It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California Spent $24 Billion On Homelessness Since 2019 - Guess What Happened

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2024 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Since 2019, The State of California has squandered $24 Billion on fighting homelessness.

At the time, there may have been around 150,000 homeless people in CA.

After the money was spent, they now have around 180,000 homeless people in CA.

Great.

Apparently crony NGOs got all of it, and commenced to donate big to Democrat campaigns.

CA Taxpayers bilked again and slapped silly. šŸ¤£šŸ¤£ How's it feel? Excuses and reasons galore. šŸ—”

Despite California Spending $24 Billion On It Since 2019, Homelessness Increased. What Happened?

Since 2019, California has spent about $24 billion on homelessness, but in this five-year period, homelessness increased by about 30,000, to more than 181,000.

Since 2019, California has spent about $24 billion on homelessness, but in this five-year period, homelessness increased by about 30,000, to more than 181,000. Put differently, California spent the equivalent of about $160,000 per person (based on the 2019 figure) over the last five years. With this level of spending, it was reasonable to expect that homelessness would decline substantially. What went wrong?

There are three major problems with Californiaā€™s homelessness policies that are facilitating this increase. One problem is a significant lack of oversight and information about homelessness spending. The state auditor recently evaluated this spending and submitted a report that highlights the failure of the state to track spending and outcomes:

posted on Sep, 22 2024 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Utter lies I tell you!

There is a lot more than that.

posted on Sep, 22 2024 @ 03:33 PM
link   
How much of those 180,000 were born and raised in California?

I bet quite a few are from different states originally and came to Cali for the warm winters and multiple other reasons.

posted on Sep, 22 2024 @ 03:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: JadedGhost

I bet quite a few are from different states originally and came to Cali for the warm winters and multiple other reasons.

Maybe some did, but research has shown that the large majority of homeless stay near the location they were at when they first became homeless. Mainly because they donā€™t have the resources to go anywhere else.

posted on Sep, 22 2024 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Boomer1947

From personal experience of actually being homeless in Australia, I always used to drive up North in the winter than back home down south during the summer months.

Just thinking, if I lived in some random state in the US that got cold during winter, then I would have definitely headed straight to California. Doubt Im the only one who has the same mind set.

edit on 22-9-2024 by JadedGhost because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2024 @ 03:56 PM
link   

WTF does that have to do with the money being squandered and looted? lol lol lol šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

posted on Sep, 22 2024 @ 04:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

WTF does that have to do with the money being squandered and looted? lol lol lol šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

I guess the point is that a lot of those 180,000 people have most likely originated from red statesā€¦ California is literally carrying the failed policies of the right.

posted on Sep, 22 2024 @ 04:39 PM
link   

After the money was spent, they now have around 180,000 homeless people in CA.

More like ''while'' the money was being spent. Rounding out, that is about 4.5 billion per year. Homelessness continues to increase year by year throughout the nation. When people become homeless, those that can migrate to those places that attempt to provide better services for that condition. An increase of thirty thousand people reporting homelessness in that five year period measures out to an increase of around six percent per year, in line with the over all increase in homelessness across the nation.

posted on Sep, 22 2024 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: JadedGhost

california used to maybe still does ship them to hawaii www.kitv.com... now hawaii is shipping them back

california ships them around ca and then to oregon sfstandard.com...

After California, Oregon is the second-most-popular destination, making up roughly 10% of the 92 clients in the program, according to data collected from the time of its launch to Aug. 2. Nevada and Texas are third, each accounting for 6 clients. Los Angeles, Sacramento and Humboldt were the top three destinations for homeless people traveling within California, according to the Department of Homelessness and Supportive Housing and the Human Services Agency.
so ca is the one sending homless to red and other blue states and that is just for one month(see graph from sept to august)

the red states send migrants not homless out and about and i think they were sent to marthas vinyard and dc

en.wikipedia.org... now las vegas sent homless mental paitents to ca but they are a purple state last time i checked

Between July 2008 and April 2013, the state-run Rawson-Neal Psychiatric Hospital discharged 1,500 mental patients, sending them via taxi to a Greyhound bus station and on to cities across the U.S., sometimes while heavily medicated.[5] An investigation by The Sacramento Bee found that out of 1,000 patients given one-way bus tickets, more than 325 had been sent to California.[5] The investigation also found that dozens of relocated patients appeared to have been involved in crimes after they were discharged, including murder, attempted murder, assault, drug crimes, sex crimes, and theft, in addition to vagrancy-related offenses.[5] It also found that in some cases, the program had helped patients who had been accused of committing crimes in Las Vegas skip town.[5]
it goes on to continue to cover new york who has spent over 500k sending homeless people to (drum roll) to mostly red states and far off nations like purto rico and new zealand

The Guardian has suggested that New York City may have been the first American city with a homeless relocation program, starting in 1987.[1] As of 2017, the New York City Department of Homeless Services was spending $500,000 annually on relocation,[1][3] making it significantly larger than other schemes across the United States.[1] The Guardian reported that New York spent 20% of its budget on airfare to destinations such as Puerto Rico; Atlanta, Georgia; Orlando, Florida; the Dominican Republic; Mexico; and even New Zealand.[1] New York was also unusual for sponsoring moves for entire families.[1] Since 2017, New York City has offered Special One-Time Assistance (SOTA) grants to homeless shelter residents who have been earning a steady income.[13] The program funds one year of rent anywhere in the U.S. and Puerto Rico, and is only provided if the households have demonstrated that they will likely be able to earn enough to pay for rent themselves once the grant has ended.[13][14] New York City reported spending $89 million on SOTA vouchers to help 5,100 households move out of shelters between August 2017 and August 2019, of which nearly two-thirds moved out of the city, including 1,200 households that moved to Newark, New Jersey.[15] In December 2019, the city of Newark filed a federal lawsuit to stop the city of New York from sending people to live in the Newark area, charging that SOTA recipients were often being sent to live in uninhabitable conditions, lacking heat and electricity, and with "excessive vermin".[16]
but they also sent them to a fate worse then death being sent to new jersy.....those monsters

missionlocal.org...

