It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google Illegally Acted As A Search Monopoly, Judge Rules

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2024 @ 12:06 AM
link   

D.C.-based Judge Amit Mehta wrote “Google is a monopolist” and “has acted as one to maintain its monopoly,” in an opinion siding with the Department of Justice and 11 states.

In his ruling, Mehta stated Google exercises monopoly power over product markets, uses exclusive distribution agreements and charges “supracompetitive prices for general search text ads,” which Mehta argues has led to “anticompetitive behavior.”

Forbes

In other news water is wet and Blackrock owns almost everything.

Hope Google gets the ma-Bell treatment but I fail to believe anything will happen other than strong words ans a fine that is a tiny portion of Googles profits.

I refuse to use Google search. And try to not use any google products - other than YouTube. They got me with YouTube as I get all my news and sailing channel fixes off there.

posted on Aug, 6 2024 @ 12:27 AM
link   
a reply to: pianopraze

I hate how GOOGLE MAPS shows places on the map, and in the listing, who have PAID to have their businesses listed at the top.

Even when looking for a Target store, the first result can be the Target that is 3 miles further than the closest Target to your location. (In little print you see "Sponsored Result")

Very annoying when you're trying to keep your eyes on the road as much as possible. It also places stores on the map that paid to be there, even though you didn't search for them. I open Google Maps right now and see a Walgreens drug store, a Star Bucks, an Ace Hardware, and other stores cluttering the map.

Google should shift to, or add a "subscription" platform that wipes all advertisements from all their apps. I'd pay an annual fee to keep ads out of my life on Google Maps, Google G-mail, Google Photos, and other Google platforms.

posted on Aug, 6 2024 @ 12:37 AM
link   
GOOGLE ADMITS TO HIDING SEARCH RESULTS RELATED TO THE SHOOTING OF PRESIDENT TRUMP LAST MONTH.

Aug 5th - Google acknowledged to House investigators that information pertaining to former President Donald Trump’s attempted assassination was inadvertently blocked from appearing in autocomplete search results because its system was “out of date,” according to a letter unveiled Monday.

The House Oversight Committee Select Subcommittee on the Weaponization of the Federal Government revealed the findings in a letter to Sundar Pichai, the Chief Executive Officer of Alphabet, and alleged that the tech giant may be “interfering” in the upcoming election by censoring information pertaining to the assassination attempt.
More at: dailycaller.com...

Haul CEO SUNDAR PICHAI before Congress and have him explain how this "out of date" system knew every nuance of the fast-moving process that kicked Joe Biden to the curb and installed Kamala as the party nominee.

"Out of Date" my azz!

posted on Aug, 6 2024 @ 04:16 AM
link   
a reply to: WeMustCare

This is not the only fact they are hiding and they are not the only search engine hiding whatever is against the agenda.

Duck Duck Go is also hiding results. Whenever I need to look for something deeper I have to use Yandex.

Google isn't a search engine any longer, it's dead. All you get is commercial results. Same with DDG. They killed the internet.

posted on Aug, 6 2024 @ 04:22 AM
link   
I look at google like I do reddit; I know going in up front that what I am going to get for output is going to be heavily biased left. Therefore, I don't rely on things like auto-complete. The way I look at it (and really always have) is auto-complete is what google wants me to look at, and I usually want to look at the exact opposite. So I force it to give me the results I want by refusing to use auto-complete. I will type out search criteria fully, and even change a word, even if the auto-complete is exactly the search I want, just to jack with google's algorithms.

posted on Aug, 6 2024 @ 04:26 AM
link   
Rare judicial win.

if you own google stocks sell them now lmao

posted on Aug, 6 2024 @ 05:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hecate666

This is not the only fact they are hiding and they are not the only search engine hiding whatever is against the agenda.

Duck Duck Go is also hiding results. Whenever I need to look for something deeper I have to use Yandex.

Google isn't a search engine any longer, it's dead. All you get is commercial results. Same with DDG. They killed the internet.

