It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CNN permanently shuts down opinion section

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Jul, 31 2024 @ 05:48 PM
link   

CNN's opinion section will be permanently shuttered on August 9. A number of writers were informed on Wednesday via email that the decision had been finalized.

The move was first revealed earlier this month, with journalist Claire Atkinson noting on Substack that contributors and the team working behind the scenes to gather, edit, and publish opinion pieces had been told they'd be let go in the coming weeks.

Link

Ya love to see it.

Over the past 10-20 years the opinion section of CNN have been a mix of rant, diatribe and outright fan fiction.

Plus it also puts some responsibility back onto the one writing the opinion for their words should they strike out on their own. Via Substack or X.

I mean, it worked for Don Lemon....right?

posted on Jul, 31 2024 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: wAnchorofCarp

Communist News Network earning that label honestly.

They can't handle non narrative they push being allowed on their platform. I considered them lost since about 1995 or so. They were right to not like the DS families like G Bushes. But now they embrace them for Biden and the D's...

posted on Jul, 31 2024 @ 06:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Justoneman

I'm wondering if those section 230 protections are going to be re-evaluated soon.

I can't see them suddenly having an identity crisis.

posted on Jul, 31 2024 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Feds will drive CNN out of business next year.

posted on Jul, 31 2024 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Next: MSNBC!!

They don't even report anymore. They just spew venomous vitriol mostly about Trump, but also against ANYTHING that detours from the narrative of the swamp.

The fact they're still on the air is a testament to how badly 1st Amendment reform is needed pertaining to "freedom of the press". I think blatantly and literally deceiving the public is a flat out crime.

They get to spew their garbage with impunity. Worst case, a retraction. That used to be BAD for the news business, but now it's no biggie if they even do it at all.

Slippery slope indeed, and the reform, if that's even a good term for it, would need to be well crafted. Not my rushed version here.

posted on Jul, 31 2024 @ 07:31 PM
link   

MSM opinions sections died once FOX canned Carlson and realized youtube pundits had more popularity than their dying platforms.

This isn't a shock.

posted on Jul, 31 2024 @ 07:37 PM
link   
a reply to: VariedcodeSole

The fact they're still on the air is a testament to how badly 1st Amendment reform is needed pertaining to "freedom of the press". I think blatantly and literally deceiving the public is a flat out crime.

I don’t think the first amendment needs any reform.

What we see happening is the free market in motion. CNN dramatically saw a loss in viewers as they veered more towards punditry. Then we saw whole industries like podcasts, and YouTubers take rise. People could find more unbiased sources if they wished or pick a different flavor.

Cable is a racket anyways, you literally have to pay to be advertised to around a fourth of the time. I’ll gladly play for the a la carte streaming services at a comparable price to ditch the adds and have more of a selection for what I get.

Plus, let’s say you get your way on first amendment reforms, even if it’s someone you trust to do it, you know the next crew is coming for you right?

Never give an inch, and defend those you disagree with when it comes to rights or you’re next.
edit on 31-7-2024 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2024 @ 08:09 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

Tucker was very late to the game.

Your point however isn't lost on me. What is however is CNN's inability to be anywhere near current. In what other market does this behavior allow a business to stand?

posted on Jul, 31 2024 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Does this mean CNN will be a 5 minute video loop updated every day or two? That would cover all the real news they report as quickly as they report it.

posted on Jul, 31 2024 @ 09:11 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Screw that noise! WTH are you talking about? I notice you take on an overly broad and forgiving attitude towards what's obviously wrong in the world. I don't resonate with your "it is, what it is and has been that way for____" approach to things that CAN be dealt with. You wanna breaststroke, flip over and backstroke in a pool apathy, then by all means. Just don't expect to win me over.

You DO realize that the MSM is complicit in the deaths of thousands over their BS Covid "reporting"?? Is that forgiveable? Should I defend their right to do that for the sake of free speech???!!

GTFO.

Who's more naive here? You for thinking the MSM has lost their reach? Or myself for thinking people have the attention spans to recall the actual reasons their family members and friends are dead?

Do a search for "records of MSM lies". I bet within the first three results there will be something about Trump being dishonest. It's a joke.

posted on Jul, 31 2024 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Eh, people often mistake my positions for being moderate or fence sitting, so I’m used to that.

