It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Starliner crew are reporting hearing strange "sonar like noises" from the spacecraft

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2024 @ 06:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: AwakeNotWoke

originally posted by: WeMustCare
a reply to: putnam6

They've been under a lot of stress. I thought SpaceX was coming to rescue them.

Not until freakin' February!

I started a thread about our medical technology going backwards, causing life-expectancy to grow shorter.

Maybe there needs to be some research into if our space technology is in retrograde too. We seem to have peaked in 1968.

posted on Sep, 1 2024 @ 07:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6

originally posted by: Tolkien

A more worrisome, probable/possible explanation could be that the speaker wire is picking up signals from other spacecraft wiring.

The fact that the speaker was not doing this before suggests ongoing degradation of the spacecraft wiring, highly possible since Boeing has struggled before with that very spacecraft's wiring insulation.

If I'm right, next problem up would be sporadic electical issues, then fire.....

Hope I'm wrong.....

Yeah thats not good, but that sound from faulty wiring? like power surges? wouldn't that show up on meters or gauges on board?

Power surges on some power cables now coupling onto speaker wires by induction, due to power cable insulation degradation.

Might be small or might be large.
Most individual instruments replaced by large screens and astronauts may not necessarily see such variation unless they dig down the menus for it.

But NASA DOES KNOW.
They watch ALL telemetry.

Which is why they cancelled astronaut return via Starliner; like me, NASA may be afraid of an In-capsule fire....
edit on 1-9-2024 by Tolkien because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2024 @ 09:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Tolkien

The prospect of repeating the Apollo 1 disaster in the making?

Too horrible to contemplate.

Ideally, they'd unlock the capsule from ISS and de-orbit it ASAP. Unfortunately, NASA is afraid that the control systems aboard Starliner are compromised, and there is the possibility that it coulld crash into the ISS.

But leaving Starliners attached to ISS means leaving a literal "ticking time bomb" in place.

posted on Sep, 1 2024 @ 10:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Mantiss2021

That could be bad if there is no way to release the dock without someone in the capsul. They do it with the unmanned ones but this one might have the automatic controls damaged.

If they can undock, there is still the possibility of the thrusters not working properly and that could cause a crash danger for the station should they try to remote fly it.

posted on Sep, 1 2024 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Just Alexa when muted warning them that something is wrong with the ship. Been making that strange noise from the getgo so they turned off the speaker from Alexa.
It is harmless, Alexa kept warning them that the ship was not right, so just like our government when they don't want to hear something they just sensor the warnings if it does not fit the narrative they want to portray.

posted on Sep, 1 2024 @ 10:51 PM
link   
a reply to: BeyondKnowledge3

If Kubrick hadn't been murdered, maybe he would make a new movie called:

DEI: A Space Odyssey

posted on Sep, 1 2024 @ 11:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mantiss2021

Ideally, they'd unlock the capsule from ISS and de-orbit it ASAP. Unfortunately, NASA is afraid that the control systems aboard Starliner are compromised, and there is the possibility that it coulld crash into the ISS.

But leaving Starliners attached to ISS means leaving a literal "ticking time bomb" in place.

Agreed.

They need to undock ASAP while they still appear to have a modicum of functional electronics.
Or is Starliner already past that point ?

If NASA waits until a fire, they will have ZERO means of removing it, even assuming the fire does not engulf/damage the ISS.

NASA is not thinking this through

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 12:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tolkien

originally posted by: Mantiss2021

Agreed.

They need to undock ASAP while they still appear to have a modicum of functional electronics.
Or is Starliner already past that point ?

If NASA waits until a fire, they will have ZERO means of removing it, even assuming the fire does not engulf/damage the ISS.

NASA is not thinking this through

I don't know but here is a good article it will be flying back autonomously on the 6th. 

arstechnica.com...

