It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kaspersky offers free security software for six months in U.S. goodbye

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2024 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Well this is not suspicious at all....

From

www.bleepingcomputer.com...

Kaspersky is offering free security products for six months and tips for staying safe as a parting gift to consumers in the United States.

The company decided to close its business and lay off employees in the U.S. after the U.S. government added Kaspersky to the Entity List, a catalogue of “foreign individuals, companies, and organizations deemed a national security concern.”

So who fancies giving the free full version a try ?

I would stay well clear if i were you..

All the best

PS to mods, not really sure where to put this.
Please if you will append as needed thankyou

posted on Jul, 20 2024 @ 10:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Quadlink2

Honestly, anti viruses are mostly RAM drain these days.

Your best security is good habits.

posted on Jul, 20 2024 @ 11:15 PM
link   
I have tried some other anti-viruses and now I am using windows defender and that seems to work pretty decently. I usually avoid sites that seem risky, but once in a while I will have it find one. I also clear my stuff with ccleaner before I close down the computer every night and run a registry scan if I feel I went to a risky site during my browsing. I have been using a computer since eighty six, I learned much about avoiding risky sites and never use my computer with a credit card...except when I use a secure mode to protect sensitive data. Experience in the past and also experience ridding multiple friends of viruses over the year manually has taught me to beware of what I click on.

My daughter is in school for cybersecurity now and says defender is a decent anti-virus from dealing with this kind of stuff. she is being tested on her ability to get rid of viruses and other kinds of threats and she is teaching me now, I taught her when she was young and now the shoe is on the other foot.
edit on 20-7-2024 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2024 @ 01:48 AM
link   

What you need is Crowdstrike Falcon.

Not.

posted on Jul, 21 2024 @ 04:23 AM
link   

I once had a free trial version but it was a long time ago. It was crap. It didn't recognize my ISP number so blocked the internet connection until I disabled it. I had to disable it when I wanted to send an email too. Finally, I removed it because most of the time it had to be switched off anyway. Total crap. Perhaps now it's better but I didn't want to try it anymore.

posted on Jul, 21 2024 @ 04:25 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Indeed i could not agree more, i got my MCSE in 97, got it late in life i was in my mid 30's, iam scared of saying this but i have not been caught out by i virus or malware since the Vic20 lol

All the best

posted on Jul, 21 2024 @ 04:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: twistedpuppy

I once had a free trial version but it was a long time ago. It was crap. It didn't recognize my ISP number so blocked the internet connection until I disabled it. I had to disable it when I wanted to send an email too. Finally, I removed it because most of the time it had to be switched off anyway. Total crap. Perhaps now it's better but I didn't want to try it anymore.

Not just rubbish but probably spies on your system too so your much better off without it.

All the best

posted on Jul, 21 2024 @ 04:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

Not.

Ha... ive just started to use Cloudflare WARP sort of a VPN, pretty simple and seems to work well, look it up.

developers.cloudflare.com...

All the best

posted on Jul, 21 2024 @ 04:32 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Hello rickymouse, have a look at Cloudflare WARP sort of a free VPN ..sort of lol

It may be of use to you, ive been using for a couple of weeks and it is pretty good, easy to disable when needed.

All the best

posted on Jul, 21 2024 @ 04:37 AM
link   
By the way.. Does anyone know which forum tech news and alike would reside ?

Thankyou ATS

All the best

posted on Jul, 21 2024 @ 05:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Quadlink2

originally posted by: chr0naut

Not.

Ha... ive just started to use Cloudflare WARP sort of a VPN, pretty simple and seems to work well, look it up.

All the best

Cloudflare is different to Crowdstrike.

Crowdstrike purport to use AI to identify all sorts of attempts to compromise systems, even ones that are only very new and haven't been done before. They look up a database of similar exploits and other details and they try and profile the attacker, as well, so they can put up blocks against other methods the attacker may try. Their main product, the one that caused the global outage over last weekend, is software called Falcon, which collects and profiles usage trends and uploads the details to the an AI engine in the cloud.

