It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MIT’s Black student enrollment drops significantly after Supreme Court affirmative action ruling

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2024 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Dispite having access to applicants racial and ethnic backgrounds through application materials, like essays and personal statements, the administrations staff at MIT have chosen a significant fewer black and Latino students to attend MIT this school year. This drop in acceptance follows a ruling by the Supreme Court that basing acceptance on race to be unconstitutional.

MIT’s Black student enrollment drops significantly after Supreme Court affirmative action ruling

Enrollment for Black and Latino students dropped at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in the first class formed after the Supreme Court found race-conscience admissions in colleges unconstitutional.

About 5% of MIT’s incoming class of 2028 is Black, a significant drop from its 13% average in recent years. Latino students make up 11% of the class of 2028, compared to a 15% average in recent years.

Although the ruling bars schools from using race as a factor in admissions, prospective students can still share their racial or ethnic backgrounds through application materials, like essays and personal statements, and through their extracurricular activities.

Officials with MIT’s admissions department did not immediately respond to a request for comment from NBC News.

In the wake of the decision, MIT said it expanded its recruitment and financial aid initiatives that prioritized low-income students from all backgrounds.

link

Are the admissions staff at MIT more racist then once assumed; now that they are no longer required to fill a quota based on race and ethnicity are they rejecting students based on their personal bigotries?

With out more data I would have to give the MIT staff the benefit of the dought and not assume the worst. So what other factors could be contributing to the drop in Black and Latino acceptance at MIT?

Is the Biden/Harris administration economy to blame? Are Black and Latino families finding the costs of college further out of reach than in past years?

Has the education system gotten worse in the last few years in the Black and Latino communities causing the population to be less qualified for acceptance to universities such as MIT?

posted on Aug, 21 2024 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Are the admissions staff at MIT more racist then once assumed; now that they are no longer required to fill a quota based on race and ethnicity are they rejecting students based on their personal bigotries?

Dude, *scratches head* I must be missing something cuz:
Aren't they are being forced to be LESS racist...because their days of lowering the bar for admissions based on skin color....is slowly coming to an end? (Not that I knew that they (MIT) were doing this in the first place, cant say im surprised tho) But.....it sounds to me like they were admitting certain numbers of people (which means they were excluding certain numbers of people as well) based on skin color, which could be viewed in itself...as racist, and that practice has been ruled against by the supreme court so now its ending.

Were they legit "lowering the bar", and now they have stopped? If so, then that answers your last question in your post :

Has the education system gotten worse in the last few years in the Black and Latino communities causing the population to be less qualified for acceptance to universities such as MIT?

If they were "lowering the bar" so to speak, and perhaps letting people with certain skin colors be admitted with lower test scores, gpa's, credentials...etc...and that suddenly stopped(conveniently after supreme court ruling)...and then attendance of certain skin colors suddenly stopped, id say maybe the answer is obvious. That perhaps there just isnt that many people of "said skin color" applying because they dont have the higher credentials and scores taht are required.

Im white, I could have applied to MIT, i wanted to, and I maybe I would have what it takes to pass the tests to get accepted. But if they give somebody with a different skin color, an easier test than me....or less pre-requisets (spelling) than me...making it easier for them to get in, (but harder for me, because im white). That....would be terrible, so im glad for the supreme court ruling (unless Im misunderstanding something here).

But: I find race-conscious admissions....slightly racist in my opinion. Because it goes down the line of hiring and admitting based on skin color, and not on merit or skill.

