It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Liberal Look on Changing US Gun Issues

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2024 @ 09:16 AM
link   
I saw this article this morning and had to give it a read, if anything just out of pure curiosity from the title.

Liberal Gun Owners on US Gun Issues

After reading, one of my only critiques, was their idea for punishment on gun storage negligence. Don't get me wrong, I am all for the safe storage and handling of firearms. But, I should not be told how to handle these things in my own home, and have the lingering fear of someone barging into my house and arresting me for my own "safe" practices. If your idea of having your personal firearm safely stored is in the holster with a round in the chamber in your nightstand, and it works without issue, then good for you. If you want to keep all of your firearms locked in a safe, separate from all of your ammo, then go for it. I have my happy medium and that is where I like to stay.

I am pleased, however, to see a liberals take on how the Democrats are trying to handle the "gun issues" across the country. They actually look at the bigger picture instead of just focusing on the idea that someone shot up a school with a gun so they all have to be taken and banned.

"The reality is, is that laws simply do not function the way that they are being advertised to function by the Democratic Party," "He also believes there are definitely some people who should not have guns, but says more people should not operate their cell phones in cars, because that kills more people than gun violence."

If this were said, and has been said, by the other side, the whining and complaining would be endless. They understand the concept that people have always been the issue, never the firearm. People have always been around, but guns have not, and what has happened since the dawn of time? Death.

Why is it so hard for most people on the left to have a meaningful conversation such as this without hurling insults and making this about something it's not? Too many times, especially on here, those that are apposed to US citizens owning firearms (oddly enough usually from those that don't even live here) tout that we own them because we are scared or afraid of something so we have them has a "nightlight".

This article/group show me that the left is capable of having this conversation in a decent manor, can we accomplish that here?

posted on Sep, 26 2024 @ 09:33 AM
link   
a reply to: PorkChop96

They’ll never have a rational discussion about guns.
They know little to nothing about them.
They’ll never admit they want to take and ban them all.
They let their feelers get in the way of their brains.
They want to get rid of the 2nd.
They don’t ever look at the data.
Their arguments are illogical and irrational.
I will not give them more of my cake, and I want what they’ve taken back.

posted on Sep, 26 2024 @ 09:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Vermilion

I do understand where you are coming from, but did you even read the article?

If this guy was not part of a group that was "Liberal Gun Owners", would you even know that he was a liberal, simply based on his talking points from the interview?

posted on Sep, 26 2024 @ 09:45 AM
link   

i'm all for punishment for parents / people that don't even try to store their weapons safely.
but i'm gonna tell, if a kids wants to do something bad enough, just like thugs it doesn't matter what you do.
their gonna find a way somehow, and parents shouldn't be held responsible for that even if they knew their kid wasn't right in the head. besides some folks can't afford or even qualify for help with their kids. and don't give that bullsh@@ there is help for all. i've seen people try and be turned away for many different reasons.

it all boils down to dollars in the end.

edit on 26-9-2024 by BernnieJGato because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2024 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: BernnieJGato

If your kid picks up your firearm that you left on the kitchen table and shoots themselves or another family member/person in general, you should be held liable for that injury/death. 10000%

If you are one that owns firearms, you are the one that is in charge of making sure that you teach your children from a young age that they do not touch that gun under any circumstance. Until they are old enough to learn the proper handling and use of that firearm.

And if you are incapable of teaching that lesson to your child, you should probably think twice about owning a firearm of any sort.

posted on Sep, 26 2024 @ 09:57 AM
link   
This is just furthering the point that the current admin has no idea how to combat these issues.

"Hey, let's make a new EO that makes it illegal to do/own already illegal things"

WTF
Who is letting this guy write anything anymore?

posted on Sep, 26 2024 @ 10:04 AM
link   

no doubt and i agree with that whole heartedly.

but as i said with some kids, it doesn't matter what you teach them, or do to prevent them from getting a hold of one. if they set their mind to it their gonna try and try again, and lots of times the outcome is not good.

that's not the parents fault,in those instance. but the culture today it seems wants to hold them responsible and will go after them, and will try to find some reason to.

if like you said, if someone stored their weapon in the night stand with one in the chamber and didn't know their kid was having problems or was mad at bullies, girl friend, or the world in general, even though they taught their kid everything they knew or thought was a safe practices, their gonna come after them for it.

posted on Sep, 26 2024 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Yeah I don’t trust him or his types.
He’s a staunch democrat yet is all for the 2nd?
Sure buddy.
He’s either lying or mentally conflicted.

I agree that parents should be responsible for their kids actions, of course.
You can’t legislate that through locking up guns or whatever.
Parents should be similarly responsible like if their kid takes their car for a joyride…

8-year-old girl captured on dashcam taking a 25-minute joyride to Target
www.today.com...

