It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supercell tornado sweeps through El Toro , Spain

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2024 @ 11:58 AM
link   
" I've a feeling we're not in Catalonia anymore , Tito"

Video has captured the moment a large tornado passed through Castellón in eastern Spain.
José Arenes, the mayor of a town in the region called El Toro told local media the tornado "surprised us all" but that it seemed there was "no major damage" caused.
Local weather agency MeteoStorms said it believed the tornado was caused by a supercell.
Supercells are intense thunderstorms which are characterised by a rotating updraft. They often cause tornados, in addition to hail and powerful winds.

posted on Aug, 3 2024 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I didn't know they had trailer parks in Spain!

Interesting.

posted on Aug, 3 2024 @ 03:02 PM
link   
It's just a baby-'nado. Nothing like the monster EF-5's they get down through "Tornado Alley" here in the US.

We get a lot of tornadoes here in Colorado, but fortunately they're generally of the smaller variety because the Continental Divide prevents the mammoth cumulus buildups from forming further west. When you get out into Kansas and Oklahoma where the cloud formations have had several hundred miles to build, man, some of those storms get ugly!

They didn't base the famous 'Wizard of Oz' movie in Kansas for no reason!!

They get some real bruisers down in Texas too. I've always wondered why they don't get some of the monster tornadoes through southern Russia and eastern central China. From a meteorological standpoint it makes sense why they are so rare in Europe (same as places like California and the west coast), but must be the Gobi desert and Ural range in Russia prevent them from forming like they do in the US.

Glad no one was injured in the Spain tornado.

edit on 8/3/2024 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2024 @ 11:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Scaryt thing is the decade I lived in Oklahoma the tonados started spawning further east and moved east, always wondered if the alley was shifting cause magnetic north was.

posted on Aug, 4 2024 @ 12:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Scaryt thing is the decade I lived in Oklahoma the tonados started spawning further east and moved east, always wondered if the alley was shifting cause magnetic north was.

This is true. I was out in OKC last year for a bit and spoke with locals saying they noticed a shift eastwards past years.

I confirmed it saying we’ve been seeing a rise in tornados in the Midwest by Iowa/northern Illinois etc.

Chicagoland area is primed to get hit by a monster(s) for example. Hopefully not. But there’s been an increase in touchdowns past years.

A ef-3 hit around the Naperville area right outside Chicago 2 years ago. Was narrow and intense, but it caused a large path of down trees around. I drove through there and noticed a pattern where the tops were snapped.

There was a ef-1 a couple weeks ago in Chicago by Evanston area etc. Last time I believe it was decades ago.

All big time tornadoes spawn from supercell’s. Those are the isolated ones that have basically an engine to pump out long tracked/high intensity tornadoes.

A couple weeks ago In Chicago they were QLCS tornadoes. Meaning they were brief touchdowns/low intensity spawning along the squall line and from bow echoes.

Touchdowns were broad across a high populated area so the concern/alarming threat was there even though them being brief/lower intensity.

Lake Michigan and sky rises have been pointed as the savior for Chicago and this is mostly false. Lake Michigan can be both an inhibitor and an enhancer for tornado development. As the cooler outflow from Lake Michigan extends 20miles+ inland.

The 1990 ef5 Plainfield tornado happened in late August. The cold outflow from Lake Michigan in this instance caused crazy destabilization interacting with a high dome of very warm moist air punching through the atmosphere. I believe the jkg unit was above 8000 at time which is in the “insane” powder keg mode.

It is the only F5/EF5 rated tornado ever officially recorded in August in the United States (unofficially the 1883 Rochester, Minnesota cyclone is considered an F5), and the only F5 tornado to strike the Chicago area.[1][2]

en.wikipedia.org...

Repeat, it is the only ef-5 tornado to hit the United States officially in August, and it was in the Chicagoland area.

Dr Fujita (who the “f” tornado scale was named from) surveyed the damage path afterwards. Noting a 18”+ depth ground scoring trench marks in the corn fields. Which means intense low level winds. Usually from intense sub vortices within/around the main circulation. Basically where it peels off street asphalt and wipe structures clean off foundations.

Which basically explains how a tornado could take this house and not the neighboring house in documented instances. Or possibly explain other strange phenomena where a vase and pictures can stay perfectly still while in other surrounding areas is completely gone etc.

The convective available potential energy (given in joules per kilogram air) is the amount of energy a parcel of air would have if lifted a certain distance vertically through the atmosphere. Any value greater than 0 J/kg indicates instability and an increasing probability of thunderstorms and hail.

www.meteomatics.com...

edit on 4-8-2024 by Imhere because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2024 @ 06:29 AM
link   
hope that cell brought them some rain.
they've been dry for a while.

I'd wondered why Europe gets so few twisters

posted on Aug, 5 2024 @ 12:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Imhere

There was a Tornado that went through Morton/Peoria Illinois a few years ago. Some of the personal items from homes were found here in the Chicago area...170 miles to the Northeast.

new topics

top topics

join