It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pete Rose, MLB all-time hits leader, infamous Charlie Hustle dead

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2024 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Used to despise him even before he got pissy about being struck out during the Braves 13-0 1982 season-opening win streak. He destroyed Ray Fosse's career barrelling over the catcher in the All-Star game. But damn he could hit, I couldn't stand him from an early age LOL and it wasn't taught it was from watching how is was playing a game I loved playing and watching, nothing is like baseball.

Then a betting scandal as a manager of the Reds and being banned from the Hall of Fame that he fought the whole rest of his life

www.cincinnati.com...

Pete Rose, the Cincinnati native who became baseball’s all-time hits leader as well as one of the most divisive figures in the sport’s history, died Monday, according to a TMZ report, which was confirmed by his agent, Ryan Fiterman. He was 83.

After reaching the pinnacle of the sport he loved, Rose was banned from baseball in 1989 for gambling while manager of his hometown Reds.

That came just four years after Rose had broken Ty Cobb’s hit record, a mark that still stands.

He is MLB's all-time hits leader with 4,256.

The lifetime ban from the game kept the Sedamsville native out of the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, New York, even though he still holds numerous career and single-season records.

In addition to the hit title, Rose also played in more games, had more at-bats, had gotten on base more and had singled more than anyone in baseball history. He also made the most outs in MLB history.

edit on p000000309pm096 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2024 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

RIP Charlie Hustle

He was one of my baseball idols in the 70s growing up.

My coach had a meltdown the first time I tried a head first slide at home plate in a Little League game but I was safe, knocked the ball away from the catcher.
My teammates were screaming 🤣

posted on Sep, 30 2024 @ 07:16 PM
link   

A real bummer he never made the fall of fame.
MLB banned him for life but his numbers are still on the record books..

The Reds stadium is actually located on Pete Rose way..🤷‍♂️
They even have Pete Rose night but can’t let him in the clubhouse..lol

As for ray fosse, he played for years after that all star game so I’m not sure I’d say he destroyed the guy’s career.
If you want to blame anybody for that night it should be MLB. The players received a bonus for making the all star game and the winners got a bigger bonus. Players were not making millions like today.

posted on Sep, 30 2024 @ 07:29 PM
link   

edit on 30-9-2024 by CarlLaFong because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2024 @ 08:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

A real bummer he never made the fall of fame.
MLB banned him for life but his numbers are still on the record books..

The Reds stadium is actually located on Pete Rose way..🤷‍♂️
They even have Pete Rose night but can’t let him in the clubhouse..lol

As for ray fosse, he played for years after that all star game so I’m not sure I’d say he destroyed the guy’s career.
If you want to blame anybody for that night it should be MLB. The players received a bonus for making the all star game and the winners got a bigger bonus. Players were not making millions like today.

I know the story quite well, Pete Rose was a major league azzhole much like a modern day Ty Cobb. The hit wiped out Fosse's rookie season, the injury healed wrong and bothered him the rest of his career.

www.cbssports.com...

OAKLAND -- Four decades later, Ray Fosse is standing in a dark tunnel underneath the Coliseum. He still cannot lift his left arm all the way up over his head.

It is hot, it is summertime and the All-Star Game is right around the corner. And he knows what this means.

More questions. More trips to 1970, and the 12th inning in Cincinnati's Riverfront Stadium.

At 23 that summer, Fosse was on the launching pad of what appeared to be a brilliant career. He had 16 homers and 45 RBI in 78 games at the break.

Following the break, with pain wracking his shoulder, he had two homers and 15 RBI in 42 games.

X-rays immediately after Rose bowled him over to score the winning run for the NL that evening were negative. There was no such thing as an MRI then. So Fosse simply rested and then played when the agony subsided to a simple throb in the shoulder.

It wasn't re-X-rayed until 1971, when it was still killing him, and he was shown to have a fracture and a separated shoulder. But it had healed in place.

In the wrong place.

"Once it healed, and healed improperly, you're not going to do much about it," Fosse says.

Rose never really reached out to Fosse afterward. The two have spoken, the former catcher says, only twice since.

It was early in the 1971 season when the Reds and Indians played an exhibition game that their paths first crossed after the play. With initial X-rays failing to show that his shoulder was fractured and separated, Fosse actually caught for the Indians on the Thursday the second half started in 1970, just two days after Rose smashed him. Rose had made the point that he had to miss three games with a bruised thigh.

Anyway, Rose was running while Fosse was in the outfield during batting practice before the Reds-Indians exhibition in early '71 when Rose called out to him.

"He said, 'Hey, you're off to a slow start,'" Fosse said. "Those were the only words I heard from him from the All-Star Game until I retired 10 years later. That was it. We never had interleague play. 'Hey, you're off to a slow start.'

"Sure I was. Because I had a fractured and separated shoulder, and the pain was there, and is still there 43 years later."

top topics

join