Journey Home, run jointly by the Department of Homelessness and Supportive Housing and the Human Services Agency, is a relatively new program, initiated in September of last year. But San Francisco busing the homeless out of town is not new. Between January 2005 and June 2023, the city transported 11,232 homeless people out of San Francisco via the Homeward Bound program (which may or may not have been named after the Simon and Garfunkel tune).
and that is the worst of the 3 programs ca has to remove homless from there borders

www.politifact.com...

Newsomā€™s statement is contradicted by San Franciscoā€™s own point in time homeless counts. Those reports are conducted every two years. They consistently show a large majority of people surveyed said they lived in San Francisco prior to becoming homeless. A smaller share said they lived in another California county. Often the smallest percentage said they lived out of state before becoming homeless in San Francisco. The 2019 report found 70 percent had lived in the city; 22 percent in another California county and 8 percent out-of-state. Of that 70 percent, more than half, or 55 percent, reported living in San Francisco for a decade or more before losing their home. Just 6 percent said they had lived in the city for less than a year. Going back a dozen years, the cityā€™s 2007 point-in-time count shows 62 percent reported being from San Francisco; about 16 percent were from outside the state and 15 percent were from another county in the state. "The data shows (Newsomā€™s statement) is completely and totally incorrect," said Jennifer Friedenback, executive director of San Francisco-based Coalition of Homelessness. "Newsom knows better, by the way."
but sure those nasty red states (nevada can be kind of shady lol)

www.cnn.com... but dont take my word how about the autor of the report on homlessness in ca......

Kushelā€™s report dispelled some myths. Number one, that many people on the street donā€™t want a home. Not true, says Kushel. ā€œParticipants overwhelmingly wanted permanent housing,ā€ she concludes in the report. Number two, that many people on the streets of California are not from California. Thereā€™s a widely held belief that many people become homeless elsewhere, and come to California for the weather and the more liberal approach to homelessness. And therefore, California does not owe them anything. Not true, says Kushel. ā€œNine out of 10 people lost their stable housing here. These are Californians,ā€ she said. ā€œWe have to create the housing for all Californians.ā€
but sure orange and now i guess red state man bad?

posted on Sep, 22 2024 @ 04:48 PM
link   

I guess the point is that a lot of those 180,000 people have most likely originated from red statesā€¦ California is literally carrying the failed policies of the right.

Well done.
You couldnā€™t be more wrong.
Why are people moving from Cali to red states in record numbers?
Do you know how you win the U-Haul award?
Did you know that so many people moved out of Cali that they lost a congressional seat?
Did you know that Cali is on track to losing 5 more seats by 2030?
thecensusproject.org...

posted on Sep, 22 2024 @ 04:59 PM
link   
No one wants to touch on the real problem. The so-called nonprofits that eat up that government money. Any accountability for them? Nah, they tend to be run by friends and/or former politicians! Party loyalty and a few kickbacks is all it takes to be ignored.

posted on Sep, 22 2024 @ 05:08 PM
link   

No, they are from right at home in CA. šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

You still deflected away from the MONEY you ding bat šŸ˜ƒ

If they were from "Red States", Democrats would have been screaming for 5 years. šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

This is a Left Wing Loot scheme šŸ’„

posted on Sep, 22 2024 @ 05:12 PM
link   

The level of denial is staggering.

Now I understand how people can vote for Kamala.

posted on Sep, 22 2024 @ 05:20 PM
link   

California has had a homeless problem for years. šŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļø Legalizing marijuana helped increase their numbers. In fact, the whole west coast went legal and the populations, including homeless boomed. It overwhelmed them. Add in the loose southern border where illegal immigrants entered to meet up with blue states that already had a heavy Hispanic population and a tsunami of people with unlimited housing options, easy on crime and 'no problemo' on drugs.....it was the perfect storm of failure. To top it off, corrupt government agents/agencies skimming billions off the tax dollars supposedly to use for handling the influx of people and the people already there, you simply can't fight government corruption, at least it isn't very easy. California having only 30k extra homeless after all the years of their own failures, even if they are from other states isn't much considering approximately 80 million plus immigrants over the last 15 years or so in the USA isn't much. And with that amount of money, a home, land and many other amenities could have been afforded their set up and care.

It's offensive for you to even suggest CA is carrying other state's homeless as almost every state has a homeless population that has only grown over the years. Percentage wise, CA's homeless has shrunk if you think about it. It's only an increase of approximately 21,666 per year. Peanuts. Meanwhile many other states have seen their homeless rates increase much, much more.
edit on nd30202400000030bSun, 22 Sep 2024 17:21:11 -05002024000000x by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

top topics

join