It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can someone please explain Oasis to me???

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2024 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Can someone please explain the band Oasis to me? Because I must be missing something, like really missing it!

For the better part of 20 years I've been hearing about this band called Oasis like they walk on freaking water. To the best of my knowledge, they only have one single song which made it onto the charts in the US (Wonderwall) and the rest of their music is just, well, not great (trying to be somewhat nice here). Since their 'one-hit wonder', they've charted exactly ZERO other songs, despite countless albums. What is the big deal with these guys, and why TF do they matter?

Recently I've been hearing about some "Oasis reunion" like it's the 2nd coming of Christ!; WTF is the big deal??? People are like flopping around on the sidewalks over this, and I don't even know who these people are...other than a couple of Brits with an attitude problem. It's almost like they've tried to self-promote / 'invent' themselves as the next Beatles sensation, or next British invasion (in music), but they ain't all that from what I can tell.

Can someone explain this 'Oasis' phenomenon to me?

P.S. - Sorry if I've pissed off some of our UK members by questioning Oasis' god-like following, but I'm totally not getting it.

edit on 9/3/2024 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2024 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Hahaha.

If you like 7th chords and non-sensical lyrics, they rock.

Not as hard as Bush, but they do have some good jams.

posted on Sep, 3 2024 @ 05:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: SteamyAmerican
Hahaha.

If you like 7th chords and non-sensical lyrics, ...

I don't; maybe that's part of the problem.

posted on Sep, 3 2024 @ 05:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

They came to fame during the 90's Brit-pop and Manchester music scene. They were heavily influced by bands like the Beatles and had some massive world wide hits like "Wonderwall" "Don't Look in Anger" and "Live For Ever". People often pick those songs as the best Brtish pop songs ever, with their clash with Blur for the Number 1 spot making headline 'news' in the day. The Gallagher brothers were lead vocal and guitar, and often fell out eventually causing the band to split up and brothers not speaking for many years.
en.wikipedia.org...

Britpop was a phenomenon that highlighted bands emerging from the independent music scene of the early 1990s. Although often seen as a cultural moment rather than a distinct musical genre, its associated bands typically drew inspiration from the British pop music of the 1960s

www.npr.org...

From the late 1980s through the early '90s, the "Madchester" music scene was born out of rave club culture in Manchester, England. Combining rock, house, dance, electronic and psychedelic music, bands like Happy Mondays, The Stone Roses, New Order, 808 State and others garnered global music and pop cultural significance.

If you were British and young in the 90's you couldn't escape it even if you didn't like that music scene, which I didn't.
I hear scalpers have been trying to charge upto 10 grand (13,118 US Dollars) for tickets for the reuion concert after they sold out.
edit on 3-9-2024 by Kurokage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2024 @ 06:12 AM
link   
Some kind of gronks with anger management issues 🤷🏽‍♂️

posted on Sep, 3 2024 @ 06:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Kurokage

Thanks. I've only heard of one of the songs you listed (wonderwall, which I didn't particularly care for primarily due to it's repetitiveness), but okay.

I guess the vibe I get from them is kind of like that of Kylie Minogue. She was a superstar like Madonna in Australia, but largely unknown outside of Australia and parts of Asia (and she wasn't all that talented either). Maybe Oasis is better, I don't know, but that's kind of the same vibe I get from them.

Many decades ago I used to work in radio and was really into all the music trends. In that time I found there were two kinds of artists / groups. There were those who set the trends which were what I call 'organically' revolutionary and popular, and then there were those who were 'promoted' by those who wanted to create a new trend and something famous (be it themselves, or others around them) where it was all artificial. When you look at trends like The Beatles, or the whole Punk movement (Sex Pistols, Clash, etc.), or Rock bands like Scorpions, Dire Straits, AC/DC, Rolling Stones, Foo Fighters, Rage Against, and so many others who broke out of regional stardom to international stardom, I just don't see Oasis as being one of these. However, their following, particularly in the UK seems to suggest the exact opposite...which doesn't really compute to me. Kinda' like 'wannabe's'.

I put groups like The Killers here in the US in the same group. Way too commercial sounding, like they knocked off every inventive little riff and technique from a variety of other stars and then rolled it all up into one "sound" which they tried to define as their own when in reality it was a conglomeration of a bunch of other artist's sounds. Not organic at all.

edit on 9/3/2024 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2024 @ 07:26 AM
link   

A few videos to explain the reasons why i don't like them. When they come on the radio, my fingers twitch to the off button fast as anything.... admittedly there are only 12 notes in an octave and you're eventually bound to get similarities between songs. Their attitude stinks, but as Liam said what do you expect when you give an estate kid lots of money...