I've always used DDG, but I find myself using Yandex more and more myself. It's a shame, really.

posted on Aug, 6 2024 @ 06:38 AM
link   
I have used Yandex to make ATS searches, as Google doesn't show older results.

It's interesting that we need to use a Russian search engine so we do not get "censured" results (we probably get a different kind of censorship).

posted on Aug, 6 2024 @ 06:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: ArMaP

It's interesting that we need to use a Russian search engine so we do not get "censured" results (we probably get a different kind of censorship).

Sad that a Russian search engine works better and provides more results than Google isn't it? Maybe we are the "baddies".

posted on Aug, 6 2024 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Absolutely we get a different kind of censorship from other countries' output and as with all social media things the censorship can be due to bias, or control of information for a price, or interpreted as propaganda because without proof it's sketchy information.

posted on Aug, 6 2024 @ 06:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: berbofthegreen
Sad that a Russian search engine works better and provides more results than Google isn't it? Maybe we are the "baddies".

I wouldn't call it "sad", as I never trusted Google.

A search engine that sorts results by popularity should not be considered better than one that sorts results by relevance.

posted on Aug, 6 2024 @ 07:13 AM
link   

I wouldn't call it "sad", as I never trusted Google.

A search engine that sorts results by popularity should not be considered better than one that sorts results by relevance.

Me either, but I do remember a time where you could get more than 4 pages of results where all of the top results on the first page weren't pro DNC BS.

posted on Aug, 6 2024 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Ok, I don't trust a single one of them. Work uses Google for software and storage..... That cloud storage Kamala was proving her stupidity over just seemingly a few days back. Search engines are great but we are volunteering to let them know what we are searching. I hope they would want to know about some things like the diabolical plots, but the leadership is only interested in us normies trying to live our lives without all this BS handed to us instead of the truly big schemes to harm humanity and God knows what else.

edit on 6000000453120248America/Chicago08am8 by Justoneman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2024 @ 08:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Justoneman
… we are volunteering to let them know what we are searching.

I don’t.

I use startpage and brave.

posted on Aug, 6 2024 @ 09:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: pianopraze

I don’t.

Work is volunteering me is what I meant, but great advice!

posted on Aug, 6 2024 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Me either, but I do remember a time where you could get more than 4 pages of results where all of the top results on the first page weren't pro DNC BS.

I don't know about that, I never make politics-related searches.

posted on Aug, 6 2024 @ 09:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Hecate666

DDG and Dogpile (another former good one) just use results from spoogle, usually for the first few pages of results anyway.

The only thing DDG and DP bring to the table is, I believe, they anonymize results back to the various providers.

I used to use Firefox, but now they've switched to using Google as their search engine. I've been playing around with Opera lately. They offer a free VPN and anonymize both search requests as well as results. Only negative I've found so far is, as with most VPN products, it slows things down.

posted on Aug, 6 2024 @ 10:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: pianopraze

I don’t.

I don't trust these either, but IMO every single search engine and browser is corrupt.
I got rid of Brave wallet as it is not what it claims to be, and had to change Brave homepage settings as the Chinese propaganda images were driving me batty.

posted on Aug, 6 2024 @ 10:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hecate666

Thankyou for the YANDEX info. What's most important to me is to find results about something that occurred in ONLY the past 24, 12, 6, or 1 hour. Google has this capability, but they are filtered to EXCLUDE positive things about MAGA/Trump...but show GOOD Truths and Lies about Democrats.

Hopefully YANDEX enables filtering out all things that occurred more than 24 hours ago.

posted on Aug, 6 2024 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Hecate666

Yandex must be a REALLY GREAT search engine, because Microsoft EDGE and Google CHROME have it BLOCKED.

The only browser (i have) which lets me even see the Yandex.com interface is FIREFOX.

Very encouraging, considering Microsoft and Google are part of the "Establishment" who have lied to us for years, about so many things.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join