It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I think I just got trolled.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2024 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Hope the mods let the short intro go. Anything more would be a spoiler alert. The video made me laugh and smile.

Can You Hear The Difference Between Cheap And Expensive Pianos? (N. 3)

posted on Aug, 28 2024 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I laughed as well,
Once we got to the first Yamaha they were basically the same to me.
We own a 150 year old player and it sounds pretty good in the right hands.
Not my hands but the right hands, LOL.

a reply to: Lazy88

posted on Aug, 28 2024 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I, too, laughed.

I have started learning to tune pianos.

Learning their history is fascinating.

I do wonder about the different adjustments each has for changing various key mechanics. I have definitely learned that you get what you pay for, though.

Durability is really what you are paying for in my mind.

posted on Aug, 28 2024 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Has he got shares in Yamaha?

What happened to Steinway?
Also, you can't compare uprights to grand pianos.
Although my mum had an upright Chanel..... not the handbag.... which was an upright baby grand piano and sounded like one too.
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Aug, 28 2024 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Our old piano, which I picked up around thirty five years ago used for thirty bucks I think, is still working fine. I tuned it up with instructions from the music store and the owner whom I knew came to visit a month after I got it and checked it out. He said I tuned it really well, except for one key which my key matches the professional concert pianos and not the general tuneups on regular pianos. Didn't know what he is talking about, but I did buy two real ivorys to match from him and he lent me the tuneing fork. Evidently I can tune a piano, just can't play it. It is still in decent shape and pretty much in tune. The daughter learned to ply it, same with the granddaughter, now we are going to have the great granddaughter play it.

I guess it isn't worth much more than we paid for it, it may be over a hundred ten years old, but they give pianos away on marketplace around here in the U.P quite often. Talk about heavy though,

Around that same time I could have got a grand piano for two hundred bucks. But I guess you need special stuff to move those, and they would need to be professionally tuned. It was newer and in better shape varnish wise, but those full grand potatoes take up the whole room in a house.

Had to leave that potato mistake in the last paragraph.....Potato/piano...it's almost the same color

posted on Aug, 28 2024 @ 12:46 PM
link   

The $600.00 piano sounded the best to me.

But I'm deaf in one ear and can't hear out of the other...

posted on Aug, 28 2024 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: angelchemuel
Has he got shares in Yamaha?

What happened to Steinway?
Also, you can't compare uprights to grand pianos.
Although my mum had an upright Chanel..... not the handbag.... which was an upright baby grand piano and sounded like one too.
Rainbows
Jane

Our piano is an upright Grinnell Bros Concert Grand piano. I don't have a clue what that means...sounds like a piano to me.

posted on Aug, 28 2024 @ 01:10 PM
link   
It’s weird to think of a piano as a string instrument, but it is. It’s a giant guitar sideways, in a box, with a mechanical button to strike the pick on the string.

posted on Aug, 28 2024 @ 01:11 PM
link   
My aunt bought a baby Grand in the late 1950's for $10,000. She either got snookered or her granddaughter inherited a gold mine.

My aunt never even learened to play it....

posted on Aug, 28 2024 @ 03:58 PM
link   

I sincerely expected Rick Astley to make an appearance somewhere near the end.

posted on Aug, 28 2024 @ 05:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Around that same time I could have got a grand piano for two hundred bucks. But I guess you need special stuff to move those, and they would need to be professionally tuned. It was newer and in better shape varnish wise, but those full grand potatoes take up the whole room in a house.

Also don't they need to be regularly tuned, multiple times in the first year if it hasn't been tuned in a while?

Might be worth it if one was a professional musician or a serious hobbyist. But to dedicate a whole room to something that needs regular care? No so much.

If it's just to have, or to help the kids/grandkids learn skills away from the Internet, a low-cost upright works good enough for that.
edit on 28-8-2024 by gb540 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2024 @ 06:47 PM
link   

From the first piano to the second, the difference was very noticable. And I could tell the difference between the 'cheap' grand pianos and the mega expensive one. Not much beyond that.

posted on Aug, 28 2024 @ 06:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: NightFlight

The $600.00 piano sounded the best to me.

But I'm deaf in one ear and can't hear out of the other...
I agree , the second piano was probably the best one

posted on Aug, 28 2024 @ 07:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: gb540

originally posted by: rickymouse

Also don't they need to be regularly tuned, multiple times in the first year if it hasn't been tuned in a while?

Might be worth it if one was a professional musician or a serious hobbyist. But to dedicate a whole room to something that needs regular care? No so much.

If it's just to have, or to help the kids/grandkids learn skills away from the Internet, a low-cost upright works good enough for that.
One thing people don’t think about is humidity…mid 70%. Your good pianos have humidifiers.

I literally water my pianos at work.

I am blessed with Steinway pianos at most of my venues.

posted on Aug, 28 2024 @ 08:51 PM
link   
According to the guy at the music store, that piano would have to be tuned by only a couple of guys around here, and he said it needed to be kept in a humidity controlled environment, not too dry and not too damp. It definitely needed to be tuned up too, We figured if we got bar stools in the dining room it could be used as the table, but it was in nice shape and we would have hated to spill a drink on it. Not practical for us so I passed on that. A grand piano is pretty much bigger than a baby grand. The reason the people were getting rid of it is because they were moving and did not want to pay to have it moved and tuned.

My granddaughter and her husband got a baby grand in nice shape for a hundred bucks...in their small house. They sold it to her husband's parents, for the hundred bucks...they actually had movers haul it to their house, it cost three hundred to move it that way. And they had to tune it up when it got to their house.

When the granddaughter got it they hauled it in a pickup truck...it didn't get scratched, but it did have a few sticky keys from that move, but I guess the guy who tuned it up for her inlaws knew how to fix that in the tuneup and it did work well when tuned. They sold their house a year later, the baby grand went with the house.

posted on Aug, 28 2024 @ 11:34 PM
link   

All of them have their own unique voices and he's a really talented person!

Wow!

NEAT!

edit on 8/28/24 by GENERAL EYES because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2024 @ 03:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: GENERAL EYES

All of them have their own unique voices and he's a really talented person!

Wow!

NEAT!

That's wht I heard too and really enjoyed his playing! The second was also my favorite.

posted on Aug, 29 2024 @ 09:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: AwakeNotWoke

I sincerely expected Rick Astley to make an appearance somewhere near the end.

Thanks. I now have a Rick Astley earworm....

posted on Aug, 29 2024 @ 08:17 PM
link   
a reply to: nugget1

Yeah the second one had a warmth to her and a deeper alto.

I liked her too.

posted on Aug, 31 2024 @ 08:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Oldcarpy2

isn't it ROMANTIC?

top topics

join