It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quick Computer Question (laptop)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2024 @ 08:43 AM
link   
I have a quick computer question. I'm an aviation electronics guy so, pretty knowledgeable about tech stuff, but I don't mess with laptops very often other than just use them. Thus, I have a question.

I have a Lenovo ThinkPad i7 model 20LES1XG00

My (Enter) key has begun to stick in the depressed position (which is an obvious problem). It will eventually pop up and seemingly function normally after I open the laptop, but I have no idea why it is doing this. Sometimes it can take a few minutes for it to pop up. My guess is it's got something sticky under the key cap. If it was just a normal keyboard I'd pop the keycap off and see what's going on underneath it, but this being a laptop I don't think it's that easy.

How difficult is it to open a laptop like this to get at the keyboard?

It's a good laptop and I don't have any issues with it otherwise, so I'd like to keep using it, but I'm worried that one day that (Enter) key won't pop up when I need it and then I'll be screwed. Knowing "Murphy" and his laws, this will happen at the worst possible time.

Advice appreciated.

posted on Sep, 13 2024 @ 08:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

support.lenovo.com...

Hope this helps.

posted on Sep, 13 2024 @ 08:54 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Wow! THAT was WAY helpful!!!

THANK YOU (very much!).

It was a lot easier than I thought. Only down side is, as I suspected, the keyboard itself is not really serviceable. It just has to be replaced (which I can now do). Just have to source one, but that should be easy enough.

Thanks again!

edit on 9/13/2024 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2024 @ 09:06 AM
link   

How difficult is it to open a laptop like this to get at the keyboard?

Given you have the screwdrivers, not very...

Changing keyboard on thinkpads shouldn't be hard either. From what I've seen by lenovo they are well labeled inside.

I'd have a replace keyboard handy just in case, you can still try and clean first and see if it fixes the problem...
Thing with laptop keyboards is they are like one unit so individual key treatment would be harder...

I've always found a helpful YT video to get me trough those unknowns.

posted on Sep, 13 2024 @ 09:09 AM
link   

It sounds like there may be some gunk under the key that's making it stick. If the spring were broken then it wouldn't come back up.

If you want to try to remove just the top of the key and then clean the mechanism below it, here's another video that shows you how.

I still have an IBM Thinkpad from late the 2000s and I used to do this on mine. I still think IBM made some of the best keyboards... not sure about quality control now.

posted on Sep, 13 2024 @ 09:26 AM
link   

It was a lot easier than I thought. Only down side is, as I suspected, the keyboard itself is not really serviceable.

You cannot pry the keys off with a small screwdriver you use for terminal blocks ?

That sucks if that is the case , you have to dismantle and send the keyboard to the manufacurer for 1 stuck key...

edit on 13-9-2024 by Greazel because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2024 @ 09:36 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 13 2024 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Encia22

Back when it was $100 to get a replacement, that was the best option. But if you break the tiny plastic clip that holds the little metal hinge, you lost the keyboard. (I did that a lot)

replacement is pretty easy and a new one just makes the whole computer "feel new". and isn't it all about "feels" these days?

posted on Sep, 13 2024 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Encia22

This was ALSO very helpful!

Thanks for this!

Maybe I'll try that first. Then, if I FUBAR the clips, I've got ND's video above for the whole keyboard.

posted on Sep, 13 2024 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

I went ahead and ordered it. Might as well replace the whole thing. The space bar key is worn through the coating on the key. I always wear out space bar keys under my right thumb.

posted on Sep, 13 2024 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I have had to take apart the keyboard and spray the keyboard key parts a couple of times already on the wife's computer. The daughter did it once with something supposedly that they recommend in places on the net, it didn't solve the problem.

I have some electronics cleaner spray, that works good, using some paper towel to sop up any stuff. For that towel, I try to use the Viva towels for stuff like that, less lint. The electronics cleaner I have is safe for plastic too, it is a name brand cleaner which has some minor lubricating properties. I got it from a music store originally, but have found it in an autopart store, not really cheap, a little can costs eight bucks. But it works great. I have automotive electronics and connector sprays in the garage all the time....but I use that small can for intricate stuff. I also have MAF sensor spray in the garage, but I don't think that would be good either.

After you figure out how to take the case apart, it is a simple project...Big q tips are also beneficial.

I have taken keyboards for computers apart too, now I just get a new keyboard if I can't get it clean from above. Watch when blowing out keyboards with a compressor, one hundred seventy five psi is too high, I have a high port and a regulated port on my eighty gallon. I grabbed the wrong hose one time...keys flew all over the place

posted on Sep, 13 2024 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Yeah, I have long wood handled Q-tips made especially for electronics, along with several different cleaning chemicals for different types of boards and traces. I just never took apart one of these low profile keyboards before.

Regarding regular PC keyboards, I actually like building those from scratch, just as a hobby. My goal is usually to try to get as close to the old IBM Model F and Model M keyboards. I can get pretty darn close too, especially with the new Corsair Red Smooth & Linear mechanical keyswitches. Shoot, come to think of it, I could probably even do a post on that! (How utterly boring would that be, right???) LOL!

posted on Sep, 14 2024 @ 12:37 AM
link   

You could try a spray can of electrical contact cleaner.

Id try a little drop on the plastic to make sure it isn't solvent for any of the plastics.

Then spray on a fair bit to wet the area behind the key and using a drinking straw, shove it behind the key and blow really hard to dislodge any built-up gunk, while brushing behind the key with a soft long bristle paint brush.

posted on Sep, 14 2024 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Most computer parts replacements are easy these days, even in laptops, although some makers appear to be in some kind of race to see who uses more screws. I once had to undo 18 screws to be able to add memory to a laptop.

Although most people today are too lazy for it, if people knew how easy these "repairs" are, many would do them themselves.

top topics

join