Personally, I feel that the type of political “options” we have are far too moderate for my taste.

Here’s where we’re different. I don’t think the government needs to say what can be on airwaves or tweets, right or left.

It’s working itself out as we speak, proof being CNN taking the most profitable part of most people’s portfolio away from theirs.

They can’t be a “serious” news organization and take the punditry news route though many get away with it. They’re reacting to market forces.

If you want to entrust the government to protect our feeble brains from bad opinions, that’s your right.

I can watch CNN, come here, go to Reddit, and disagree with all of you.

I voted for Trump in 2016, and have never voted for a Democrat for president. I had plenty of threads dispelling the silly Russia narrative and even highlighted with evidence how he was tougher on them than Obama.

If you see a trend in my posting history, it’s a contention with his economic policy. I don’t sink into the Russia thing or get hung up on his style other than pointing out he isn’t able to pivot when he wins and get people behind him.

posted on Jul, 31 2024 @ 09:40 PM
link   

It's a tough conversation.

Do you blame the media for doing what media has always done or do you blame the people too stupid to know what the media does?

The MSM doesn't owe anyone anything. Truth, fact or otherwise.

And it isn't just media. But all systems that have a facade of trust.

In a somewhat normal world, CNN would be broke and gone.

posted on Aug, 1 2024 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Whatever else this is, it is a good sign. The fact that they can't make money with their retarded views is a good thing.

posted on Aug, 1 2024 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Don who ?

Cheers

posted on Aug, 1 2024 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Hopefully the Anti MAGA crazies will self destruct after Trump wins.

posted on Aug, 1 2024 @ 08:23 AM
link   
unfortunately we have a closed loop where the leftist Democrats control the schools, and the schools teach the progressive point of view, then CNN and the other main media repeat. so the average person is getting the same message from their teachers, reinforced by the media, and continued by the Democrats.

we need to figure out how to break the loop. wake up sheeple!!!

posted on Aug, 1 2024 @ 08:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Coelacanth55

CNN and MSM have horrible ratings. I don’t think any young people are or have been watching it.

They’re more likely to listen to podcasts and other outlets of their choosing.

Social media may give them a little bit more of a left bias, but now Twitter is more of a level playing field. So probably tic tok and Reddit are the only left dominated socials that are super prominent.

The market worked pretty fast considering these used to be juggernauts.

posted on Aug, 1 2024 @ 10:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: VariedcodeSole

Do a search for "records of MSM lies". I bet within the first three results there will be something about Trump being dishonest. It's a joke.

I mean, he is dishonest. I recall him raving about Assange and Wikileaks then turning around and telling a reporter that he wasn’t familiar with Assange or WL. He vowed to pull from the troops for the ME and didn’t do that. He supported red flag laws after supposedly being vehemently pro gun. At the end of the day he’s a politician. That’s the name of the game.

Inb4 I get labeled a leftist. I despise the left and the right and everything in between. Voted for the guy in 2020, but I can look back on it objectively. Guys is a crock, and definitely has a hold on the right sometimes to the point of idolatry imo. Sad to see it.

posted on Aug, 1 2024 @ 12:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: ihategovernment

originally posted by: VariedcodeSole

I mean, he is dishonest. I recall him raving about Assange and Wikileaks then turning around and telling a reporter that he wasn’t familiar with Assange or WL. He vowed to pull from the troops for the ME and didn’t do that. He supported red flag laws after supposedly being vehemently pro gun. At the end of the day he’s a politician. That’s the name of the game.

Inb4 I get labeled a leftist. I despise the left and the right and everything in between. Voted for the guy in 2020, but I can look back on it objectively. Guys is a crock, and definitely has a hold on the right sometimes to the point of idolatry imo. Sad to see it.

Another "Capt. Cavalier". All those faults and you STILL voted for him though, didn't you?

What was the point of your response again?
🙄

posted on Aug, 1 2024 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: wAnchorofCarp

Do you blame the media for doing what media has always done or do you blame the people too stupid to know what the media does?

Both.

We can't cure inherent stupidity, but measures could be put in place to detour blatant deceit. Sometimes the stupid needs a shepard instead of a defiler. Then, like magic, things will start to right themselves naturally.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join