It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Abortion Funds Are In ‘A State Of Emergency’

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2024 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I heard an NPR news story today on the subject of donations to abortion funds having severely dwindled and that those funds are finding it exceedingly difficult to continue their work helping women who are seeking an abortion.

Here is an article from the Huffington Post from last Jun on the subject.

Abortion Funds Are In ‘A State Of Emergency’ 2 Years After Dobbs

After the overturn of Roe v. Wade, donations flowed to abortion funds, but over time the money has dried up.

A critical lifeline for abortion access is fraying ― and few people appear to be paying attention.

Abortion funds help pay for costs associated with abortion, including money for the procedure or abortion pills. Many funds also help with practical expenses such as gas, flights, accommodation and often child care.

Abortion funds initially saw a historic increase in donations after the fall of Roe v. Wade in June 2022. But since then, donations have dwindled, forcing funds to face the grim reality that they may have to cut staff or close their doors entirely.

Donations spurred from rage over Dobbs are drying up even as the need for more support increases, with more states enacting abortion bans.

Huffpost

As far as "vote with your wallet" goes does this trend of severely dwelling donations to abortion funds indicate that the subject of abortion is not a primary focus for most?

It's easy to argue the subject on the internet and everyone seems to have an opinion. But if those opinions donl not translate in to real world action/sacrifice, does it really matter?

In this election cycle, many are putting a lot of stock in abortion being a key issue. But if people aren't willing to support the cause with their donations; will it really motivate them to vote?

If you feel strongly about Abortion access do you regularly donate to these funds? And if not why not?

edit on 16-10-2024 by Dandandat3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2024 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Not sure about me personally. As a man I don’t feel I have a say in the issue from a legislative pov, nor should I.

However to your OP I imagine people are too busy trying to feed their own offspring instead of donating to help others not have any. Just a guess.

Maybe buy condoms? Or just get a cat already.

posted on Oct, 16 2024 @ 08:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Dandandat3

I think funding is down for many organizations.

Probably most.

+1 more 
posted on Oct, 16 2024 @ 08:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

Probably most.

Thanks to the Biden/Harris administration's dumpster fire policies, nobody has any extra money to just piss away.

posted on Oct, 16 2024 @ 08:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: RazorV66

Probably most.

Thanks to the Biden/Harris administration's dumpster fire policies, nobody has any extra money to just piss away.

Way to jump right in and politicize it.

posted on Oct, 16 2024 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Probably most.

Way to jump right in and politicize it.

The truth hurts in many ways.

posted on Oct, 16 2024 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Probably most.

Thanks to the two parties who have collectively increased debt and inflation, the average American continues to see their spending power decrease faster than pay increases.

posted on Oct, 16 2024 @ 09:14 PM
link   
So less unborn American children, mainly African and Hispanic, womt die?

What a terrible inconvenience

posted on Oct, 16 2024 @ 09:16 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

In another light it sounds like you’ve made the case for it becoming increasingly harder to have a kid let alone the difficulties raising one.

Does that sound right?

posted on Oct, 16 2024 @ 09:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

That maybe true; but the article in the OP (as well as the NPR news spot I listened to today) did not make such an argument. The cause attributed to the decrease in donations given in the article is "complacency".

“I’m afraid that there is this level of complacency that has happened post-Dobbs,” Njoku [executive director of the National Network of Abortion Funds] said. “This is not the same movement that it was five years ago, let alone 50 years ago, and yet we’re still operating and funding as if it were the same issue as it was before.”

posted on Oct, 16 2024 @ 10:08 PM
link   
They finally figured out that the democrats aren’t going to codify Roe and the republicans certainly won’t.
It’s firmly in the states where it should have been since day one.
The democrats tried to make abortion an issue in this election but they screwed up the economy, the border, and foreign policy so bad that abortion probably doesn’t crack the top ten.
All the false rhetoric about anti abortion laws killing women doesn’t help their cause either.

posted on Oct, 16 2024 @ 10:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dandandat3

That maybe true; but the article in the OP (as well as the NPR news spot I listened to today) did not make such an argument. The cause attributed to the decrease in donations given in the article is "complacency".

“I’m afraid that there is this level of complacency that has happened post-Dobbs,” Njoku [executive director of the National Network of Abortion Funds] said. “This is not the same movement that it was five years ago, let alone 50 years ago, and yet we’re still operating and funding as if it were the same issue as it was before.”

I don’t think complacency is exclusive.

IMO — the country is unsettled right now — people are cautious.

Taking care of their own.

posted on Oct, 16 2024 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Why should abortions get "funded" by donations?

How many other surgical procedures are funded by donations?

AFAIK, Health Insurance or Payment(s) by the recipient of the procedure are the funding mechanisms.

posted on Oct, 16 2024 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Maybe. But.

In another light, people are just broke.

posted on Oct, 16 2024 @ 10:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: SteamyAmerican

Maybe. But.

In another light, people are just broke.

Yeah — I was at Walmart the other day making a key in the robotic machine.

Remember when locksmith was a job?

Can’t just roll through life anymore.

posted on Oct, 16 2024 @ 10:44 PM
link   

If everyone took care of their own, we wouldn't use abortion as birth control.

Much less a political agenda.

But here we are...

posted on Oct, 16 2024 @ 10:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

If everyone took care of their own, we wouldn't use abortion as birth control.

Much less a political agenda.

But here we are...

You don’t want one — don’t have one.

How is any other women’s reproductive choice any of your business.

Personally paid for or subsidized.

In comparison — what is the cost (tax payers) to raise an unwanted child.

edit on pm1010America/ChicagoAmerica/Chicago by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2024 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Id wager the funds didnt really spike instead the huge number of people that rushed out to have an abortion to show their "autonomy" (a grand sign of a sick culture) overwhelmed the normal cash flow.

posted on Oct, 16 2024 @ 11:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
Id wager the funds didnt really spike instead the huge number of people that rushed out to have an abortion to show their "autonomy" (a grand sign of a sick culture) overwhelmed the normal cash flow.

There is now the morning after pill.

And over the counter pregnancy tests.

And free birth control & condemns.

Self check out.

posted on Oct, 16 2024 @ 11:18 PM
link   

New findings from the Monthly Abortion Provision Study show that an estimated 1,037,000 abortions occurred in the formal health care system in 2023, the first full calendar year after the US Supreme Court’s decision in Dobbs v. Jackson Women's Health Organization overturned Roe v. Wade. This represents a rate of 15.9 abortions per 1,000 women of reproductive age,* and is a 11% increase since 2020, the last year for which comprehensive estimates are available. It is also the highest number and rate measured in the United States in over a decade.

www.guttmacher.org...

15.9 per 1,000 women. That's a pretty high number! Maybe spend some of those never-ending funds on educating women about pregnancy prevention? Or free birth control for all?

We keep hearing about dclining birth rates which will destablize our entire financial system in the near future, yet spend vast sums to promote ending pergnancies. What a crazy world we live in now.

new topics

top topics

join