It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can you help me with a phone purchase? Refurbished?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2024 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Ok, Just so you know, I am currently using a Galaxy A01 (android).

Well thanks to Verizon shutting down their texting service, I am supposed to download another service. But neither hubby or I can, because we have no room on our phones.
I have no games. Very few pictures.

Anyhoo. I am not going to spend a stupid amount of money on a new phone. So I went looking for them on Ebay. So.
I know nothing about refurbished phones. What to look for, what to look out for.
I found this one
Is it a good deal? What does "unlocked" mean? Why does it give me options for the carrier. Do I have to get one that way?

Yes, I used to be more up to date on phones. But I honestly stopped caring, hence the old phone I have.
I probably could have found this info all over the net, but I trust you guys, most of you seem pretty tech savey!

posted on Oct, 10 2024 @ 08:52 AM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

Is it a good deal? What does "unlocked" mean? Why does it give me options for the carrier. Do I have to get one that way?

Price looks reasonable, ebay does good on secondhand and older phones. Unlocked means that the phone will work with any mobile phone service carrier, just put in the sim card and off you go. Some phones are locked to a specific carrier, it is a marketing thing that costs about $100- to unlock the phone and use it with anyone. Better getting an unlocked phone if you can.

Verizon is just one of many carries. Looks like a dumb corporate move to get rid of their texting service. You will need to get a sim card from another carrier that does texting to keep this service. There are a few steps involved in getting a new sim card activated, once done away you go.

posted on Oct, 10 2024 @ 08:53 AM
link   

This is your best bet! It will give you no texting problems (you can’t text on this)

Its frequency is unlocked so you can use it with any service! I find Verizon to be the best!

Really I don’t know android phones I have a iPhone! I wish I knew more!

edit on 10-10-2024 by JJproductions because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2024 @ 08:57 AM
link   

An unlocked phone can be used on most carriers and is not locked down to one.
I have a 3 yr old moto G stylus that was something like $150 brand new. It works fine for my needs. The high end phones are fine for high end work like games but for texting and Facebook a cheaper phone is sufficient.

I usually avoid refurbished things. Not for any reason other than not wanting to buy someone else's problems..lol

posted on Oct, 10 2024 @ 09:05 AM
link   
a reply to: kwaka

So, if I stay with verizon, and just download the text app (they suggest the google messenger) I should be able to just switch SIMS and be good?
Or should I have the verizon store in town help me out?

I swear I want to just go back to a house phone!

But I have Grandchildren. They like to text and use that facebook messenger. (I put that on my work phone. LOL)

posted on Oct, 10 2024 @ 09:07 AM
link   
a reply to: JJproductions

Had an Iphone once.
Hated it.

But many I remember that phone in your picture. Too rich for my blood back in the day.

posted on Oct, 10 2024 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Yeah, I would stick with it, except for the texting thing. Well, and I would like to take more pictures. 2 currently most important young people in my life, choose to communicate with Nana that way, so I need it.
I understand though. Its just that word "refurbished" Like you said "we tried to fix the problem, fingers crossed!" LOL

I may stick with verizon, as the only other network that works at my house, (Tmobile) is the same price.

Bad part of living in the boonies.

Thank you all for your help though! Unlocked is the smart way. You guys rock.

posted on Oct, 10 2024 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Buy any generic android with all the same features as the big guys.

If you got cellular, grandkids....go with Consumer Cellular + phone.

I've never spent over $50-100 for a fully functional smart phone.

Good luck, God Bless

posted on Oct, 10 2024 @ 09:23 AM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

I would love to use consumers cellular, but it does not get service in our area. My hubby's boss had it ( his wife switched them) and he could not get calls at his house!
Which is a mile from mine!
edit on 10-10-2024 by chiefsmom because: addition

posted on Oct, 10 2024 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Or this one lol! No problems what so ever!

posted on Oct, 10 2024 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Did you see if there was a trade in program?

I was at costco last year and AT&T made me an offer. They took in my iphone 12 pro max and I got a brand new iphone 15 pro max. Your phone is from 2019 so it should be new enough to trade in and get something comparable.

posted on Oct, 10 2024 @ 09:35 AM
link   
a reply to: JJproductions

Been almost 40 years, but I can still tell you our old home phone number!

posted on Oct, 10 2024 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Some suppliers of refurbed' phones do supply a years guarantee for free, so have a look around.

I'm in the Uk so I'm not sure about how good some of the suppliers are in the US, but I found some basic suppliers for you to look at.
Do a internet search for 'refurbished phones'

www.walmart.com...

www.bestbuy.com...

www.backmarket.com... ie5

I've had 2 phones from Backmarket that were a year old, both were unlocked and they looked brand new when I got them. Never had an issue with either phone.
edit on k000000Thu, 10 Oct 2024 09:39:53 -05002024kam9America/Chicago by Kurokage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2024 @ 09:37 AM
link   
a reply to: grey580

Didn't think about that. I remember when they used to give you a new free one, every 2 years.

I will run down the verizon store at lunch and see what kind of offers they have going on.

posted on Oct, 10 2024 @ 09:41 AM
link   

They also do pre-owend phones but I can't check it out here in the UK.

At Verizon, we have a variety of great deals on smartphones, including certified pre-owned phones, free phones, and beyond.

posted on Oct, 10 2024 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Haha! I still know my beeper number lol!

posted on Oct, 10 2024 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Have you looked at Total Wireless? They are prepaid wireless brand owned by Verizon and have Free phones and some cheap ones LINK

Example of some phones under $100
moto g stylus 5G - 2024
Samsung Galaxy A15 5G
Samsung Galaxy A14 5G

Best of luck and hope that helps

top topics

join