It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arizona Obliterates Signature Requirements for Abortion Initiative

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2024 @ 11:23 PM
link   
The country has confidence in States Rights.

Now Arizona Joins Colorado, Florida, Maryland, New York, Nevada, and South Dakota in getting an initiative on the ballot. (Not official, but it will be)

www.nbcnews.com...

Arizona for Abortion Access, the group leading the effort, announced it had collected the signatures of more than 823,000 registered voters — more than two times the 384,000 it needed to move forward with the process of qualifying their proposal for the ballot. Organizers said it is the largest number of signatures ever submitted in Arizona for a citizen-led ballot initiative. 

Organizers said they had collected the necessary number of signatures months ago, with the intention of waiting until the Wednesday deadline to submit the highest number possible. The strategy was designed as a show of strength and a contingency if a large number of the signatures were challenged or thrown out by state officials.

You know, I think they got it. A record breaking amount too.

There may be as many as 11 or 12 abortion initiatives this Nov 5th.

And that is the angle I'm going after so this doesn't spiral into hell.

There is a libertarian trending contradiction. It is more interesting than it gets credit for. Even with Alito, even with 10 Commandments posters, even with the largely felt assault on our freedom, we are going to see states that simultaneously vote for Trump and women's reproductive freedom overwhelmingly. The same states taking Trump 54% to 46% will be passing reproductive rights initiatives with 55% or more of the vote.

Besides Arizona, a good example is Trump's Home State, Florida. Trump is +7.0 in the polls, but Ammendment 4 is polling with 60% support.

Surprisingly, is it's not the divisive issue where the President is concerned. I made the mistake of thinking Democrats and reproductive freedom was connected. One goes with the other. It clearly doesn't connect as much as I thought.

The adjustment period to the slap in the face many women felt was quick and the response is determined to get it back.

And while I'm not interested in debating the state vs federal aspect personally, I find it interesting the states are collectively turning it back into an almost universal protection one at a time.

Yet, it's not helping Biden one IOTA. Even with the fearful buzz of growing Christian theocracy, the country is still too over Joe Biden and is willing to trust a Trump administration to honor their states rights.
edit on 4-7-2024 by Degradation33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2024 @ 12:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Degradation33

Who wants to Live in a State that allows the Murder of the Unborn ?
edit on 5-7-2024 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2024 @ 12:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Degradation33
The country has confidence in States Rights.

Now Arizona Joins Colorado, Florida, Maryland, New York, Nevada, and South Dakota in getting an initiative on the ballot. (Not official, but it will be).

Its possible Trump said he would never pass a national abortion ban. He daid that decision belongs to the state. So a state could easily vote to have abortions and yet vote republican. Im all for it i consider myself a libertarian the less the federal government controls the better.
edit on 7/5/2024 by yeahright because: Edit of quote of opening post

posted on Jul, 5 2024 @ 12:25 AM
link   
As Ginsberg said the SCOTUS should never have passed the abortion law, as it was poorly written and not within the letter of the law.

Kicking it back to the states should be seen as progress to fix a wrong rulling.

It a stupid thing for people to be fighting over, anyway. There's the morning after pill, the abortin pill and Planned Parenthood that will gladly give up to $5,000.00 to transport a womans to a state where she can legally abort her fetus-even up to the monet of live birth. Oh! And there's always BIRTH CONTROL.
Maybe there should be a limit on how many pregnancies a woman can end before mandatory tubal ligation?

We all know legalizing abortion up to and including full term berth is step one; step two is government funding to do so.

posted on Jul, 5 2024 @ 07:19 AM
link   

I thought Trump banned all abortions world wide. Did that not really happen?

posted on Jul, 5 2024 @ 07:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Zanti Misfit

Women do.

Women get such a raw deal in life from men in general.

Why not let them choose what happens with their own body?

If your archaic views doesn't allow for women to have freedom of choice, might as well lock em up in the kitchen.

posted on Jul, 5 2024 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Surprisingly, is it's not the divisive issue where the President is concerned. I made the mistake of thinking Democrats and reproductive freedom was connected. One goes with the other. It clearly doesn't connect as much as I thought.

Republican women need abortions and use IVF too! Who knew? You wouldn't know it the way the right wingers around here talk about women and abortions.

But, as far as Trump protecting states' rights, or access to safe abortion. He's transactional. Trump doesn't care about "issues". He cares about power and money and the people that give it to him.

posted on Jul, 5 2024 @ 09:05 AM
link   
I like how America went full retard on this issue.

The two options are "NO ABORTIONS AT ALL" and "ABORTIONS UP TO AND INCLUDING THE DAY OF DELIVERY". Just pathetic and moronic.

Just pick a random European country (not Poland) and copy their law. Then it stops being an issue. No late term abortions so no baby murder (without a very good reason anyway), no unwanted pregnancy. Win win.

posted on Jul, 5 2024 @ 09:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit

Who wants to Live in a State that allows the Murder of the Unborn ?

More than half the population, apparently.

posted on Jul, 5 2024 @ 09:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

Still surprising rigidity to party line has blurred. There are enough center/right women now to where this is leaping beyond the party. Its almost across the board 55-65% support. I really thought fear over Trump + the threat of a national ban being done anyway (VP hopeful Tim Scott approves) would help Joe more.

