 by Degradation33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2024 @ 08:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Degradation33

"Hey man, nice shot" isn't about Kurt Cobain. It is an urban legend

The song was originally written in 1991 about the public suicide of Pennsylvania state treasurer R. Budd Dwyer on January 22, 1987, in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania

Wiki: Hey Man, Nice Shot
edit on 19 10 24 by Compendium because: Changed "officially" to "originally"

posted on Oct, 19 2024 @ 08:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Degradation33

The bipolar tortured genius tried to stop it from being used that way... but everyone knows how that turned out.

Yeah, Dave Grohl killed him to fullfill certain obligations in his deal with the devil.

posted on Oct, 19 2024 @ 08:16 PM
link   
How about the theme of the thread, though?

Does anyone remember any news or reviews or just rumors that some of those acts weren't using their own material?

I mean, how about Perry Farrel for example? Do you see someone who dresses as outrageously as he did (think womens' clothes) being so titillated by the danger of a little heroin that he could write Tahitian Moon? Several years after his career started? They use the drugs to medicate away the disgust of working.
www.youtube.com...
Five or so years earlier, he had recorded this: www.youtube.com... and he's a little scared of the drugs?

You would think an authentic song about drugs from a long time rocker would sound more like "Land Down Under" i.e. I'm just "buying bread from a man in Brussels."
www.youtube.com...

edit on Sat Oct 19 2024 by DontTreadOnMe because: attempt to fix BB code

posted on Oct, 19 2024 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Hmmm.

The lyrics “sell your soul to sign an autograph” come to mind for some reason.

Interesting take.

Just musicians? Just grunge? What about art, or film?

ETA: not sure about the religious or church angle. Other than the almighty greenback…

edit on 19-10-2024 by SteamyAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2024 @ 09:02 PM
link   
It's not strictly grunge but don't get me started on those Misifits.

The music clearly is from two decades before their time and shows a knowledge of the cheap horror movies of the 1930s-1960s. Almost as if someone else wrote it.
www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...

Did punk bands normally sit down and craft exquisite rockabilly melodies, even if somewhat crudely executed? No, they tried to sound crappy.

Did any other band try so hard to make sure you knew they weren't too holy to offend?

I've heard rumors the personnel of some organization or other (I can't remember which one) shake you down if they catch you rocking out to "Bullet" or "She" because the Kennedys and the Hearsts deserve not to be sung about. Possible conspiracy?

posted on Oct, 19 2024 @ 09:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Solvedit

To the theme at hand...

The grunge scene is an exact copy of the Laurel Canyon scene of the 60s with all the MK-Ultra crap going on.

The counter culture is always controlled by the government or their agents.

For example, Jim Morisson's father was high in the navy. Just like Dave Grohl. (Trying to be subtle here)

They both worked with the company. In Morrison's day, they passed out '___'. Grunge saw the resurgence of hallucigens.

Both scenes were controlled.

Speaking of Morrison's father, he participated in Highjump with Byrd.

posted on Oct, 19 2024 @ 09:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: theatreboy
The counter culture is always controlled by the government or their agents.

Whatever the case may be with that, I was referring to the bigger hits when the music went mainstream. I don't know anything about the early scene.

posted on Oct, 19 2024 @ 09:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Degradation33

I have a feeling when he heard he could be with a few strangers, then get some money and get drugs and no one would mind, he played air guitar and shouted "Excellent!" But I wouldn't personally know.

posted on Oct, 19 2024 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Misfits are an exception because it was never about anything but making money from what Danzig knew (old horror movies). There was always the not so subtle attempt to stay appealing to the underground fans while getting new mainstream fans. Kind of a Metallica in a less blatant way.

I mean Christ, I've seen almost anything and everything you could possibly ever want from infants clothing through housewares branded with the Crimson Ghost so Danzig could make a few extra dollars (think Gene Simmons with less garbage music). Jerry is far from innocent on that front as well.

Either way, I could go on with things about all of the Misfits controversies but one thing I can say for them is they definitely wrote their own music and the only nefarious intent was to make money. Except, of course, the cover album Project 1950 which in itself shows that they (Jerry at that point but most members through the years) were indeed infatuated with the horror movie/music/idealized version of the culture of the 40s, 50s, and 60s. Same with Social Distortion; they started as a punk band, saw some mainstream success, grew up, and now lean heavily toward a rockabilly/cowpunk direction and lyrically essentially just reminisce. No making it big on someone else's talent then staying with the same themes 30+ years later.

There are other music scenes that I could go into as I was a part of them in large ways that were "worked on" by various actors trying to infiltrate to who knows what end. I can tell you from personal experience that they don't write for themselves but there's also no conspiracy there not to mention the complete impossibility to make it to a mainstream audience.

posted on Oct, 19 2024 @ 10:30 PM
link   

*snip*

Never mind.
I accidently did a bunch of name dropping.

edit on 19-10-2024 by FullHeathen because: (no reason given)

top topics

join