It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

On Geneva Conventions' 75th anniversary, fighters ignore rulebook of war

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2024 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Morally bankrupt jihadi terrorists and commies don't follow international rules of war, same as narco terrorists, all evil.

At its 75th anniversary, the world’s best-known rulebook on the protection of civilians, detainees and wounded soldiers in war has been widely ignored and its defenders are seeking a new commitment to international humanitarian law

GENEVA -- At its 75th anniversary, the world's best-known rulebook on the protection of civilians, detainees and wounded soldiers in war has been widely ignored — from Gaza to Syria to Ukraine to Myanmar and beyond — and its defenders are calling for a new commitment to international humanitarian law.

The Geneva Conventions, which have been adopted by nearly all the world's countries since they were finalized on Aug. 12, 1949, are back on their heels as armed militia groups and national forces regularly disregard the rules of war.

“International humanitarian law is under strain, disregarded, undermined to justify violence,” President Mirjana Spoljaric of the International Committee of the Red Cross, which oversees the conventions, said Monday.

“The world must recommit to this robust protective framework for armed conflict, one that follows the premise of protecting life instead of justifying death,” she said.

The conventions, with roots dating to the 19th century, aims to set rules around the conduct of war: they ban torture and sexual violence, require humane treatment of detainees and mandate searches for missing persons.

The conventions “reflect a global consensus that all wars have limits,” Spoljaric told reporters at ICRC headquarters in Geneva. “The dehumanization of both enemy fighters and civilian populations is a path to ruin and disaster.”

As a people we need to be stronger

World is full of weak men...

“Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

posted on Aug, 12 2024 @ 05:03 AM
link   
Doesn't 'All's fair in love and war." still apply to war?

englishintelligent.com...

I mean, really, just looking at the complexity of it all, any country can play dumb or twist it to their benefit.

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on q00000007831America/Chicago4646America/Chicago8 by quintessentone because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2024 @ 05:44 AM
link   
a reply to: ADVISOR

There’s no rules of war for those people. They’ll terrorize 24/7/365.

posted on Aug, 12 2024 @ 05:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: KrustyKrab

Or countries claiming alleged self-defense.

posted on Aug, 12 2024 @ 08:47 AM
link   
When I think of the Geneva Convention, it proves to me the NWO conspiracies.

You only follow the rules if you are playing the same game.

posted on Aug, 12 2024 @ 08:49 AM
link   
There's only one rule on war and that's "kill or be killed". Everything else is just for honourable countries to try and keep their killing justifiable and not just killing indiscriminately or as some terrorist do just for fun.

posted on Aug, 12 2024 @ 09:45 AM
link   
What's even more interesting is, "terrorists" do not get rights under Geneva. Only applies to civilian and uniformed combatants.

That's uni- formed not un-informed by the way, for those who read phonetically.

posted on Aug, 12 2024 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

It is trying to minimize the amount of unnecessary death and destruction in wars.

Ideally, no war crimes would ever take place ... but people being people, they do. Military structures with some adherence to ethics try to keep their troops reined in, but tempers run hot and blood runs cold on battlefields.

Cheers

posted on Aug, 12 2024 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Ummm...I know...just look at the hundreds and hundreds of thousands of civilians who perished in...Iraq...Afghanistan...

I could go on...and on...and on...

But I think you just might get the picture...

It's all about which ideology you support...and the amount of swill propaganda you're willing to swallow...for same...

Gotta step outside the box to see what's on the inside...

YouSir

posted on Aug, 12 2024 @ 11:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: YouSir

Ummm...I know...just look at the hundreds and hundreds of thousands of civilians who perished in...Iraq...Afghanistan...

It's all about which ideology you support...and the amount of swill propaganda you're willing to swallow...for same...

YouSir
War is ugly and it sucks, get a helmet

posted on Aug, 12 2024 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Isn’t this why the US got the Fed lawyers to bait and switch some words like “enemy combatant”, a couple decades or so ago, so our warfighters wouldn’t be held accountable?

Whereas words have meaning, seems this is pertinent here.

posted on Aug, 12 2024 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Morally bankrupt jihadi terrorists and commies don't follow international rules of war, same as narco terrorists, all evil.

It defeats their entire purpose and tactical advantage .

Terrorist by definition are War Criminals .

But at the end of the day my opinion on War is simple . It's kill or be killed .

posted on Aug, 12 2024 @ 11:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: asabuvsobelow

It defeats their entire purpose and tactical advantage .

Terrorist by definition are War Criminals .

But at the end of the day my opinion on War is simple . It's kill or be killed .
Fair enough.

However. May I posit that one man’s terrorist is another’s freedom fighter.

To be able to juxtapose that with say the US’ inclination to bomb a country into 21st century democracy and declare themselves the good guys seems odd, no?

posted on Aug, 12 2024 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: SteamyAmerican
Isn’t this why the US got the Fed lawyers to bait and switch some words like “enemy combatant”, a couple decades or so ago, so our warfighters wouldn’t be held accountable?

Whereas words have meaning, seems this is pertinent here.

It’s also why certain countries, United States, Russia, Israel, Qatar, Libya, Iraq and China don’t recognize the ICC. Not a fan of ICC but accountability is why the US won’t recognize them.

posted on Aug, 12 2024 @ 05:03 PM
link   
and Keep your Head Down.

originally posted by: YouSir

YouSir
War is ugly and it sucks, get a helmet

new topics

top topics

join