It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plane crash in Brazil with 62 people on board

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2024 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Passenger plane with 62 passengers and crew went down earlier in Brazil.

Pretty shocking footage of it going down in a flat spin all over the news right now.

No word on what caused the crash and it appears there were no survivors.

Looks like live channel coverage here...

Another video...

edit on 9-8-2024 by RazorV66 because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-8-2024 by RazorV66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2024 @ 02:11 PM
link   
There was a drop in speed of about 40 knots immediately preceding the spin. They were at 17,000 when it started.

posted on Aug, 9 2024 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: RazorV66

All lives matter and accidents DO happen. However, I wonder if there were any specific lives that were conveniently on board this flight. Just keeping it ATS.

RIP for the passengers and crew. Comfort and peace to their families and friends.

posted on Aug, 9 2024 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Interesting...in one video I saw someone was filming the cloud layer 15-20 seconds before the aircraft appeared out of the clouds. I wonder if they heard something and this is what caused them to turn their camera in that direction and azimuth. Another video I saw, from a different angle, did the same thing, but not quite as pronounced, still several seconds before the plane appeared below the cloud deck.

I wouldn't think people would just arbitrarily shoot video of an overcast sky for no reason...only to have a crashing plane suddenly appear.
edit on 8/9/2024 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2024 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I truly hope that the sudden drop in pressure rendered them all unconscious. I would hope to be if ever in that situation.😔

posted on Aug, 9 2024 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Looks to me like something happened before that point. Notice how the rate of descent rapidly increased right before the speed reduction at 12:21:03. Then at 12:21:27 you see a course change, the 40kt decrease and the descent rate goes up to -6,714 fpm.

posted on Aug, 9 2024 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Is the tail missing a rudder (or, what ever its called)?

One of the tail pieces looks to be missing, during the fall.

posted on Aug, 9 2024 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Slowing the spin video way down, it looks like the vertical and horizontal stabilizer/elevator are damaged. Can't be certain, but that's what it looks like. Could be a shadow, but doesn't look like it.

posted on Aug, 9 2024 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Looks like minimal forward speed, I’m wondering if a prop went into beta or reverse.

posted on Aug, 9 2024 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: SourGrapes

It's there, but something doesn't look right, that's for sure.

Looks to me like the vertical stabilizer is canted over to the left, and I don't see the right side of the horizontal stabilizer/elevator. Again, could just be a shadow or a blur.

Edit - Saw a different video (different angle), and both the vertical and horizontal stabs look 'okay'. Nothing conclusive.

edit on 8/9/2024 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2024 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: 38181

Both props appear to be turning. Obviously can't tell blade pitch though. However, if that were the case, you'd see a sharp decrease in airspeed before any significant rate of descent increase. Flight log shows the opposite; a sharp increase in rate of descent and only moderate slowing initially, nothing below stall speed. When the airspeed drops way off by 24 seconds later, I would interpret this as a steep dive. Flightaware flight logs measure ground speed (not air speed), thus my interpretation.

posted on Aug, 9 2024 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Looks like they may have been setting up for their descent. They were scheduled for landing in 22 minutes, and were 10 minutes out from their base leg turn.

posted on Aug, 9 2024 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I'm just surprised how many people suddenly looked up with their cellphones from all different angles. Doesn't seem to make sense...unless they heard something to make them look that way. I've seen no less than 15 different videos of the incident.

Granted, once the plane was in sight it would have been very unusual and scary, but before this why did they look?

posted on Aug, 9 2024 @ 05:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

There was severe icing reported from 12-20,000 feet in that area.

The engines sound really rough in all the videos I’ve seen. I suspect that’s what caught their attention.
edit on -18000pmp0520240958 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2024 @ 06:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

There was severe icing reported from 12-20,000 feet in that area.

The engines sound really rough in all the videos I’ve seen. I suspect that’s what caught their attention.

Ohh ATR-700, I thought it was a Q400.

Makes sense, ATR’s have a bad track record with icing.

My old joke about the ATR I’ll hold off.

Prayers to all of the families.

posted on Aug, 9 2024 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: RazorV66

May God rest their souls.

posted on Aug, 9 2024 @ 07:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
I'm just surprised how many people suddenly looked up with their cellphones from all different angles. Doesn't seem to make sense...unless they heard something to make them look that way. I've seen no less than 15 different videos of the incident.

Granted, once the plane was in sight it would have been very unusual and scary, but before this why did they look?

If only UFOs weren't so silent, we could possibly get the same coverage, amirite? Sneaky basta....

It's really hard these days to get people to actually look up, even occasionally. Like Zaph mentioned, those engines sounded rough, maxed out in my opinion as they tried to power out of the spin.

The prop noise (buzz) is from the craft spinning in different angles which would technically mimic the prop being feathered and unfeathered as it fights to run full power between being pushed and pulled through the chaotic air engulfing the plane as it tail spins into the ground.

Sounds plausible right? I thought so too, LOL. (I have no idea what was happening to be honest. Lol. I leave these topics to our resident, aerospace minded members, like Zaphod58.)

posted on Aug, 9 2024 @ 07:43 PM
link   
a reply to: 38181

The ATR has about ten seconds upon entering icing conditions to get out of it. The checklist calls for icing being an emergency, requiring an emergency descent, followed by notifying ATC after descending.

posted on Aug, 9 2024 @ 09:43 PM
link   
I hear the noise of the plane but I dont hear the noise of the explosion...much loosh generated...I hope their souls are free.

posted on Aug, 9 2024 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Another sudden prop pitch reversal on a turbo prop. Shades of Colgan 3407 and the Nepal crash of a couple years ago. There is an undiagnosed gremlin on these engines.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join