THis excerpt from the article:
"In the wake of the decision, MIT said it expanded its recruitment and financial aid initiatives that prioritized low-income students from all backgrounds."
Now thats cool! Help for people who are less fortunate who need financial aid (BUT STILL HAVE THE MERIT, SKILLS, AND SCORES TO APPLY), totally understandable solution, and hey, its not racist
win win

posted on Aug, 21 2024 @ 09:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Dandandat3

I don’t get it.
Blacks are about 13% of the population.
When you consider the amount of black people in the age range which people enter college, then you’re now looking at a tiny amount of people by percentage.
They’re getting in at a 5% clip.
Impressive.
That seems like overachieving to me.
Meritocracy works if you let it.
Affirmative action is bad for everybody, especially black people.

posted on Aug, 21 2024 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Being forced to take more blacks over whites is not right either. If they are a good college, and want the brightest students, they need to select the brightest from every race. Forcing them to choose more blacks when their scores are not as good as white people is racist too.

Same with work, you choose from the people who you feel will do the best job, not focus on choosing from someone of a different race just because of their color. If there are qualified blacks, hire them, but if you have to choose a certain number of blacks and your selection of black applicants do not meet the standard for the job, then why should you have to hire them. Again, if a good match for the job is there an employer would not be limited to exceeding the required percentage of black people they employ, same goes for the colleges.

There are some very intelligent black people and there are really good black workers too, but having to pick from the ones that are not qualified just because they are the only ones that applied because of a government requirement is not fair either.

I don't know how the Applicants to MIT were, if they were good or if they were not. That decision is made by the people who vet the students. they see the scores and can determine if they are qualified. I can see requirements for taking select poor people who qualify with minimum standards is good, but color should not be a deciding factor to have to take ones that do not meet their requirements. Again, yes there are a lot of intelligent blacks out there, but did those smart ones apply at MIT? I do not know.

With the evidence I saw I cannot make a judgement on this, Just because some people believe that all blacks are to be in consideration does not mean that is right or what the college wants. They want a high placement in good employment for their students so the best people will apply because there is a high desire from employers for their students.

There are other colleges that are good too. I personally would not want to go to MIT because there are a lot of rich kids there and US families. They do have some scholarships for qualified low income students too, but again they are looking for those who will succeed...the low income students must be smart and teachable.

posted on Aug, 21 2024 @ 10:42 PM
link   
So things are getting back to normal merit and IQ based qualifications. 😀

posted on Aug, 22 2024 @ 04:53 AM
link   

This has probably something to do with it...

a ruling by the Supreme Court that basing acceptance on race to be unconstitutional.

Took them long enough

Still waiting for that same ruling on gender, but I won't hold my breath...
edit on 22-8-2024 by Terpene because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2024 @ 05:42 AM
link   
There's a simple way to look at this:

You want the best chance at getting ...say a surgeon for your child's tumor. You don't want anything but the best.

This is a Venn diagram problem, but I will try and illustrate with words.

When that surgeon was going to school, lets say there were 1000 applicants (50/50 male-female, and cross section of representative races), but capability is agnostic to any demographic (nobody is inherently better). You can choose 10 to go to med school -- assume there are 10 really good candidates and the rest start to drop off in quality.

Using estimates of merit alone, you have nearly 100% chance of getting those 10 into med school.
Let's say you decide female gets more priority. Now you have 50% chance of getting those top 10.
Let's say you give blacks a priority. Now you have .13 *10 (you might get 1 or 2 of the best candidates.

Now lets flip the script:

Lets say you give white males priority. Now you have 0.3 * 10 (you might get 3 of the 10 best candidates)

You see, no matter what you do, even favoring whites, anything besides a merit-based decision gets you a lower chance of moving those 10 best candidates on to med school. Now I realize I made the prioritization absolute, but even a tiny boost (say 10%) still reduces your chances of getting the best candidates.

Any demographic-based prioritization whatsoever reduces your chances. You want the best surgeon removing your kids tumor, right? You want the best engineer, right? You want the best nurse treating your sick mom, right?

posted on Aug, 22 2024 @ 10:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Terpene

This has probably something to do with it...

a ruling by the Supreme Court that basing acceptance on race to be unconstitutional.

Took them long enough

Still waiting for that same ruling on gender, but I won't hold my breath...