This weekend's sonar-like noises most likely have a benign cause, and Wilmore certainly did not sound frazzled. But the odd noises are worth noting given the challenges that Boeing and NASA have had with the debut crewed flight of Starliner, including substantial helium leaks in flight, and failing thrusters. NASA announced a week ago that, due to uncertainty about the flyability of Starliner, it would come home without its original crew of Wilmore and Suni Williams.

Starliner is now due to fly back autonomously to Earth on Friday, September 6. Wilmore and Williams will return to Earth next February, flying aboard a Crew Dragon spacecraft scheduled to launch with just two astronauts later this month.

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 01:26 AM
link   
IT'S JUST THE SPACE WHALES.

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 04:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Mantiss2021

Well, the Apollo 1 tragedy was a result of not just an electrical issue but also the fact that the command module was filled with pure oxygen also which worked as an accelerant. Starliner isn't the same in this regard. Plus, there are fire suppression systems on Starliner which are more effective than those back in '67. Lastly, they would isolate (lock out) Starliner from the ISS and starve it for oxygen in the event of a fire.

Still, I agree with you. There is no point in keeping Starliner docked with the ISS at this point. NASA and Boeing are just trying to save face. The decision has already been made to bring Starliner back uncrewed (IF it is able to make it back...which I doubt, but we'll see). So, there's not really any point in keeping Starliner docked with the ISS. If they want to keep it in orbit, NASA could still do this without it being attached to the ISS. Yes, it's more convenient, but it's also an unnecessary risk to the ISS and all of its crew.

Starliner (and NASA to a lesser extent) has really underscored just how far down greed and DEI has brought American technological prowess. Space X, on the other hand, has clearly demonstrated what can be possible without all the bureaucracy and top-heavy corporate and government bloat.

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 04:39 AM
link   

Not until freakin' February!

Now SpaceX is saying not until late spring. Looks like the mission that was supposed to be something like 8 days has turned into a year.

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 05:48 AM
link   

A few days ago, I watched a UT vid about the first Chinese manned flight into space. A single man was sent up for a few days of orbiting. While there in the supposed silence of space among the many electrical and mechanical functions of his craft, he started to hear a repeated sound of a loud banging as if a hammer was being hit on the exterior. Over the course of the flight, neither he nor ground control could determine the cause of the banging that was very loud and unnerving. According to the story, after he had returned back to earth and a systematic search was made to the entire capsule, no reason could be determined for the repeated noise.

This video was on YT a couple of days ago, and I accidentally came across before this new twist to a space noise came to our attention. It should be easy to find. I was quietly and well presented with no exaggeration.

edit on 2-9-2024 by CosmicFocus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 06:35 AM
link   
a reply to: CosmicFocus

Good catch

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Not the first time astronauts heard odd sounds.

phys.org...

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 07:42 AM
link   
why was my post deleted? try again.

In the video go to 1:09
you can hear the sound jump.
this is from when you loop a sound.
if you have ever done this you will recognise it.

Its a Fake sound clip some one made.

Even Fox news has this!
why are they Pushing NASA astronaut
stuck in space so much?

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 07:54 AM
link   

a reply to: BeyondKnowledge3

If Kubrick hadn't been murdered, maybe he would make a new movie called:

DEI: A Space Odyssey

Correction - DEI: A Spayse Oddasee, Bruh!

edit on 9/2/2024 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 08:35 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Ni9htTimeReader

I had to watch a commercial to see that vid!

WELCOME TO ATS!

How to embed YOUTUBE videos on ATS

A place to practice linking and embedding

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

A story: How I got from your clip to the UK's most famous advertisement, a clip of a boy pushing a bike up Gold Hill in Shaftesbury (aka. the interwebz)

Can you guess how??? (don't peek below)

Answer - Outtake from the movie Alien (your post link)-->to-->"Alien" director, Ridley Scott-->to-->Early life, Ridley Scott-->to-->1st directed work, Ridley Scott-->to-->1973 Hovis bread advert-->to-->"Boy on a Bike"

edit on 9/2/2024 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2024 @ 12:06 PM
link   
It's the Clangers. Obviously:

m.youtube.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join