It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Treasure Trove of Marine Fossils Found Under San Pedro High School

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2024 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Some renovation work at my old high school has unearthed an incredible cache of fossils, some dating back 9 million years!

TREASURE TROVE OF MARINE FOSSILS FOUND UNDER SAN PEDRO HIGH SCHOOL

Looks like it's a pretty big deal -

They will be cataloging this stuff for years - pretty sure it's going to impact the renovation schedule!

posted on Sep, 10 2024 @ 01:58 PM
link   
How Awesome! I would love to dig around there!
We have a lot of gravel pits in our area and I have found some pretty need stuff from the rocks that are around office building in town, that came from the pits.
We used to have a bit of a fossil expert here, but he hasn't been on in a long time. Really wish I could have picked his brain on some of the stuff I found.

Pretty neat you went to school there. Ever find anything?

posted on Sep, 10 2024 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: underpass61

This is so cool thanks for posting it! I love rocks and fossils I think its so neat you can literally hold something that is millions of years old in your hand.

posted on Sep, 10 2024 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

I never found anything on-campus, aside from the football field it's pretty much 100% concrete. Exploring the coastline as a kid I found some trilobite impressions in some rocks and a few arrowheads (the Tongva tribe lived in the area). It was a great place to grow up.

edit on 9 10 2024 by underpass61 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2024 @ 06:25 AM
link   
More than 40 years ago, on the excavations for a new building near where I live people noticed several fossils on the ground and on the walls of the large pit they excavated, so kids being kids we (me, my sister and a neighbour) went there to see what we could find.

Beside lots of shells I found this:

A carcharodon megalodon tooth. It's still sharp enough to cut paper.

Even for some ignorant kids, finds like this are great, imagine scientists finding new species.

edit on 11/9/2024 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2024 @ 06:43 AM
link   
a reply to: underpass61

Some renovation work at my old high school has unearthed an incredible cache of fossils, some dating back 9 million years!

The Devil put them there to test you!

Great stuff.

new topics

top topics

join