You do realize that women attend and graduate college at a considerably higher rate than men, right?

www.statista.com... ollment-in-us-by-gender/

posted on Aug, 22 2024 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Can't really make a conclusion without more data. The lawsuit in question was predicated on Asian students losing out on slots because of Affirmative Action. So, are more Asian students being enrolled? Or are they just enrolling more white kids?

posted on Aug, 22 2024 @ 11:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
So things are getting back to normal merit and IQ based qualifications. 😀

Which is a good thing to be celebrated.

posted on Aug, 22 2024 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Absolutely as expected.

www.reuters.com...

This year's freshman class at MIT is 5% Black, 1% American Indian/Alaskan Native, 11% Hispanic and 0% Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander. It is 47% Asian American and 37% white. (Some students identified as more than one racial group).

the past four years of incoming freshmen were a combined 13% Black, 2% American Indian/Alaskan Native, 15% Hispanic and 1% Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander. The previous four classes were 41% Asian American and 38% white.

Let's Go! *clap clap* Chinese and Korean Student Visas!

Same thing happened at UCSD this year. Now there's even more Mandarin speaking rich kids with upper class CCP money to pay for their $4,000/month apartment in University City.

While White, Black, Latino, Native Americans lost average percentage at all schools with a low acceptance rate, the Asians took them in no time. A few hard to get into schools saw gains in a group other than Asian, but not very many. What happened at MIT, happened everywhere.

The Supreme Court said "best applicant."

你好, 更合格的中国学生!
(Nǐ hǎo, gèng hégé de zhōngguó xuéshēng!)
edit on 22-8-2024 by Degradation33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2024 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Degradation33

I know it's raycist to say that Asian kids are smarter, but the data that backs that up is in the upbringing and moral value system. They largely value education as a key factor in success. If the schools are taking applicants based on meritocracy, and more of one demographic is chosen over others, then it would only solidify that raycist trope. (it's not raycist if it's factualy true)

I see this is a positive move. An exit from clown world, we need much more of this.

posted on Aug, 22 2024 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Says "Asian American". Maybe they're U.S. Citizens. We know from the court cases most that were discriminated against are Americans. 😀

posted on Aug, 22 2024 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Maybe it will light a fire for every other group to change their educational values and not get left behind the Asian-Americans?

This is a horribly racist topic, but I've been told by black people I'm allowed to say this and not be racist.

Black people in some way still live in opposition to Uncle Tom's Cabin. The anti-assimilation view that literally led to a dialect of english with distinct differences in syntax and word use.

* Ebonics is a cultural opposition to proper english and a legitimate subdialect thereof. It has grammatical rules any other language does. Like dropping linking verbs following a subject pronoun. "She is at the store" becomes "She at the store." Or using "incorrect" pronouns and irregular verbs. Despite it sounding uneducated, it has legitimate rules. Very similar to differences in Northwestern Mexico Spanish vs. European Textbook Spanish.

And this is part of an anti-assimilation value system towards "white institutions." Which is more likely the reason for lagging behind other groups in test scores and educational values. Thank You Jim Crowe.

You can't really confront the racial discrepancies in education without confronting CRT.

Only other thing to argue is it's genetic inferiority. And I've seen too many feral children of all races to argue against cultural imprinting. Too much culture variance. Like comparing average Cambodian IQ to Japanese. Or why Barbados has a higher average IQ than the USA. Or why 47% Black Washington DC residents has a higher IQ than every state. It is how years of oppressive institutions can craft a lower educational standard and ability unless higher educational standards is part of the oppression.
edit on 22-8-2024 by Degradation33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2024 @ 08:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

I know it's raycist to say that Asian kids are smarter, but the data that backs that up is in the upbringing and moral value system. They largely value education as a key factor in success. If the schools are taking applicants based on meritocracy, and more of one demographic is chosen over others, then it would only solidify that raycist trope. (it's not raycist if it's factualy true)

I see this is a positive move. An exit from clown world, we need much more of this.

Raycism - A pigment of the (D)-magination.

top topics

join