It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you give your obese child weight loss drugs?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2024 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Here's something else to talk about, do you guys think it's okay to give these weight loss drugs to kids? They are claiming this is going to be a game-changer for childhood obesity that diet and exercise don't help. My question is, are there really SO many kids that can't lose weight by modifying their diet and exercise that we really need to resort to just giving them a weight loss shot? And if so, we need to look into why that is. Why is it impossible for these kids to lose weight unless they take weight loss drugs? is it something related to food additives?? something in the water?? some genetic problem we can test for???? I don't know that's why i am asking the question. There could be millions of kids out here, suffering from obesity yet unable to lose weight with changing diet and exercising and if there is, we should all be VERY concerned and need to get to the bottom of WHY this is.

I was a fat little kid, I was very big because we didn't.....we ate a lot of fun stuff, ice cream, donuts, soda i mean, i had a great childhood i always thought my dad was cool because he liked m&m's and Hershey bars and we'd put them in the freezer and sometimes i would come home from school excited for my candy bar and oops my dad ate it hehehehehehehe. He was funny like that.

Anyways, i found this article and i'm just gonna give my opinion of yes i realize there are things that can prevent kids like diseases or whatever that prevent kids from losing weight or make them gain weight. I know that. I also know that our society has an unnatural obsession with appearance. Sometimes it seems as if everyone's value is only determined by their appearance and that is wrong. No one, and i mean no one at all in the world should derive their self-esteem from their appearance or what others think of how they look.

Having said that I have a big problem with this because now i went the wrong way with it, i developed an eating disorder because i was heavily bullied and people say mean things and it was pretty bad, so i did end up having an eating disorder and that was a dominating thing throughout middle and high school. I do not have a scale in my house even today because of that. I get obsessive.

But is the solution really medication with pretty rough side effects? What message is that sending first of all to these kids? Oh don't worry, you don't need any sense of personal accomplishment, you don't need any positive encouragement, you just need this medication. Just take the medication and all your problems go away. I'm sure the next thing will be kids making fun of other kids for taking these weight loss drugs.

yes, yes, they can say "it goes hand in hand with changing diet and increasing exercise" but will it really? How many of these children are obese because their parents are obese and eat unhealthy things and the kids usually don't have a choice, they usually have to eat what the parent is eating? Are the parents all supportive of this and changing the food brought into the house? I have a lot of faith in everyone but somehow i doubt that. How many of these children have bad examples or no limits on how much junk food they eat? How many of these children are sat in front of a screen for hours on end and rarely exert themselves physically?

I think it's better to maybe pump the breaks on giving 6 year olds weight loss drugs and really evaluate why this is happening. Is it unhealthy diet and no exercise? is it genetic? is it disease related? Rather than just giving kids medicine with side effects for what usually is a temporary problem.

That's my thoughts on it, here's some quotes from the article

Weight loss jabs could be prescribed to children as young as six after trials found they slashed obesity and other health problems. Those who took liraglutide for just over a year reduced their BMI by more than seven per cent and had lower blood pressure and blood sugar levels. Experts suggest the discovery could one day help to turn the tide on the nation’s childhood obesity crisis, helping them to ‘lead healthier, more productive lives’. More than one in five children in England are overweight when they start school, rising to one in three by the time they leave for secondary school.

now they claim they do this in concert with "lifestyle changes"

Professor Claudia Fox, of the University of Minnesota Medical School, Minneapolis, said the drug could help where lifestyle interventions have failed. She said: ‘The results of this study offer considerable promise to children living with obesity. To date, children have had virtually no options for treating obesity. They have been told to ‘try harder’ with diet and exercise. ‘Now with the possibility of a medication that addresses the underlying physiology of obesity, there is hope that children living with obesity can live healthier, more productive lives.’

but there are so many side effects to these drugs

However, side effects such as nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea, were common, occurring in eight out of ten children receiving liraglutide half in the placebo group. More serious reactions were had by 12.5 per cent of those on the drug, compared to 7.7 per cent in the control group, causing one in ten on the jab giving up before the end of the trial.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Sep, 10 2024 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Absolutely not, if you are that concerned as a parent you modify your family's eating habits, eat healthy, and exercise.

Atleast until they are older 14-16

posted on Sep, 10 2024 @ 06:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Shoshanna

When you have time, watch this:

youtu.be...

posted on Sep, 10 2024 @ 06:35 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

100%

I’m even convinced you increase your “cap” in terms of strength later in life based off of what you do in your teen years.

Get some muscle while you’re young, then later on it’s easier to get back into shape, your body has been there once before, and you have the muscle to burn calories.

Decide you want to really go all out and push the limits? You have something to build off of.

Give a kid a pill, theyll need to use the pill again down the road or work twice as hard without the confidence of knowing they’re done if before.

posted on Sep, 10 2024 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Ozempic is a GLP-1 receptor agonist medication; the first to enter the market was Byetta® (exenatide) in 2005. Ozempic was first approved for diabetic use in 2017, just 7 year. It's use for weightloss has only been recent, so there's really not a lot of data.

