It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nanny State UK - Mobile Phone Provider and under 11 year olds

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2024 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Education and Media as it seemed fitting.

So, EE in the UK has seen fit to suggest Parents don't give mobile phones to under 11s.

As much as I agree with this, surely it should be driven by the Parents of the the little Johnny and Janes and no a company that helpfully has a new handset aimed at just such a demographic.

"EE said under-11s should be given phones that can be used to text and make calls, but without access to the internet or social media apps like TikTok and Youtube.

The firm, which is marketing a phone with limited capabilities for children, suggests parents use apps and settings to monitor older children's internet usage."

Call me old fashioned but this marketing spiel leaves me cold.

EE UK uner 11 Phones

posted on Aug, 25 2024 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Cymru

Modern smart phones have parental settings that can be customized for the safety of your child.

There is no app that can substitute for being a good parent. If you suck at raising your kids there is no technology on earth that will suddenly make you great at raising your kids, except maybe books. Read more books.

edit on 25-8-2024 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2024 @ 01:20 PM
link   

As much as I agree with this, surely it should be driven by the Parents of the the little Johnny and Janes and no a company that helpfully has a new handset aimed at just such a demographic.

I agree too we have enough phone zombies as it is , EE are providing an option for something that has been a concern for a while I think this is to let parents who see the problem know there is an answer.

posted on Aug, 25 2024 @ 01:37 PM
link   

In the US, where school and mass shootings have become much more common, mobile phones have, sadly, provided the last chance for communication between parents and their children.

Our world.

posted on Aug, 25 2024 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mantiss2021

In the US, where school and mass shootings have become much more common, mobile phones have, sadly, provided the last chance for communication between parents and their children.

Our world.

You make it sound like shootings happen every day in those gun free zones. Funny how that works out.

About the under 11 phones, they have to get them hooked on phones sooner. They are just expanding the market. I wonder how hard it is to track those phones for bad reasons. Parents providing tracking assistance for pedos.

My new tablet has all those kid protection things already in it. I just skipped all those because there are no kids using it.

posted on Aug, 25 2024 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Where does the state come into it?

posted on Aug, 25 2024 @ 06:51 PM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

or get the kid a phone that has real buttons, can still text, and not app capable. Think its impossible to find? I have gone through four this year already, $20 a pop.
Whatever settings you believe you can do to block content from your kids smart phone, their friends will help them unlock it, and make it look like it still has the right settings.

Remember they have audio manager apps that look like simple sound settings until you press a specific combination and enter a passcode. Then, voila... hundreds and hundreds of hidden pictures, videos, and contacts.

There is no reason a child needs a portal to ALL of human depravity, evil, and malice in their hand/pocket all day. Did you have one as a child? Did you die without it? It is the devices that are making our kids so dependent and unskilled! I cannot believe how many young adults are entering the workforce barely knowing how to use hand tools FFS ... like simple screwdrivers and locking pliers. I have been seeing 20 year old taking minutes to unscrew one screw.

posted on Aug, 25 2024 @ 10:53 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

Is that why I see adds for some screw puzzle games that use crowbars instead of screwdrivers to remove the screws? I wondered about that.

As far as I am concerned, changing a tire and checking fluid levels should be part of the test for getting a driver's license. A lot of drivers don't know how to do ether.

posted on Aug, 26 2024 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Sorry, Pandoras out of the box. You may not like it but it's the same as anything kids want, parents stop them they'll get it from somewhere else. No matter what IT is. Now whoever or whatever someone supplies them with, that is the problem. But just stopping the legal supplier does not solve the problem. And please don't go on about " but these are only young children" BS, they lie and cheat just like adults.

posted on Aug, 27 2024 @ 03:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: BeyondKnowledge3

originally posted by: Mantiss2021

Our world.

You make it sound like shootings happen every day in those gun free zones. Funny how that works out.

About the under 11 phones, they have to get them hooked on phones sooner. They are just expanding the market. I wonder how hard it is to track those phones for bad reasons. Parents providing tracking assistance for pedos.

My new tablet has all those kid protection things already in it. I just skipped all those because there are no kids using it.

According to data from organizations such as the Gun Violence Archive and the Center for Homeland Defense and Security, there have been hundreds of incidents involving gunfire on school grounds each year. In 2022 there were over 50 incidents of gunfire at K-12 schools, including fatal and non-fatal shootings.

top topics

join