I've watched this following video over an over again, laughing hard at Liam 'the hardman' Gallagher. If you watch carefully, his brother Noel gets pushed by a stage invader. The stage hands are all over him whilst Liam watches and only goes to get involved when the situation is well taken care of. No autopilot to protect family thing, just try to give him a slap when they chap can't move.

I might be a bit jaded from when they first came out with all the 'cool kids' liking them but I was never a cool kid. Kind on in the same vein i don't like that 'Grime' stuff.

Regards

posted on Sep, 3 2024 @ 07:27 AM
link   

They suck. They've always sucked.

They make music for women and soy boy cucks.

If you don't fall into those two demographics, then you'll never get them.

Just move on and continue to enjoy life not listening to them.

posted on Sep, 3 2024 @ 07:49 AM
link   

On the contrary, rant away.
I was one of the Brits who found their music overhyped to say the least.
That whole BritPop phenomenon , meh.
Then again, I'm a 90s Raver so ever so slightly biased

posted on Sep, 3 2024 @ 07:55 AM
link   

They did write their own music and for a while were on top of the world, but the Gallaghers couldn't control their attitudes (they grew up on a council estate like many of us Brits) and along with the typical drugs and money, they themselves eventually killed their chances. Noel Gallagher has never shied away from admitting his copied riffs...er I mean influences whilst writting.

But they did sum up the feeling at the time in the 90s with some good songs....

"Don't Look Back in Anger" was also taken to the hearts of many 'Mancs' after the Ariana Grande arena bombing.

posted on Sep, 3 2024 @ 08:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Cymru

Then again, I'm a 90s Raver so ever so slightly biased

Yeah, same here and loved me some trip hop and not the Manchester attitude.

posted on Sep, 3 2024 @ 08:29 AM
link   

There are a bunch of bands from Britain that are huge in Europe that didn't hit as big in America.

I think Blur is one of them.. one hit wonder in America.

I'm sure the Brits in our group could name many more.

posted on Sep, 3 2024 @ 08:40 AM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

That's kind of been my take on them from the start.

Plus an attitude which would get the snot kicked out of them.

posted on Sep, 3 2024 @ 08:46 AM
link   

They suck. I myself have always wondered why people care. They really act like these guys are gods.

Just the other day I saw something about a possible reunion and they were just gushing over it like it was the return of Jesus. (this is in the US)

I think the sad thing is that most people don't really like music that much and they just like whatever they are told to like or what everyone else is talking about.

You are correct about the promotion thing. You can cram a group down the publics throat and a certain percentage will eat it up.

I think there is a producer somewhere that really pushed these guys.

posted on Sep, 3 2024 @ 09:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
a reply to: watchitburn

That's kind of been my take on them from the start.

Plus an attitude which would get the snot kicked out of them.

Isn't that all wannabe rock stars!!

posted on Sep, 3 2024 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Well, I guess my response to that is, yes to a certain extent. However, I think the difference is "when" these so called 'rockstars' develop the attitude. Most of the organically grown ones don't develop the attitude until "after" they've been famous for quite a while.

The 'wannabe' rockstars start out from the very beginning with the attitude, like they're already famous or something. Another way of saying this is...the real true stars are ones who are in it for the musical value and the artistic expression. This was never the Oasis that I saw. They, like some others, seemed like they wanted the lifestyle and the fame more than anything else...the music was just a means to achieve it. Hell, it took one of them getting hit in the head with a hammer to take up music over sports (according to what I read). Probably realized he wasn't going anywhere with sports, so he took up music instead.

posted on Sep, 3 2024 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I was told that they are "alternative" Beatles, but the Beatles are trash too imo. I prefer death and heavy metal anyways. Rock on!

posted on Sep, 3 2024 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Still living the 90s.
London end of the month, 3 stages, 30+ DJs.
Still.a kid at heart.
And absolutely NO BritPop.

posted on Sep, 3 2024 @ 02:03 PM
link   
They are one of the PAs favourite bands and it's perpetuated by DJs in PA gatherings as they know it hypes them up. It's like the song "I'm gonna be" by the Proclaimers. If you're on holiday and you want to find large crowds of Scotch PAs just keep your ears open and the noise will guide you.
As for Oasis reunion, well they haven't released any new material that I've heard about, SO, Whoops reunion cos they're getting short of money.

posted on Sep, 3 2024 @ 02:17 PM
link   

There’s a heap of bands from the 90’s who gained legendary status and a cult following, when in reality they only had a handful of good songs and the rest were trash… Nirvana and Metallica come to mind.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join