It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anybody know this old computer game with a snake or something?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2024 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Ok so I have been out of the loop on computers for awhile. These may be the legit dumbest questions in the world but I want to chit chat so here we go

Be best!

Ok. When I was a kid my brother in law [long story] was like a computer guy. Like in the early 90s extreme computer nerd type and what I remember is we had some junk old 90s computer with one of those printers that had the paper with the holes on the side remember those? Anyways old computer think like maybe around 95 or earlier possibly slightly earlier. He and this is what I dont know and where my question is. He seemed to program a game onto that computer that was either called niblet or nibbler that was like a snake that you went around and ate these things and got longer and longer till eventually it was really hard not to run into yourself and die.

Does anybody remember that game or know what I'm talking about and how I can get this game I have tried looking on the internet archive and no luck yet.

Also im wondering because like I remember vaguely using this screen with I think its called a command prompt where its like C:/ or something and I found this screen SEEMINGLY on my computer but im wondering if im misremembering but I recall being able to program things like change the font color and other tricks like I swear there was something to put in there to make that nibbler game come up with the snake I was talking about earlier what all I can I do with that.

I am not at the computer right now and im drinking can you tell hehehehehehehe?!?!?!?!! But I did good for awhile its just gosh I am seriously considering making a big shift in direction in my life and I need the liquid courage honestly.

posted on Aug, 16 2024 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Snake. Dot matrix printer. Ms-dos.

a reply to: Shoshanna

posted on Aug, 16 2024 @ 02:03 PM
link   

was it one of these?

edit on 16-8-2024 by tarantulabite1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2024 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: tarantulabite1

Most similar to the nibbles one but I remember the colors being different maybe background lighter but not white. Sound was the exact same I wish the person didn't keep dying so we can see more game play hehe and also clarification on if those are indeed the sound effects because that is exactly what i remember soundwise. The name is also close to what I remember. The other person commented an ms dos is this a dos game or is this and again may be a dumb ass question but is this a game I can program myself easily and is this a game that would have launched using that screen with the C: prompt

posted on Aug, 16 2024 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Dalamax

Is it called snake im not sure i remember something like niblet or nibbler maybe nibbles like the game in the video the other person posted. Was it a dos game or was it something on the computer already I am not sure I remember no disc at all no floppy disc

posted on Aug, 16 2024 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Here you go. It was called Nibbles and was a QBasic game... You can play it directly in this emulator online.

www.retrogames.cz...

Have some nostalgic fun.

A version of this game is what made the early Nokia cellphones so popular, too.

edit on 16/8/2024 by Encia22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2024 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Now that I think about it Nibbler could be it.

I dont remember it being a built in game (like minesweeper) on any dos system I was exposed to.

Could well have been but I started puting with msdos on a floppy. Before that it was tape drive to play monte the mole
4 hours of waiting to play a computer game if the contraption was feeling genial 😂

Nibbles! Good times lol Encia22 your a super sleuth.

edit on 16-8-2024 by Dalamax because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-8-2024 by Dalamax because: Praise and homages

posted on Aug, 16 2024 @ 04:37 PM
link   
My first computer I bought used was an IBM system 32. It was donated to the school in Ishpeming, and I got two fully functional machines for fifty bucks. Lots of gold in those circuit boards. I still have a few circuit boards from one and I was told if I had taken all the stuff out of it there would be almost an ounce of gold total in all the connections. I scrapped the one, the case made a wonderful cabinet in the garage. Two guys could not lift that computer up the steps into the house.

In nineteen eighty six we got a commodore 128...the daughter still has that one at her house. She started working with comp uters when she was one year old sitting on my lap while I was trying to figure out how to access the info on the harddrive on the above system thirty two IBM, it was originally from Cahodas which was a company that bought, trucked, and distributed fruits and veggies around here. Lots of sale information was still on the computer. I was talking to the wife on the phone and the daughter was pressing on some keys and the little screen said emergency situation...dump in progress...everything got wiped out by her. This year, after working for over fifteen years with companies dealing with medical records and owning her own company to subcontract with them, she finally got a degree in Cyber security...to deter people from wiping out computer systems or hacking them...thirty nine years after she destroyed all the data on that computer, she got certified in computer security to protect others computers....I can say I can't really trust her from experience. Sure, she was only one year old when she did that, but I still don't trust her with my computer.

I have had computers for almost forty years, I used to like the pilot game/similator on the commodore. We paid almost sixteen hundred for that commodore when we got it, with an extra memory stick in it and a printer and color fourteen inch monitor...plus a few games and a modem which was created by a turtle I think. I used a computer for my business to do billing and record keeping and have had at least one continually since 86, they were not cheap and most people did not have computers back then. MY daughter makes a good income with computers and now with her experience and a degree, she can probably get a job in cyber security even at her present employer if there is an opening..which is about seventy percent more than she presently makes. But think about how much the government would take out in taxes if she is pulling in 150k a year.

It is my fault she is addicted to computers I suppose, she had no interest in taking over my company when I got disabled, but in reality, she makes more with what she does than I ever would make building houses and remodeling. I felt guilty if I charged to much for my work, I did not want to create financial hardship for people I worked for so I never got rich.

Enough rambling, just remember everything you do or don't do changes the reality we live in one way or another. I have trained a lot of people to work, they trained others to work sometimes. Knowledge is good if you share it, otherwise it dies when you die.

I don't remember any snake game on any of our computers...back on topic.

Had to edit to add, that system thirty two had a daisy wheel printer on it. When printing, it sounded like a tiny jet engine starting as the fans and daisy wheel started spinning.
edit on 16-8-2024 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2024 @ 06:27 PM
link   

It's called Snake, but like most games and softwares from the Dos Era, there were tons of clones made by amateur programmers.

Those were the days!

I'd really like to get myself an original Tron cabinet someday. Now there's a game I'll never forget.

edit on 16-8-2024 by AlroyFarms because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2024 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Yes, one can still bring up the "C: prompt" on windows systems. As mentioned, it what was used for MS-DOS commands before graphical interfaces like Windows became the standard.

Cheers

posted on Aug, 17 2024 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Snake io on cells phones is the first version I remember. It is still around.

Snake io

edit on 8/17/2024 by Dapaga because: added link

posted on Aug, 18 2024 @ 04:20 AM
link   

edit on 120000008824am18America/Chicago by sunnyade2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2024 @ 05:54 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse
Ah the nostalgia of it all. I remember my first computer was a Texas Instruments one, back in the early 80's, and it set me on the path of always having computers. I remember spending hours typing in games from magazine and being amazed at what it produced. From that I went to have the following
Commodore Vic 20
Spectrum ZX81
Commodore 64 (Even had the 1541 floppy drive)
ZX Spectrum 48k
Amiga 500
Amiga 1200
After those it was on to full PC's starting with a 486 with Windows 3.1 (6 floppy disks to install) then Win 95 with 26 disks!!!
50+ now and still playing games on the computers

The improvement from machine to machine back in the day was monumental compared to nowadays where there is just a small performance boost with each new CPU released.

As for the OP i remember the game the Op mentions but there were so many versions of it we all probably played different versions of it.

new topics

top topics

join