It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Watch out guys I am merging onto the information superhighway!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2024 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Wish me luck guys. After extensive thinking today I am picking up my birthday present to myself which is a desktop computer yay!

What i was looking for is something cheap but not too cheap, new not refurbished because guys in my life if there is a 0.01% chance of something going wrong, its definitely going wrong and simple to use.

I did not want a touch screen or all in one because of that same thing. If it can go wrong it will.

Ruled out laptops because I need a bigger screen and the only thing with bigger screens that weren't like 1000+ were chrome books which I definitely did not want a chrome book. At all.

Don't need fancy stuff because I dont really play games or anything just wanted to go back to the 00s somewhat with a basic desktop PC like I used to have.

Overall I am hyped and hoping to get this thing hooked up and be surfing the information superhighway by this afternoon. Now I will be able to upload all my cool pictures I've taken with my telescope I am totally obsessed with. Still no UFOs but I am going to Nevada next month so we will see what happens there.

It is just a simple HP desktop but it has everything that I wanted which is 16GB ram and a disk drive. It also the set up I am getting has a 27.5 inch monitor which is pretty big to me but I can always hook it up to my TV I suppose. Not too expensive at under 700. I dont know about Windows 11 I think the last Windows I used was Windows ME so we will see what the learning curve is on this thing but overall I am jazzed.

posted on Jul, 12 2024 @ 06:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Shoshanna

don't click on just any link. make sure you know what you are clicking on. And if you get emails, don't follow any links sent to you, go directly to the site and log in that way. Scammers are getting better every day, and they are making good cash. Don't be a contributor.

posted on Jul, 12 2024 @ 07:14 AM
link   

I've got pretty much the same PC as you're getting, but the monitor is only a 22. I'm not a gamer either,, just ATS, news and some Youtube videos, so I don't need all the fancy stuff. Windows 11 is meh. Too many apps that's you'll never use and make damn sure Cortana is turned off .

posted on Jul, 12 2024 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Don't forget to get a decent semi secure browser

posted on Jul, 12 2024 @ 07:33 AM
link   
If you are not doing anything to fancy and looking for an operating system, add Linux Mint to the list. Well done in getting what you want, I know it is not always easy.

posted on Jul, 12 2024 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Allright Shoshanna! Looking forward to you posting some of your telescope pics.
I did a lol when I saw your "information superhighway" thread title. I have a friend who frequently uses that term. When he gets annoyed by ads and clickbait, he calls it the "misinformation super-tollway".

edit on 12-7-2024 by ColeYounger2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2024 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Do not under any circumstances even though their offer sounds fantastic from what i can remmeber, install 'McAfee'

Impossible to uninstall and a right pain in the butt.

posted on Jul, 12 2024 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I am looking for a new computer as well. My old HP came with win 8 on it and I later upgraded to win 10. The new one I am looking at is an HP and similar to what you are doing. I almost decided on a new $1300 Apple because I didn't want to give Bill Gates one more penny of my money but decided to buy the cheapest computer I could find instead since realizing the racket these damned things are. The racket is that both major brands operating systems have a shelf life of around 3 years before they come out with a new version and stop support on the current operating system. It's a racket. A criminal enterprise.

I rolled this computer back to win 8 a few days ago and man did it make a difference in internet browsing speed. It's the fastest it has been in years. The only problem is I can not do any financial transactions on it. No support and outdated security on it at this point.

But that's OK too because I'm thinking about getting away from this Satan's creation for my financial affairs anyway. I'm considering going back to snail mail, paper credit card statements, checks, and cash. If I don't do anything financial here, screw the upgrades and security. This thing, so far, is serving me quite nicely as far as surfing the web is concerned.

Digital electronics and computers are the devil's creation and Bill Gates is Satan himself, in the flesh.

Watch this video concerning windows 11. The main part concerning 11 is near the end. He talks about how and why you no longer own your computer or the information you store on it. "The Cloud Storage" and software rental for the device you supposedly own.

edit on 12-7-2024 by charlest2 because: (no reason given)

PS: I downloaded and use the Chrome browser on this old machine and operating system.

new topics

top topics

join