It's an irony to me. In a country losing it's freaking mind over almost everything, and drifting further apart, it's the MOST divisive issue that is actually drifting towards the center.

I think there's been a mindset change, even liberation among Republican women. 40 years ago Republican women were almost universally against it. And if they had to make that choice for themselves, their actions were kept in the basement like a monster child, out of fear of people finding out. Republican = Pro-Life, very little exception. There is less shunning Christian gossip whispering to others, "You know, I heard she had an abortion!"

Now there's up to 30% Pro choice on the right, which reflects in AZ, FL, and SD even as the rest of politics doesn't. It makes it that much harder to use "the left wants to kill babies" as a valid argument.
edit on 5-7-2024 by Degradation33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2024 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Ohanka

I don't think there's any state that allows for willy nilly late term abortions, I think it's an option on the table in case of an emergency. When you ban across the board all together you get cases like what happened in Ireland where an abortion was needed, because a woman miscarriaged and was denied the medical practice of abortion and she died.

posted on Jul, 5 2024 @ 10:36 AM
link   
So when will a State put the "30 Day Warrantee" to a vote? 💥

posted on Jul, 5 2024 @ 10:38 AM
link   

It makes it that much harder to use "the left wants to kill babies" as a valid argument.

Not really.
When they keep telling you that then it’s difficult to not believe them, especially when they back it up with their actions.
The left wants 100% “choice”.
There’s no limits to them.
No compromise.
They’ll lie and tell you different.
They’ll commit violence to forward their agenda.

posted on Jul, 5 2024 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Vermilion

Have you looked into South Dakota Amemdment G?

www.dakotanewsnow.com...

SIOUX FALLS, S.D. (South Dakota News Watch) - Support for a 2024 ballot amendment that would enshrine abortion access in the state constitution is growing, reflected by a nearly 20-point margin between residents who said they are for the measure and those who oppose it, according to a poll co-sponsored by South Dakota News Watch.

The statewide survey of 500 registered voters, also sponsored by the Chiesman Center for Democracy at the University of South Dakota, showed that 53% of respondents support Constitutional Amendment G. If passed, it would reverse a state abortion ban enacted when the U.S. Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade. The measure is opposed by 35% of those polled, with 11% undecided.

While 500 is a smaller survey, Abortion access has an 18 point lead in a state where Trump has a 19 point lead. The polls are almost identical. Those against the amendment are about the same in percentage as Biden supporters. 35% and 31% respectively.

South Dakota is very red. Yet, Amendment G allows abortion up to 18 weeks and is polling AS POPULAR AS TRUMP.

Is it like a political inverse square law or something? It is undermining this notion that reproductive freedom is a political issue to be used on party lines.
edit on 5-7-2024 by Degradation33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2024 @ 11:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Degradation33

South Dakota is very red. Yet, Amendment G allows abortion up to 18 weeks and is polling AS POPULAR AS TRUMP.

Is it like a political inverse square law or something? It is undermining this notion that reproductive freedom is a political issue to be used on party lines.

it's possible the people are starting to figure out they have been gaslit. The decision rests with each state and each state can enact the laws their residents vote for. I think someone called it "democracy" or something. But it's not something Trump controls now. Nor does any federal agency. And once this is "fixed" as in the states laws are codified, then there really won't be the political wedge issue of abortion to be used anymore. This is how you fix something this complex.

posted on Jul, 5 2024 @ 11:04 AM
link   

While I don't support abortion, I have to say that this is fantastic and I'm very happy to see the people of the state make themselves heard so clearly. This is exactly how issues like this were meant to be handled.

I'm also happy to see that the connection between 'progressives' and 'reproductive rights' is starting to become less and less apparent. It doesn't help the lefts case that they had decades to codify RvW into law at the federal level and refused to do so, very obviously because it would've taken away a method of fear mongering their voter base each election cycle.

posted on Jul, 5 2024 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: MrGashler

can you smell the fear? This election season is totally abortion based. The left has nothing else to run on. And once this is done in the states, there won't be any argument to be had, other than to whine about the restrictive states, and then be told to move somewhere more murder friendly. Once this happens, they have nothing left. Nothing.

posted on Jul, 5 2024 @ 11:22 AM
link   

So much for the days when the democrats wanted “safe, legal and rare”.
That was just a ruse anyway.

15 weeks seems to be the sweet spot where they have the most support.
Why are they pushing 18 weeks?
They act like they’ll compromise but it’s just a foot in the door before they kick it in.
Similar to the gun laws.
They say they want common sense gun laws for safety.
No, they want them all.
They want no limits abortion and all the guns.
If they don’t get it there’s going to be more violence.

posted on Jul, 5 2024 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Just like to point out since RvW the number of abortions occurring went UP, it was never the attack certain groups of congress critters would like to say it was.

But (and by the way I am not going to respond further because of how much emotion goes into this argument) I would wager that if you went state by state and looked at the marketing for those ballot measures you will find the same fear drum being beaten that the democrats have been using for years, all the while abortions keep happening in growing numbers.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join