Cloudflare basically started as servers with high speed connection which share content faster, and customer websites can link to to get big files out (like graphics and video) as fast as possible. One of the things that they have taken on is to use their DNS backbone and servers for faster VPN and for navigating the web faster, with added content filtering as a bonus.

Also, I'm fairly sure that Cloudflare sells some of its metadata to advertising companies and has key escrow for law enforcement, so I'm not sure I would trust it for true anonymity.

But thanks I'll give it a look at.

posted on Jul, 21 2024 @ 05:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Quadlink2
By the way.. Does anyone know which forum tech news and alike would reside ?

Thankyou ATS

All the best

Click on Forums up in the menu bar.

Scroll down to "Science And Technology" Or if it's more computer related scroll down to "Computers And Internet"

Welcome to ATS

posted on Jul, 21 2024 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Do you need an anti-virus thing? I dont know should I get one? Is my PC at risk??! Can you randomly get viruses or do you have to click on something or download something and get them? These may be dumb questions my last PC was on dialup internet hehehehehehe

posted on Jul, 21 2024 @ 05:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shoshanna
Do you need an anti-virus thing? I dont know should I get one? Is my PC at risk??! Can you randomly get viruses or do you have to click on something or download something and get them? These may be dumb questions my last PC was on dialup internet hehehehehehe

Windows Defender should be enough. Additionally i use "NOVirusThanks OS Armor". And a VPN.

posted on Jul, 21 2024 @ 05:50 AM
link   

I remember when Kaspersky first came out, was suspicious of it then, and still don't trust companies like them.

When I used them, and I have, my computer was infested with viruses. Then, I factory reset the damn thing, made sure all protective software was removed or disabled.

Then, I ran a dual firewall system and never had an issue again. Literally never.

It's been decade since, and my computer is still running after 15years flawlessly.

🍻

posted on Jul, 21 2024 @ 06:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
I also clear my stuff with ccleaner before I close down the computer every night...

When i read that i was pretty sure that "CCleaner is the security devil" posts were incoming. Normally when you say CCleaner, all those web-"experts" start immediately to scream: OOOH NOOOO.

I use CCleaner the same way you do.

posted on Jul, 21 2024 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Tisk tisk, it was all about the C=64!

And my 2p worth. Any and all AV vendors are playing cat and mouse with the bad guys. Performance is my main variable. Having said that, Crowdstrike have nuked that into orbit this week.

posted on Jul, 21 2024 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Nothing...is really "free". Beware.

posted on Jul, 21 2024 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Treasury Sanctions Kaspersky Lab Leadership in Response to Continued Cybersecurity Risks

roflol

But? RUSSIANS!! 🤣🤣

June 21, 2024
WASHINGTON — Today, the Department of the Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) designated twelve individuals in executive and senior leadership roles at AO Kaspersky Lab (Kaspersky Lab).

“Today’s action against the leadership of Kaspersky Lab underscores our commitment to ensure the integrity of our cyber domain and to protect our citizens against malicious cyber threats,” said Under Secretary of the Treasury for Terrorism and Financial Intelligence Brian E. Nelson. “The United States will take action where necessary to hold accountable those who would seek to facilitate or otherwise enable these activities.”

Yesterday, the Department of Commerce issued a final determination pursuant to Executive Order (E.O.) 13873 prohibiting Kaspersky Lab, Inc., its affiliates, subsidiaries and parent companies directly or indirectly from providing anti-virus software and cybersecurity products or services in the United States or to U.S. persons.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

posted on Jul, 21 2024 @ 11:32 AM
link   

The fact that the federal gov't says that they are some kind of security risk makes me think that they are not a security risk.

I generally believe the exact opposite of whatever the gov't says. I've sending erred using that metric.

<<   2 >>

join