Parents know their kids.
If you have to put your weapon or car keys away then make it happen.
At the end of the day, kids are going to be kids.
Even the best ones act like kids sometimes.
The authorities shouldn’t be involved at all.

posted on Sep, 26 2024 @ 10:10 AM
link   

We've known each other for a while now. I think it's safe to say that you know I'm a freedom kinda guy. Like you, my only issue with the storage position. My house, my rules. As long as I'm not committing crimes against humanity, leave me alone.

I also believe that we the people should be able own and operate any weapon that the government has.

posted on Sep, 26 2024 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: BernnieJGato

That is where it is up to the parent/ gun owner to make that decision for themselves. Do you trust your kid to understand what you are teaching them and leave the gun where it's easy for all to access, ort do you lock it up anyways.

It will almost always be your fault in any instance where someone that shouldn't have it gets a hold of your firearm. Unless you have done everything in your power to prevent someone from getting to it and they still do, you take some fault for whatever happens involving that firearm.

Where there is a will, there is a way.

posted on Sep, 26 2024 @ 10:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: PorkChop96
This is just furthering the point that the current admin has no idea how to combat these issues.

"Hey, let's make a new EO that makes it illegal to do/own already illegal things"

WTF
Who is letting this guy write anything anymore?

From your link…

“The White House says firearm technology is rapidly evolving and Biden’s actions are aimed at reducing two key emerging threats: machine gun conversion devices and 3D printed firearms.”

Emerging threats of machine guns and 3d printing? LoL
These people are the stupidest on the planet.
They want everyone to believe that machine guns and homemade parts are killing folks by the handful.
They’ll take anything they think they can get away with.
There is absolutely no talking to these crazy people.
In all these gun debates they never even bring up Chicago or other problem cities.
It’s their biggest tell.

posted on Sep, 26 2024 @ 10:14 AM
link   

That is up to you to decide if you trust what he says or not. There are those that say they are Republicans but want to take everyone's guns away, just the same as the left.

He has done nothing, to my knowledge, that goes against what he has said here. I have no reason not to trust what he says as truth.

posted on Sep, 26 2024 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Moon68

Absolutely, do as you will. I feel safer knowing that those I am in the company of are of the same mind as I.

I also know that you will not let anyone, that has no business touching a firearm you own, get close to getting their hands on it.

When are we buying that Abrams again?

posted on Sep, 26 2024 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Absolutely, do as you will. I feel safer knowing that those I am in the company of are of the same mind as I.

I also know that you will not let anyone, that has no business touching a firearm you own, get close to getting their hands on it.

When are we buying that Abrams again?

Tomorrow if they'll take a check

posted on Sep, 26 2024 @ 10:21 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 26 2024 @ 10:29 AM
link   

That is up to you to decide if you trust what he says or not. There are those that say they are Republicans but want to take everyone's guns away, just the same as the left.

He has done nothing, to my knowledge, that goes against what he has said here. I have no reason not to trust what he says as truth.

I agree, I don’t trust the so called republicans who don’t care for the 2nd either.
I hated when Trump went crazy about those stupid bump stocks.
I just can’t believe somebody who consistently votes for the democrats who despise the 2nd.
Thais their party platform.
It just doesn’t make any sense at all.
He’s either lying to himself and everybody else or his brain is broken.
Routh was a diehard lefty who “liked” guns.
See how that turned out?

posted on Sep, 26 2024 @ 10:54 AM
link   
The whole issue gets played into for votes. Oh, let's write a new law! What good are laws if they are not enforced? Just making a new law does equal doing anything! And that in a nutshell is what is wrong with the gun control position. They want to be able to remove gun ownership via the lack of results from previous gun laws. "Look at all these laws we have on the books but we still have a gun problem". Not like many people would acknowledge the lack of enforcement as being the issue. We can't even get them to enforce border laws unless it benefits them politically. Even their own DA's won't prosecute solid gun crimes. There is always some excuse as to why, IE it's racist!

posted on Sep, 26 2024 @ 10:59 AM
link   

All you need to do to see the lunacy of liberal gun policies is to take a look back in the history books, back to a time as recent as the 1970's and 1980's. Per captia, there were as many, if not more, gun owners, BUT there weren't anywhere near the shootings, especially school and other mass shootings, as there are today.

Ask yourself...What changed?

Per capita gun ownership didn't change...so what did?

And, why then, is that change (i.e. people) the reason to eliminate the gun?

posted on Sep, 26 2024 @ 11:06 AM
link   
until the idiots realize the problem isn't guns or gun laws, but mental health, we will continue on the hamster wheel.
Once the epiphany happens, perhaps then we can start taking mental health seriously and try to fix the issues that haunt us. Making laws to stop law breakers is stupid on it's face. Those who break the laws, don't care what the laws are, if they did, they wouldn't break them. DERP.

posted on Sep, 26 2024 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: hangedman13

That is truly the only "tactic" the left has in their arsenal is "fear".

It never ends up working in their favor and usually blows up in their face.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join