It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cannabis Revealed to Have Anti-Aging Effect in The Brains of Mice

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Aug, 26 2024 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Scientists have discovered mice who chill with a joint of an evening have brains that age slower than fuddy-duddy straight mice and that THC has an age reversing effect on and promotes better function in their brains.

What's more, the team from Germany and Israel was able to observe how the anti-aging effects were taking place: through a signalling pathway involving the mTOR protein, which is associated with the healthy regulation of cell metabolism, and from there the metabolome (the overall composition of small molecules in the body).

"We have now been able to show that treatment with THC has a tissue-dependent and dual effect on mTOR signaling and the metabolome," says molecular biologist Andras Bilkei-Gorzo from the University of Bonn in Germany.

Some of the same researchers had previously found that low doses of cannabis could improve memory and learning capabilities in aging mice, suggesting that there might be a relationship between THC and cognition worth exploring.

In this study, two groups of mice were used: young mice around four months old, and an older group around 18 months old. Some mice in each age group received a daily low dose of THC across a period of 28 days, and the effects were compared to age-matched controls.

The mice treated with THC showed a boost in mTOR activity in the brain and the production of more of the proteins necessary to form new synapses between neurons – which helps with almost every aspect of brain function.

What's more, mTOR activity in fat tissue dropped in the same way that it does with a calorie-controlled diet: In other words, the body starts to dial down some of its production processes in ways that have previously been shown to slow down biological aging too.

"We concluded that long-term THC treatment initially has a cognition-enhancing effect by increasing energy and synaptic protein production in the brain, followed by an anti-aging effect by decreasing mTOR activity and metabolic processes in the periphery," says Bilkei-Gorzo.
www.sciencealert.com...

edit on 26-8-2024 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2024 @ 09:42 AM
link   
I guess that explains why I am locked at brain the age of 16.

How fast are we aging man? Your pulled over….

a reply to: gortex

posted on Aug, 26 2024 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Athetos

How fast are we aging man?

Scarily fast , seems my brain is OK though.

posted on Aug, 26 2024 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I guess its time for another doobie....

Now, where did I put my stash?

posted on Aug, 26 2024 @ 10:26 AM
link   
(Sparkin one up) Well obviously (with a slow exhale of smoke)

S&F

posted on Aug, 26 2024 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I can't see too well is that Bill Shakespeare over there? I heard they weren't using their papers to write about mTOR activity but were rolling doobies.
edit on 26-8-2024 by SomeStupidName because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2024 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Is there anything weed can't do?🙄

posted on Aug, 26 2024 @ 10:50 AM
link   
That's all we need, a bunch of teenagers running the world in the future. When the brain gets full of information and memory neurons, it gets older, it takes way more time to sort through information in a set of encyclopedias than to memorize comic books. All the extra neurons produced are actually causing it to age. Don't worry, that plasticity can be restored by drinking water from plastic bottles

posted on Aug, 26 2024 @ 10:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
Scientists have discovered mice who chill with a joint of an evening have brains that age slower than fuddy-duddy straight mice and that THC has an age reversing effect on and promotes better function in their brains.

What's more, the team from Germany and Israel was able to observe how the anti-aging effects were taking place: through a signalling pathway involving the mTOR protein, which is associated with the healthy regulation of cell metabolism, and from there the metabolome (the overall composition of small molecules in the body).

"We have now been able to show that treatment with THC has a tissue-dependent and dual effect on mTOR signaling and the metabolome," says molecular biologist Andras Bilkei-Gorzo from the University of Bonn in Germany.

Some of the same researchers had previously found that low doses of cannabis could improve memory and learning capabilities in aging mice, suggesting that there might be a relationship between THC and cognition worth exploring.

In this study, two groups of mice were used: young mice around four months old, and an older group around 18 months old. Some mice in each age group received a daily low dose of THC across a period of 28 days, and the effects were compared to age-matched controls.

The mice treated with THC showed a boost in mTOR activity in the brain and the production of more of the proteins necessary to form new synapses between neurons – which helps with almost every aspect of brain function.

What's more, mTOR activity in fat tissue dropped in the same way that it does with a calorie-controlled diet: In other words, the body starts to dial down some of its production processes in ways that have previously been shown to slow down biological aging too.

"We concluded that long-term THC treatment initially has a cognition-enhancing effect by increasing energy and synaptic protein production in the brain, followed by an anti-aging effect by decreasing mTOR activity and metabolic processes in the periphery," says Bilkei-Gorzo.
www.sciencealert.com...

Hey, that picture of a mouse smoking a joint looks like I did back in the seventies.

posted on Aug, 26 2024 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
That's all we need, a bunch of teenagers running the world in the future. When the brain gets full of information and memory neurons, it gets older, it takes way more time to sort through information in a set of encyclopedias than to memorize comic books. All the extra neurons produced are actually causing it to age. Don't worry, that plasticity can be restored by drinking water from plastic bottles

Just watch idiocracy. It's both where were are heading, and what plants crave.

posted on Aug, 26 2024 @ 03:04 PM
link   
That explains why I feel like I'm getting sharper as I age.

posted on Aug, 26 2024 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Makes sense. Most people who smoke it still act like children. Not all, but most.

posted on Aug, 26 2024 @ 04:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

Makes sense. Most people who smoke it still act like children. Not all, but most.

Hey, I'll take new synapses!

If that makes me act like a kid, that's just boners. I mean bonus.

posted on Aug, 26 2024 @ 06:27 PM
link   
From my own experience(I used to smoke weed many years ago) the OP is something I relate to in a funny way.

I'm a working musician, I spend a lot of time with the other people in my band, on the road, hotels, airports etc.

Our main drummer is a weed fiend, and I tell you for a guy his age(50-ish) he is the most childish grown up I know, like he is a 14 year old in a middle aged man's body. And as far as I know he's smoked weed most of his life, so I guess he proves the OP's argument.

We were in the middle of nowhere late one night, on the road and on the way home from a gig, the moon was full and bright, my drummer friend looked at the moon and turned to me "We've been up there right?" he asked, I nodded in the affirmative(I used to come on to ATS specifically to argue that point many years ago, don't hate me), he looked back at the moon as we drove through the night, "if a spaceman stands on the bottom" he pointed towards the lower part of the moon, "how come he doesn't fall off?"

posted on Aug, 26 2024 @ 10:35 PM
link   

You only have to look at a person with Parkinson's pre joint then after to realize that for that condition alone it should be compulsory.

edit on pm820248America/Chicago831373124 by annonentity because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2024 @ 11:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

I'd bet good money that it's just the laughter that smoking weed causes that's doing it.

There was a woman with inoperable brain cancer whose husband had her watch comedy shows every day for a month to cheer her up.

Her tumor shrunk.

Laughter is the best medicine.

I wish I could find that article again.
edit on 8262024 by GotterDameron23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2024 @ 03:10 AM
link   

thats pretty far out man
as for aging and the age of things
I think I remember reading that the endocannabinoid system in our brains is actually older than the cannabis plant
which i thought was puzzling.

i personally believe that humans are meant to consume cannabis as part of our dietary requirement the Endocannabinoid
system plays a role in a lot of our bodily goings on

from memory , appetite, sleep regulation, energy balance and metabolism and probably more we have yet to discover

posted on Aug, 27 2024 @ 03:14 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse
i think you will find its the adults that make the place a # show for everyone else

posted on Aug, 27 2024 @ 03:12 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 27 2024 @ 05:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: McTech2
I guess its time for another doobie....

Now, where did I put my stash?

Winners don’t lose drugs.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join