It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Saved A Life Last Night

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 02:40 AM
link   
I Saved A Life Last Night

So after watching Liverpool thrash Man Utd 3-0 we were on a right high. I had a couple of mates round at mine watching the match.
After the game we were all standing out front just having a good laugh and being Irish.

Anyhow after the lads went home i go back inside and within 5 minutes me phone rings. Its James, a bloke i became good friends with when he worked at the football stadium where i work.

These were his words.

"Denis, you know i love you buddy. You're a sound bloke always have been. I dont want to be around anymore"
I asked him what he meant by that
"I want to die mate, ive swallowed a load of tablets."

His breathing was getting very heavy, his speech was slurry too.
I said "James mate wtf. Is this a joke? Please tell me this is a joke"

No reply.
I start shouting down the phone "James mate. JAMES ANSWER ME".
Then i hear him trying to talk but it was all mumbling. I realised i didnt know his address because i was gonna ring the ambulance.

"JAMES WHATS YOUR ADDRESS." No reply, but i could hear heavy heavy breathing.. Not normal breathing. Like he was almost choking like.

I screamed again WHATS YOUR ADDRESS. He mumbled it, i just about made it out. "Im ringing an ambo you stand up mate get up off your arse.
No reply. My heart was thumping im rattling dialling 999.

Told them he swallowed a heap of tablets he's not into drugs, theres no weapons there (they asked if there was). They're on their way.
I drive around to him took about 7 minutes.

We actually both get there same time. The hospital is about ten min drive so they obviously pissed it over.
I get out start kicking his door. Got it open about the third boot. I got out the way of the ambulance crew. He was unconscious on a chair.

My heart was absolutely thumping. They administered some anti overdose drug. No response. Im rattling at this stage.
They give him another shot. He starts to come round. He's a big heavy set guy.

The crew told me he's gonna be alright they're bringing him to hospital.
His wife was at her mother's so she knew nothing about it. We couldnt get her number coz James was drunk as hell.

So they took him off and i close his front door and go home.
I woke this morning to a text from his wife thanking me.

edit on Mon Sep 2 2024 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 04:05 AM
link   
It's so sad when a person hurts so bad the only way they can think of to stop the pain is suicide. He's very fortunate to have you as a friend; I hope he makes a full recovery and gets the help he needs in sorting things out so he can enjoy the remainder of his days.

Good on you!

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 05:16 AM
link   
a reply to: nugget1

Thanks nugget.

He absolutely rang the right person, i dont panic in situations. He knew i live near so maybe he was crying out for help and hoping i'd get there in time.
I dont know im surmising.

Its a scary situation, but if you can keep your head amongst chaos, you can do good things.

I really only typed this up this morning as a way of processing it. Im in no way boasting about saving lives i wish i didnt type the last line. Im not looking for praise.

But thank you again for your kind words nugget.

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 07:39 AM
link   
a reply to: SecretKnowledge2

Thanks for sharing your emotional experience. Denis. I believe these kind of events help us define who we are. If ever you ask yourself what your purpose is in life, then perhaps, this, and your other past interventions, are the answer.

That James searched for you in that moment of desperation is a testament to your empathic nature, whether you know you are or not. It’s all in his phrase, “You're a sound bloke always have been.”. Those words are worth a thousand accolades of lesser sorts.

I’m glad you stayed calm and collected and that you were able to act on time. To James, I hope he realises just how close he was to leaving this world and that he embraces his second chance at life… and perhaps, even pay-it-forward and save some other lost soul one day. Kindness can be addictive, so one life saved could spawn a hundred more.

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 07:42 AM
link   
If your friend is still around in a few months, see if he remembers the problems that brought him to the edge. So far, every time things seemed that bleak, they got better and those hard times were forgotten. I wish everyone could truly believe that when they are facing those times.

Your friend obviously didn't want to die, or he would never have called you. It's a good thing you are the kind of person who would kick in a door for a friend.

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Good on you man. Your a great person. You acted swiftly with love and compassion and immediately went into action. You are a hero.

edit on 2-9-2024 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Had my guitar player 5150 committed....cause he was talking giving away his guitars and to see that his son would get ....and I went "oh oh!"

Later ...he said he wanted to kill me....but he woulda done something stupid...if I hadn't had him taken away.

It's all good. God n people n things in places ....in the right timing.

Congrats. And thnx!...✌️

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 09:28 AM
link   
My daughter is a mental health professional at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore. I’m proud of her in that she makes a difference in people’s lives. But she sees them after they’ve tried. You, my friend, are one of a select few who gave those people a chance.

I’ve been in James’ shoes before, but never got that far. Probably why my daughter got into the profession, if I’m being honest.

I’ve come to the realization that suicide may be the easy way out, but is a form of terrorism for the family and friends. The why’s and guilt of not noticing is forever in their minds and hearts. It’s selfish, really. And life is full of ups and downs. It always gets better, and the good outweighs the bad.