When I consider it took over 20 years for researchers to figure out Thalidomide was causing babies to be born without limbs and over 40 uears to figure out Ranitidine causes cancer, alarm bells ring.

My youngest suffered weight issues since the age of four. It wasn't until she was in her 20's that doctors finally figured out her obesity was caused by PCOS.
I raised my kids on home-cooked foods. I didn't even use cake mixes; everything from scratch as I've always felt there are too many chemicals in the food chain. I've never been a fan of highly processed foods, and things like soda or chips were a real treat-like maybe on the 4th of July and their birthday.
We didn't eat fast food often, either; a McD burger might be comsumed if we were traveling, but it was a rare part of our diet.
I KNEW my daughter's weight problem was far more than diet, and thyroid tests showed that wasn't the problem. I think the doctors just thought I was lying when I said we had a junk-free diet. The poor girl outweighed me when she was 9 years old!
Yes, her school years were pure torture, but I would never, ever have tried Ozempic. Twenty years down the road they're going to find problems, pay a 6 million dollar fine and enjoy the trillions in profit they made for poisoning (most likely knowingly) people for 20 years.

My daughter managed to get pregnant when she was 23, something those with PCOS don't have a lot of success doing. She weighd around 500 pounds when her baby was born.
Her whole life has been one of dieting, exercise regimes and disappointment. It's been heartbreaking to watch. One thing it DID do (I think) is make her a good person. She has more compassion and empathy in her little finger than most people muster in their whole lives. She also knows the difference between a 'hand up' and a 'hand out'.

She sent me a messaage four years ago asking me not to get mad at her, but she had decided to go to Mexico (because it's a more affordable option) for gastric bypass surgery. That caused another level of worry for me, but this is about her and her quality of life.
She's lost a lot of weight, but the constant medical monitroing she needs for the rest of her life seems like a high price to pay. Again, not my life.

Life is full of hard choices; hard for the people making them, and hard for those who love them. In the end, I will enjoy today and milk it to it's fullest, because there may not be a tomorrow.

Enjoy every moment you spend with your loved ones, because you never know if it will be the last.

edit on 1/1/1908 by nugget1 because: sp

posted on Sep, 10 2024 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I wouldn't give any kind of weight loss drug to anyone under thirteen. That is my opinion. Correct their diet and that would be the best solution.

posted on Sep, 10 2024 @ 07:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColeYounger2

When you have time, watch this:

youtu.be...

Here's another - JP Sears lays the whole scam out

These big pharma drug pushers deserve the firing squad

posted on Sep, 10 2024 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Depends on the cause of the obesity I would suppose.

If they were # parents to begin with a let their child gorge themselves into slovenly brats then I would assume they would be # parents and allow their kids take the medicine at even further side effects and determine.

A good parent wouldn’t never let their child become obese and would never have to consider the meds in the first place.

There are some conditions in such as thyroid problem which can cause excess weight at no fault to the individual then it would up to the parents to decide the risk of being a fat ass vs the risk of side effects.

Being fat is fatal. You ever see a morbidly obese 80 year old? Me either. Heck you are lucky to see 50 if your rotund. So in the case of unavoidable weight gain which is exceedingly rare weight the risk/reward.

Personally in the case of genetic disorders causing unavoidable weight gain I would take the medication for my child over obesity as obesity we know for sure is dangerous and shortens one’s life very considerably not to mention the stigma and mental distress it brings with it as well as loss of mobility.

If your child is a sedentary lard well….do better.

edit on 10-9-2024 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-9-2024 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2024 @ 07:29 PM
link   
a reply to: underpass61

Agreed. Big Pharma is evil.

posted on Sep, 10 2024 @ 07:38 PM
link   

If I had an overweight child, they would be in the gym boxing with with me six days a week. If it'll work for my 40 year old self, it's guaranteed to work with anyone younger. It's not muscle building but it's the best cardio you can find. No drugs for the kids.

posted on Sep, 10 2024 @ 11:07 PM
link   
No.

Not before I helped change their diet, and made them exercise.

posted on Sep, 12 2024 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Okay, here's what you need to know.. Back in the day the big tobacco companies bought out the big food companies. The big tobacco companies sent their scientists over to work at the big food companies. these scientists were the same ones that helped make tobacco so addictive. Now they are doing the same to food. The least nutritional food is more addictive now and you don't even know you are addicted to it

posted on Sep, 12 2024 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Would you give your obese child weight loss drugs?

I wouldn't give anyone those weight loss drugs.
If someone has to lose weight, you do it the old fashioned way.
Less food and more exercise ... if possible.
If not possible, then surgery for the sleeve in the stomach.
But those drugs? Nope.

new topics

top topics

join