It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So where do you wash your collard greens when you have a mess of them to cook?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2024 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Our double sink works fine...but ive been told to wash the in your bathtub. WTH is there anybody that washes food in thier bathtub?

Bathtub gin I semi-understand it is a disinfectant.

We do ours with bacon or ham hock a splash of ACV chicken base or bouillon, garlic, onion salt and pepper.

It's a meal by itself with a slab of cornbread raw onion and tomato

posted on Sep, 1 2024 @ 05:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6

Our double sink works fine...but ive been told to wash the in your bathtub. WTH is there anybody that washes food in thier bathtub?

We do ours with bacon or ham hock a splash of ACV chicken base or bouillon, garlic, onion salt and pepper.

Many may never know the pleasures of the deep south. But from what I have learned, the women, prefer the dudes, to cook them elsewhere, due to the smell. And the dudes, seem to dig that as some sort of challenge, and when hot sauce is applied, it becomes a right of passage. If you know, you know.

posted on Sep, 1 2024 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Kitchen sink.

Add some sliced fresh ginger root to that recipe.

You can thank me later.

posted on Sep, 1 2024 @ 05:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

originally posted by: putnam6

Many may never know the pleasures of the deep south. But from what I have learned, the women, prefer the dudes, to cook them elsewhere, due to the smell. And the dudes, seem to dig that as some sort of challenge, and when hot sauce is applied, it becomes a right of passage. If you know, you know.

LOL yeah, it was always my granny in the kitchen, sometimes if we got there early we'd help her clean them in her sink in batches.

Our hot sauce was left as a condiment, though I always slather it on and mix it up.

Granny rarely had Tabasco she always had the Louisana Brand.

There are some off-brands now that are fantastic Rocky's Bacon Sirachi hot sauce is the bomb with collards.

posted on Sep, 1 2024 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

customized hot sauce. It's the new thing. Wait till you find out the scope of this. Mind blowing.

It's like finding out bourbon is better than Jack Daniels. Game changer.

posted on Sep, 1 2024 @ 05:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: AwakeNotWoke
Kitchen sink.

Add some sliced fresh ginger root to that recipe.

You can thank me later.

Hmm, I love ginger root, I bet that is pretty damn good. Is it chopped to eat or does it just meld with the cooking to be removed like a bay leaf?

I know ginger root is essential when making pork or chicken potstickers mixed in with ground pork, napa cabbage spring onion

posted on Sep, 1 2024 @ 05:44 PM
link   
In the sink. Cook with smoked ham hocks and a beer. Top with pepper vinegar. Trappey's, if you don't want to make your own.

If you're cooking kale, chop then wash. Chopping increases the bitterness production, and you can get rid of a lot of that by chopping pre wash.

Don't sleep on Swiss chard. May be my favorite.

posted on Sep, 1 2024 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I have always had a ‘farmhouse’ sink in my kitchen, so I wash them in that. I LOVE collards with hot sauce. Never did the ginger, but sounds intriguing. I’ve heard about the bathtub, but you’d better have it squeaky clean! 🤢

posted on Sep, 1 2024 @ 06:27 PM
link   

We slice it real thin so that it just cooks in. You get little nibbles of ginger when you eat the greens, but the flavor cooks in.

My son came up with that.

posted on Sep, 1 2024 @ 06:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: LollieK3
I have always had a ‘farmhouse’ sink in my kitchen, so I wash them in that. I LOVE collards with hot sauce. Never did the ginger, but sounds intriguing. I’ve heard about the bathtub, but you’d better have it squeaky clean! 🤢

Yeah!

I don't fancy washing my greens in the same place where I wash my butt.

posted on Sep, 1 2024 @ 06:30 PM
link   
a reply to: yeahright

Kale?

We cool kale with lots of lard.

Helps 'em slide off the plate and into the trash can more easily.

posted on Sep, 1 2024 @ 06:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

customized hot sauce. It's the new thing. Wait till you find out the scope of this. Mind blowing.

It's like finding out bourbon is better than Jack Daniels. Game changer.

LOL, I lived the reference like any teen southern boy drank my share of Jack, my Dad got a bottle of 12-year-old Wild Turkey on Christmas back in the early 80s, he left in on the counter one evening and I took a swig or 4 it was good

But I live off of hot sauce recipes, where's your place to find them?

Cause the Bacon Honey Sirachi Ghost Pepper goes on well on anything but the Wasabi Reaper will clear out your head sinuses innards and anything else it touches goes well in wonton soup for example but it overwhelms buffalo wing sauce and chili.

posted on Sep, 1 2024 @ 06:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: AwakeNotWoke
a reply to: yeahright

Kale?

We cool kale with lots of lard.

Helps 'em slide off the plate and into the trash can more easily.

Yeah, I saw somebody did a video about the best way to prepare kale, was basically that use a nonstick skillet for exactly that.

posted on Sep, 1 2024 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Yeah no thanks to the bathtub cooking prep, especially when you find out how many people pee in the shower

posted on Sep, 1 2024 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Food grade plastic barrel. I keep a few around. Mine have removable lids and gaskets and a clamp

posted on Sep, 1 2024 @ 07:21 PM
link   
My buddy made me a giant fancy 15-gallon stainless kettle in the 80s for making beer. But usually if Im cooking kale, I use a large wok, and some hi temp hot oil such as wagyu lard, coconut oil, or avocado oil. you can fit quite a bit in there as it begins cooking. Throw in the garlic towards the end.

posted on Sep, 1 2024 @ 08:44 PM
link   
I’ve started roasting my kale. You do it right, they become crispy. 350 degrees, oiled pan, spray som oil on them with salt… yummy. Gotta watch them though. They burn fast.

posted on Sep, 1 2024 @ 11:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem
Food grade plastic barrel. I keep a few around. Mine have removable lids and gaskets and a clamp

Exactly we used to have one of those huge catering stainless steel bowls...

posted on Sep, 1 2024 @ 11:35 PM
link   

I’ve started roasting my kale. You do it right, they become crispy. 350 degrees, oiled pan, spray som oil on them with salt… yummy. Gotta watch them though. They burn fast.

Thats the only way I can eat kale dried in the oven and yes they do burn easily, we went on a health kick kale chips with a little Franks dry seasoning and or Grillmates Dill Pickle seasoning is the best.

I can choke down sauteed kale but it ain't collards it ain't spinach and it isn't swiss chard

Supposedly kale works great in a dehydrator but Ive never tried it

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 12:06 AM
link   
I don't know if I have ever had collard greens. I like cooked swiss chard and cooked spinach, are they similar in taste? For salads, which we eat a few times a week, we always use Iceburg lettuce. Most times they are chef salads.

I got a long restaurant commercial stainless steel double sink with long side drainboards for washing veggies and fish outside It has screw in leg sockets to put on galvanized pipes. Never hooked it up in the back yard, even got faucets for it...my Indian friend who was a commercial indian fisherman died, so I got it stuck in a building now. Was kind of afraid of the smell attracting bears and also, getting oldER and I like to do more preparing in the kitchen these days. I had gardens for like twenty years, and lost interest in that somewhat now, just got peppers and tomatoes in pots now. I still buy about eight white fish a year and filet them and vacuum pack them for the freezer, and we buy a half a head of beef every year. I used to enjoy gardening and fishing and picking wild berries but am getting tired of it these days...still make lots of strawberry freezer jam and the wife makes freezer applesauce every year.
edit on 2-9-2024 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join