It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kaspersky offers free security software for six months in U.S. goodbye

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2024 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: DerBeobachter2

originally posted by: rickymouse
I also clear my stuff with ccleaner before I close down the computer every night...

When i read that i was pretty sure that "CCleaner is the security devil" posts were incoming. Normally when you say CCleaner, all those web-"experts" start immediately to scream: OOOH NOOOO.

I use CCleaner the same way you do.

I read long ago that if someone sticks a trojan or virus on your computer, if you clear all the history in the browser and also clean the registry of not fully integrated programs, the virus or Trojan most likely can't get properly installed when the computer restarts. It is protection against it writing into the bios or boot sector. I am not sure if it is still that way, I have been doing that for over ten years and I have not had anything mess up my computer since...antiviral software or not.

posted on Jul, 21 2024 @ 03:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Quadlink2
Well this is not suspicious at all....

From

www.bleepingcomputer.com...

Kaspersky is offering free security products for six months and tips for staying safe as a parting gift to consumers in the United States.

The company decided to close its business and lay off employees in the U.S. after the U.S. government added Kaspersky to the Entity List, a catalogue of “foreign individuals, companies, and organizations deemed a national security concern.”

So who fancies giving the free full version a try ?

I would stay well clear if i were you..

All the best

PS to mods, not really sure where to put this.
Please if you will append as needed thankyou

OH NOOOO! Russia Russia Russia is going to get us with the Kaspersky internet security suite. It's a Putin Trojan horse!!! OMG!

posted on Jul, 21 2024 @ 03:53 PM
link   
I have tried several AV's and various maintenance software packages over the years. I finally settled on a combination of Avast One, Malwarbytes and CCleaner. These three do not conflict with each other and have served me well. None of them have a big footprint and my system does not lag at all, though it is a bit of a land rocket to begin with.

I tried Kaspersky, Norton, and Macafee and none of them was worth a damn as far as I was concerned. All were far too much of a drain on system resources and seemed to invite more viruses than they blocked. And I never really did trust a Russian owned/operated AV anyway...

posted on Jul, 21 2024 @ 07:19 PM
link   
20+ years in the field, I can tell you this is just a marketing stunt to try and capitalize on the CS problem.

I can also tell you, the only companies going to switch away from CS over this are small- not the kinds of companies that pay the bills.

If I think of it tomorrow, I'm going to figure out how to buy stock in crowd strike. My guess is they'll make a full recovery in a few months

posted on Jul, 21 2024 @ 11:29 PM
link   
a reply to: ADVISOR

Awesome, i use zonealarm pro, been subd to it since its early release many many years ago and it serves me well.

All the best

posted on Jul, 21 2024 @ 11:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Cymru

lol.. ahh i miss the Amega days.. i think i have had nearly every version of them.. i had 2 1200's at the end, wish i still had them.

All the best

posted on Jul, 21 2024 @ 11:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: NoCorruptionAllowed

Well this is not suspicious at all....

From

www.bleepingcomputer.com...

Kaspersky is offering free security products for six months and tips for staying safe as a parting gift to consumers in the United States.

The company decided to close its business and lay off employees in the U.S. after the U.S. government added Kaspersky to the Entity List, a catalogue of “foreign individuals, companies, and organizations deemed a national security concern.”

So who fancies giving the free full version a try ?

I would stay well clear if i were you..

All the best

PS to mods, not really sure where to put this.
Please if you will append as needed thankyou

OH NOOOO! Russia Russia Russia is going to get us with the Kaspersky internet security suite. It's a Putin Trojan horse!!! OMG!

hahaha .. run away .....

All the best

posted on Jul, 21 2024 @ 11:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

originally posted by: chr0naut
a reply to: Quadlink2

What you need is Crowdstrike Falcon.

Not.

Ha... ive just started to use Cloudflare WARP sort of a VPN, pretty simple and seems to work well, look it up.

developers.cloudflare.com...

All the best

Cloudflare is different to Crowdstrike.

Crowdstrike purport to use AI to identify all sorts of attempts to compromise systems, even ones that are only very new and haven't been done before. They look up a database of similar exploits and other details and they try and profile the attacker, as well, so they can put up blocks against other methods the attacker may try. Their main product, the one that caused the global outage over last weekend, is software called Falcon, which collects and profiles usage trends and uploads the details to the an AI engine in the cloud.

Cloudflare basically started as servers with high speed connection which share content faster, and customer websites can link to to get big files out (like graphics and video) as fast as possible. One of the things that they have taken on is to use their DNS backbone and servers for faster VPN and for navigating the web faster, with added content filtering as a bonus.

Also, I'm fairly sure that Cloudflare sells some of its metadata to advertising companies and has key escrow for law enforcement, so I'm not sure I would trust it for true anonymity.

But thanks I'll give it a look at.

Interesting info chr0naut thankyou...

All the best

<< 1   >>

join