It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking- Putin arrives in Mongolia despite ICC arrest threat

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Putin arrives in Mongolia, a member of the ICC that issued an arrest warrant for him

Russian President Vladimir Putin arrived Monday in Mongolia, a member of the international court that issued an arrest warrant for him.

The official visit, in which he is to meet Tuesday with Mongolian leader Ukhnaa Khurelsukh, is Putin’s first to a member country of the International Criminal Court since it issued a warrant for his arrest nearly 18 months ago on charges of war crimes in Ukraine.

Putin and the Mongolian leader on Tuesday are to attend a ceremony marking the 1939 victory of Soviet and Mongolian troops over the Japanese army that had taken control of Manchuria in northeastern China. Thousands of soldiers died in months of fighting in a dispute over where the border was between Manchuria and Mongolia.

abcnews.go.com...

edit on 2-9-2024 by Imhere because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Imhere

Putin arrives in Mongolia

His visit is little more than Political theatre , unless perhaps he's looking for help from the Mongol Hordes .... a bit late maybe.

Even so it seems Putin can only go where his armoured train can take him.

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

His visit is little more than Political theatre , unless perhaps he's looking for help from the Mongol Hordes .... a bit late maybe.

Yeah tell me that story about what happens when a government or monarchy figure gets killed during a time continental conflict and unrest.

I can not stand Putin or the Russian government but throwing the Duma into disarray would likely escalate NOT de-escalate the situation exponentially, true or false

I can say that while knowing Zelensky and all of Ukraine would love to take Vladimir out, understandably but still highly likely horrible for the situation.

My question what does Mongolia have that makes him take this risk? The ceremonial WWII is just a cover or its Putin thumbing his nose saying look at what I can do

edit on p000000309pm096 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex
Well Mongolia and Russia seem to have a rich intertwined history, and close security ties. Why would there be any significance or lack of significance in visiting a neighboring border state to which is also a security and trade partner?? I suspect this is designed to embolden other subjugates of the ICC to kick rocks and let him on in. What is the ICC going to do, issue a warrant for the head of state or diplomat of any state that refuses to cooperate??

I don't see what recourse the ICC has if everyone just ignored the European based institute and did what they damn well pleased?? Are you going to tell us all that would be the fall of Democracy the world over or some other nonsense ?? No I suspect not ... you tend to be more realistic. It is the others who will chime in and make those statements.

I tend to believe as long as Putin stays out of Europe, not a single other state will comply with said warrants, save maybe some tiny island nations with a single or handful of large metro areas to its name.

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 02:06 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

I don't see what recourse the ICC has if everyone just ignored the European based institute and did what they damn well pleased??

I believe signatories to the ICC face a fine if they don't uphold an arrest warrant , Putin's problem isn't the ICC it's plotters within the Kremlin hence the recent arrests for "corruption" in a government that runs on corruption.

edit on 2-9-2024 by gortex because: spelling

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 02:17 PM
link   

As a resident in Mongolia for ten years, I can tell you that Mongolia's ties with Russia are pretty tight, mainly because Mongols hate and completely distrust the Chinese. It's a small, economically disadvantage, landlocked country sandwiched between those two massive powers, so it has to snuggle up to one in order to be protected from the other. That was why Mongolia was one of the first (I think the first) Soviet satellite.

While I was there, they were always suspicious of the Chinese and wary of anything coming from China. They would never even think about arresting Putin. I figure that if there is a substantial find, Russia just might pay it for them.

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

He wants to build a pipeline to China for his gas as no one else wants it.

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6

My question what does Mongolia have that makes him take this risk? The ceremonial WWII is just a cover or its Putin thumbing his nose saying look at what I can do

"Putin’s visit to Mongolia is a well-planned provocation," Oleksandr Merezhko, Ukrainian MP and chair of the parliament's foreign affairs policy, and one of the signatories of the letter, told the Kyiv Independent on Sept. 2.

"He wants to show that no one cares about the ICC’s arrest warrant. If there is no reaction to his provocation then the ICC’s reputation will be badly damaged. And it will show the weakness of international law in general," added Merezhko, one of six lawmakers from Zelensky's Servant of the People party who signed the letter.

The letter follows an Aug. 30 public statement by Ukraine's Foreign Ministry that also urged Mongolia to arrest Putin.

Kremlin spokesperson Dmitry Peskov said on Aug. 30 that the visit is being prepared "carefully," adding that the Russian government has "no concerns" about the trip.

"We have a great dialogue with our friends in Mongolia," Peskov told Russian state-controlled media outlet Sputnik.

kyivindependent.com...

edit on 2-9-2024 by Imhere because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex
Let us say this fine is pissed on both figuratively and then literally , what then happens?

(post by KnowItAllKnowNothin removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: KnowItAllKnowNothin
I don't know man it looks pretty legit to me. Maybe from a few different angles we can find the sideways blinking reptilian eyes we see so often in our own leaders??

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 03:27 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 03:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Imhere

originally posted by: putnam6

"Putin’s visit to Mongolia is a well-planned provocation," Oleksandr Merezhko, Ukrainian MP and chair of the parliament's foreign affairs policy, and one of the signatories of the letter, told the Kyiv Independent on Sept. 2.

"He wants to show that no one cares about the ICC’s arrest warrant. If there is no reaction to his provocation then the ICC’s reputation will be badly damaged. And it will show the weakness of international law in general," added Merezhko, one of six lawmakers from Zelensky's Servant of the People party who signed the letter.

The letter follows an Aug. 30 public statement by Ukraine's Foreign Ministry that also urged Mongolia to arrest Putin.

Kremlin spokesperson Dmitry Peskov said on Aug. 30 that the visit is being prepared "carefully," adding that the Russian government has "no concerns" about the trip.

"We have a great dialogue with our friends in Mongolia," Peskov told Russian state-controlled media outlet Sputnik.

kyivindependent.com...

ICC was in question well before this. It is too weak for its questionable purpose, and its officials are as corruptable as any power and control organization is. Much like the United Nations it sounds good on paper but in practice....Theatrical weaksauce

nationalinterest.org...

When the International Criminal Court was first formed in 2002, many feared that it would become too powerful. It turns out that the problem with the ICC is not that it is too powerful, but that it is too weak.

edit on p000000309pm096 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Oldcarpy2

...."with his favorite male ballet dancer".

Wherever Putin is Dmitri the Bulgarian ballet dancer won't be far away....and no doubt no small amount of poppers etc.

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

"Poppers"?

What are those?

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 04:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Oldcarpy2
a reply to: putnam6

He wants to build a pipeline to China for his gas as no one else wants it.

Ummm...dudette...there was just a report out today that Europe has increased it's Russian gas consumption of both pipeline and LNG...and that Russia is now supplying more than the US...at a better price...

Do try to keep up...

YouSir

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 04:42 PM
link   
a reply to: YouSir

Was there?

Any chance of some... Ummm. Evidence? Ummm?

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: YouSir

Ummm....www.reuters.com...

Oh dear...ummm..

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Oldcarpy2

Always got to be mindful of site T&C's mate.....and I know you well enough to know you are quite informed in the ways of the world. 😉

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

Indeed.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join