It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Psychedelic Mushrooms May Have Contributed To Early Development Of Human Consciousness

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2024 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Psychedelic Mushrooms May Have Contributed To Early Development Of Human Consciousness

So this is interesting.
Makes sense to me anyway, the help developing of consciousness.

A recent paper exploring the role of psilocybin mushrooms in the evolution of human consciousness says psychedelic has the “potential to trigger significant neurological and psychological effects” that may have influenced the development of our species over time.

“The hypothesis that psilocybin mushrooms may have intervened as a factor in the evolution of human consciousness, either catalysts for mystical experiences or as drivers of cognitive processes, raises reflections on the profound interaction humans between and their environment,” authors wrote, according to a translation of the original in the Spanish.
“The origin of human consciousness is one of the great questions facing man, and the material collected indicates that psilocybin may have contributed to its early development.”

I thought this would be of interest to some people here. Its not really in my interests, but hey. This is an interesting article nonetheless.

Its been translated from Portuguese to English so excuse the grammar mistakes. Theres only a couple its easy reading.
LINK TO ARTICLE

posted on Sep, 7 2024 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: SecretKnowledge2

I have to point out that those mushrooms in the picture appear to be Brown Shimeji mushrooms also sold by Trader Joe's as Brown Beech mushrooms. I eat them multiple times per week. They're really good in omelettes and almost any Asian stir fry. But I've never had a psychedelic experience from them.

Maybe I'm preparing them wrong.

posted on Sep, 7 2024 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Terrence McKenna was right...

posted on Sep, 7 2024 @ 11:21 AM
link   
No doubt they did just like Coca leaves from South America, the poppy fields in Asia and Afghanistan. Some have suggested our obsession with Beer and Spirits helped shape Europe and ultimately America.

Most of humanity's dangerous discoveries were likely discovered under the effects of several elixirs or herbs.

So it's not too much of a stretch to see us delving deeper into our minds on mushrooms and psychedelics.

posted on Sep, 7 2024 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

Psylocibin is the safest and strongest psychedelic substance that is readily available in nature without any need of processing...

Well appart from '___' the active compound in ayahuasca, but that is another rabit hole all together... Suffice it to say that the indigenous lore about how they became knowledgeable about it's preparation is that shrooms told them....

Shrooms are so intrinsically connected to all life, it might have been their idea all together...

posted on Sep, 7 2024 @ 12:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Terpene

Terrence McKenna was right...

He was probably right 98% of the time!

I don't believe consciousness is generated in the brain any more than television programs are made inside my TV. The box is too small.
...Terence McKenna

posted on Sep, 7 2024 @ 03:03 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Sep, 7 2024 @ 04:44 PM
link   
a reply to: lilzazz

That might be true if you ignore the poisoning effect and the resulting hangover...

Don't talk about consumption, it's really unfortunate but from what I've seen this is one of the most enforced rule on the board, i wouldn't be surprised if your post disappears, if you don't edit.

You can tell everything without the need to compare personal notes...

Please edit
edit on 7-9-2024 by Terpene because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2024 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Now that i can believe.

After all, Psilocybin is the only way to travel.

posted on Sep, 7 2024 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Stoned ape hypothesis is a fun concept but I don't see any evolutionary advantage in habitually consuming hallucinogens. If anything that probably made primates more vulnerable because they were tripping balls.

posted on Sep, 8 2024 @ 03:45 AM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

I disagree.
When they're tripping nothing is real.

But ive always preferred the day after, because my brain the night before had processed a ton of stuff. The next day, clarity like never before.
Thats when the stoned apes started thinking i believe anyway.

posted on Sep, 8 2024 @ 03:55 AM
link   

The world around them is still real SecretKnowledge2.

The same dangers present themselves.

But a person's reaction, response, or actions, may be different, down to one's altered state.

Hence the reason it's always best to do the likes of psychedelics around people you trust.

Side note, dont eat Maltesers that will freak you right out.

edit on 8-9-2024 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2024 @ 03:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Terpene

Don't talk about consumption, it's really unfortunate but from what I've seen this is one of the most enforced rule on the board, i wouldn't be surprised if your post disappears, if you don't edit.

This.

Please dont talk about your consumptions and favourite whatever. This thread is about mushrooms helping apes evolve with their consciousness.

The thread or at the very least your post will be removed.

posted on Sep, 8 2024 @ 04:05 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Oh i do know all that mate.

I meant their brain is processing life differently, like everything has changed. Hence nothing is real.
Obviously the World is still real.
I agree with every line you wrote. Especially being with people you trust.

But for me anyway, the next day my brain was like its been re-setted, clear as air.

And dont eat chewing gum, that hilarious...

posted on Sep, 8 2024 @ 09:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: SecretKnowledge2

I disagree.
When they're tripping nothing is real.

But ive always preferred the day after, because my brain the night before had processed a ton of stuff. The next day, clarity like never before.
Thats when the stoned apes started thinking i believe anyway.

There were many natural predators who would have loved to snack on some hapless inebriated hominid who can't properly defend itself because, like you said, stuff isn't real. So it doesn't what it's fighting or where to flee. I would compare that scenario to a cliche horror movie where drunken teens on a lark are confronted by axe murderer and summarily dispatched.

edit on 8-9-2024 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2024 @ 11:14 AM
link   

LOL, yup i agree.

But whether mushrooms actually helped evolve consciousness during tripping, or the next day, doesn't really matter.
It would still be because of the mushrooms ingested.

For me and others ive spoke with, the day after tripping is when ideas start popping. Now don't get me wrong, i know all too well that ideas start flowing while you're tripping, sometimes its a bit hard to remember your thoughts when you were way down that rabbit hole.
"That brilliant idea i had last night, wtf was it", kinda thing.
For me, i could remember a lot of it but not the full picture, the absolute whole idea, bits and pieces from the night/day before.

But at least my brain was stimulated, and maybe this is what the article or the stoned ape theory means.
Stimulation from mushrooms leading to developing consciouness

posted on Sep, 8 2024 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I see how someone could make this assumption due to the revealing capabilities of mushrooms. But I think they are more so returning our minds back to archetypal brain patterns. It seems more accurate to call it a remembrance or homecoming rather than an enhancement.

Not to mention if mushrooms were able to add some of the 400 billion miles of neural circuitry required to turn a chimp-like creature into a human then we would be able to notice this drastic enhancement of neuronal mass.
edit on 8-9-2024 by cooperton because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2024 @ 02:05 AM
link   
a reply to: cooperton

Just wondering how we would notice " this drastic enhancement of neuronal mass."

(post by lilzazz removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Sep, 11 2024 @ 01:47 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

top topics

<<   2 >>

join