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 09:45 AM
link   
I thank each and every one of youz for your kind words.

James is alive, i spoke with him earlier today. They're keeping him in hospital at least until tomorrow.

His wife rang me she couldnt thank me enough. They have 2 children, in their twenties. So it would have been devastating for them.
Im in no way saying all this for praise. Im just letting everyone that replied know the end result if you like.

I think most people know someone thats committed suicide. Its an absolute awful thing for a family to comprehend. To process. Why wouldnt he talk to us??
People can be complex, others do it on the spot, barely even thinking of their actions.

When you get so low, down on the floor, and all hope is lost. There is only one way left to go. Up. And up and back up again.
Change will not occur until change is made.

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 12:22 PM
link   
We lost a good friend recently ourselves.

He's estatic to be free from the meat prison.

Can't say the same for those he left behind.

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
If your friend is still around in a few months, see if he remembers the problems that brought him to the edge. So far, every time things seemed that bleak, they got better and those hard times were forgotten. I wish everyone could truly believe that when they are facing those times.

Your friend obviously didn't want to die, or he would never have called you. It's a good thing you are the kind of person who would kick in a door for a friend.

Well said network dude. I have found that when you're down and out what one needs most is a good shoulder to cry on, and a good ear to listen. I have needed and have been both.
edit on Mon, 02 Sep 2024 13:09:24 -0500pm90220240900000024America/ChicagoMon, 02 Sep 2024 13:09:24 -0500 by randomuser2034 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 01:53 PM
link   

When you see James tell him there's a whole community that's glad he's still here and we all wish him the very best.

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I cannot say any more than all the other members have already said.
Well done Denis and a big hug to you too friend.
Grateful Rainbows
Jane

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Bless you. A noble thing you did.
I hope your friend gets the help he needs

posted on Sep, 3 2024 @ 02:48 AM
link   
Wow that’s some scary stuff. Good job mate, those situations don’t always end that way.

posted on Sep, 3 2024 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Thanks everyone.

So i go up to their house, i didnt bother ringing ahead. TBH i wanted to tell James a couple of things but he's still in hospital. Apparently his liver didnt take too well to all the tablets. And 2 bottles of whisky apparently.

Thats not even the worst part.
They are not married, i presumed they were. So the hospital were not obliged to tell Carol anything. He must have asked them not to tell her.

So theres just Carol and their daughter in the house. She had no idea about his suicide attempt. Ive just told her half an hour ago. She's devastated. But she needed to know so she can get him help and not let him near alcohol.
So i told her what he said when he rang me. Told her he needs treatment, preferably residential.
She's in bits over it.

But i know i had to tell her, but i wasn't expecting just her and the daughter there.

Im processing this all over again, ive just left a mother and daughter in a sad way. Both holding each other.
She thanked me for the truth, she'd no idea he was feeling this way.
Thats what a proper friend is for. The Real. The truth.

I need a break, seriously...
edit on 3 9 2024 by SecretKnowledge2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2024 @ 02:01 PM
link   

No surprise it's hit home wth you too now. You take some time out for yourself.
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Sep, 4 2024 @ 01:58 AM
link   
a reply to: angelchemuel

Thanks Jane, you are a very decent human doing. Your words are comforting.

I dont mean to be dragging this story out, i wont post again after this i'd imagine.

Its just yesterday was awful having to sit there and look at their faces as i told them, then the tears and sobbing.

Ive done this before so im actually used to it. Ive delivered a lot of messages over the past 18 months.
This has nothing to do with this thread, but it will show you how many times ive given messages to people.

IGNORE THE TITLE I WAS ALL OVER THE PLACE

posted on Sep, 4 2024 @ 03:14 AM
link   

Lost too many friends and acquaintances to suicide.
I've had good friends murdered, died in accidents and through illnesses etc but taking your own life just seems the most senseless way to die.

Thing is, we never know just how much things affect a person. What can be such a trivial thing to others can become so important and such an overwhelming weight and presence to a person.....and vice versa.
Then the never ending drip drip drip of pressures, burdens, expectations etc of modern day life sometimes becomes unbearable for some.
For others the sense of loneliness, desperation and alienation becomes just too much to handle.

Its a wicked world we live in, cruel and unforgiving at times and some people just lose all sense of hope, direction and sense of self-worth.

A very, very deep rabbit hole mate.

I sometimes wish I could be transported to the world of two or three thousand years ago when things were so much simpler....but I do like my creature comforts and I think I'd miss them!

It was a good thing you did SK, well done.

posted on Sep, 4 2024 @ 11:51 AM
link   

I remember that thread now you've reminded me.
As I said, take some time for yourself too.
Rainbows
Jane

top topics

<<   2 >>

join