It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's your favorite comic strip or comic?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2024 @ 08:26 AM
link   
What's your guys favorite comics or comic strip?

Mine are Peanuts, Garfield, and The Far Side

I used to always read Doonesbury as a kid and never understand wtf those comic strip were about.

I also liked Archie but Archie wasn't in the newspaper I just got Archie books from the library. *nerd*

posted on Aug, 25 2024 @ 08:28 AM
link   
right now, Pearls Before Swine. a bit edgy sometimes.

back in the day, Calvin and Hobbes. I have all the books.

BC was great
I had a bunch of Pogo books. got rid of them. wish I hadn't.

Peanuts is classic.

posted on Aug, 25 2024 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Shoshanna
I love the far side too!
My favorite comic when I was a kid was 2000AD,a UK comic which invented Judge Dredd among many others.
Slaine was the story I liked the best,about a celtic berzerker-the artwork and stories were great.

You can still buy them today in complete tomes.
I totally recommend : Slaine:The Horned God and Slaine:Book of invasions vol 1-3

posted on Aug, 25 2024 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Punisher unlimited series vol. 1 issue #2

This has artwork by Klaus Jason. His sketchy style really fits the subject matter. He is probably best known for inking Frank Millers pencils on the Dark Night Returns. I feel like he is overlooked when it comes to the success of that book.

I like how the punisher goes to this place in s America and is basically undercover so he can't bring his outfit but when things hit the fan he gets a kevlar vest and spray paints the skull on.

When dude with a big skull on his chest is coming after you it is scary as heck.

I was more In to realistic stuff so this began my entry into the marvel universe as the punisher met up with daredevil quite a bit and he was originally a Spider-Man villain.

I was so upset when they stole my punisher artist and put them on X-Men. Jim Lee doing the punisher war journal blew my mind. And wilce portacio was another one who's gritty art style fit the punisher perfectly but the mutants stole them.

But I still got to enjoy their art as by that time I was reading x men as well.

Anyway. If I had to pick one book for me this is it. Got me hooked on the medium for life.

posted on Aug, 25 2024 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: onestonemonkey

I loved 2000AD.

Tharg with the crystal in his forehead.
I remember Judge Dredd alright, cant really remember much else though.

For cartoon it had to be The Pink Panther, mainly because of this car at the start of the program.

It actually drove, what a car.

posted on Aug, 25 2024 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Family Circus, Dennis the Menace and Marmaduke as a kid.

posted on Aug, 25 2024 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Calvin & Hobbes all time. Garfield when I was a kid. I still have all the Garfield books. Also like FoxTrot.

posted on Aug, 25 2024 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Zippy the Pinhead is pretty good

👍

posted on Aug, 25 2024 @ 11:37 AM
link   
My favorite is the snarky Crabby Road, which my friends and family have long said was written about me.

posted on Aug, 25 2024 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I'll read pretty much anything by R. Crumb.

posted on Aug, 25 2024 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Spike and Suzy ( Suske en Wiske ) Kuifje ( Tin Tin )

When i was a teen i really enjoyed Storm and the Rise and fall of Trigian Empire.

posted on Aug, 25 2024 @ 01:32 PM
link   

From GAHAN WILSON, A RETROSPECTIVE.

Back in the day I saw his work mostly in Playboy magazine. Just for the fiction writing, of course. Some up and coming authors premiered there.

Any way, later I very much enjoyed The Far Side too. It had a familiar feel to the humor. I've still got one of Gary Larson's books kicking around.

As far as comics series go, I bought several Conan the Barbarian comics in the 70s. I had already read all the Robert Howard books. I thought Conan was a decent role model, last man standing after a massive brutal battle sort of guy. Oh well, childhood fantasy and all **sigh**
edit on 25-8-2024 by FullHeathen because: (no reason given)

Edit to Add:
After strolling down memory lane, the Wilson cartoon that had the greatest impact on me was At the tone, the time will be fifty-nine minutes and fifty seconds after seven.

I hope the link works, I don't feel like paying $30 to post it one time.
edit on 25-8-2024 by FullHeathen because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2024 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Art Spiegelman has done some interesting stuff including the original garbage pail kids

But he also did probably the best comic book made to date. Maus should be required reading.

I think it's also the only comic to win the Pulitzer prize. Don't let the animal people on the cover fool you. This is a meticulously crafted book.

posted on Aug, 25 2024 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Milk and Cheese. Dairy products gone bad.

posted on Aug, 25 2024 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Dr Fun

posted on Aug, 27 2024 @ 04:19 AM
link   
a reply to: 5thHead

Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssss.....Evan Dorkin for the win!

top topics

join