It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No one is buying used teslas.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2024 @ 05:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: BeyondKnowledge3
For all those supporting atomic power.

If forced to, I would drink several drops of gasoline and a small chunk of coal. Would you consume the same amount of nuclear core material?

A few atoms will kill you. Meanwhile, I might get a little sick.

That is the biggest difference I see. I have studied atomic energy. I have touched an atomic reactor in shutdown mode still in place in a museam. That was in Oak Ridge, Tennessee. I know a few things about atomic energy and the dangers of it.

The average human body has an estimated 100 million plutonium atoms.

posted on Jul, 4 2024 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Driven a few.

Like a giant slot car, accelerates and decelerates exactly the same.

a reply to: whyamIhere

posted on Jul, 4 2024 @ 09:41 PM
link   
The current problem are the lithium packs. You'd be lucky to achieve 1500 recharge cycles. Even then, with reduced range. So they build large battery packs to ensure longevity. However all that extra weight means everything else has to be overbuilt to cater for the extra weight of batteries (1000-1500 pounds).

The new cheaper sodium batteries coming on line now, are heavier, but have 5000 recharge cycles. So they don't need to install super large battery packs to ensure longevity. It should change the market. Smaller cheaper cars with lower range that suits average joe much better.
edit on 4-7-2024 by glend because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2024 @ 05:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
I think the issue with used electric is warranty. People just aren't sure of the cost to maintain and repair an older electric car.

Even though I drive a Jeep with a big monster v8 that gets whopping 9mpg and has an exhaust that can wake the dead; my next vehicle purchase will most likely electric or a hybrid.

The benefits of not needing gas 99% of the time I am driving far outweigh the downsides imho. Electric is superior to ICE in practically everyway except aural pleasure and long distance road trips. The long distance road trips really isn't an issue either with proper planning and is quickly getting better.

I have always been amazed at what engine size American auto makers use as a brit , My car dealer friend had a Dodge Ram years ago and the 25 Mile round trip to the shops cost 40 + £ and that was many years ago .

I worked at a garage that sold American vehicles and was blown away when the salesman told me what MPG these vehicles did compared to a European model of similar size .

Battery models suffer in cold climates from what I am reading and have come across some horror stories of people getting 80 miles on a charge in a Tesla in well below freezing temperatures, our local bus company spent b8g money on these electric buses and they are breaking down everywhere in the winter months as the batteries will not hold a charge in freezing temperatures.

posted on Jul, 5 2024 @ 06:57 AM
link   
A Tesla car has 2170 or 4680 small Battery Cells in packs!
then split down to packs. each pack has 4 packs of batterys.
witch has over 100V DC If you short that it is 100V going
through a 3.6 V battery! bang!
But that is Not easy to do.

if one battery dies one of the 4 cells is dead.
they rest keep going.
you just lose some amps. less power.

and they have MADE it Very very hard to fix it.
it can be don. its Very Dangerous hard and take time.

posted on Jul, 5 2024 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Cavemannick

No one is buying NEW Teslas either. Companies tanking....

posted on Jul, 5 2024 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Some of you do not remember smaller car companies or some of the larger that built, well, #, and then with those they invested. To make it better....and better. The K platform? It saved Chrysler.

Look at Hyundai next to Honda now. Would never have thought it was a choice. I would go Honda since I have owned Acuras but....they all build a solid, basic car now. A lot of R&D.

Electric cars before Tesla were ugly and slow or sleek and fast. Both very expensive. There was a need for a mainstream car. They made it.

I see the current Tesla as the Hyundal Excel circa 1990. I want to see what Tesla can do in the next 10, 20 or 30 years. It will interesting if allowed to 'innovate' as it has done.

To me electric cars are still in their infancy but no one can incorporate self solar charging or true self charging during driving to the mainstream because then there is no government money funneled for charging stations. See how that works.

Used Teslas or electric in general? Have someone check it out. There are reputable places but for as cheap as they are getting new..go new.

posted on Jul, 5 2024 @ 05:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
I think the issue with used electric is warranty. People just aren't sure of the cost to maintain and repair an older electric car.

Even though I drive a Jeep with a big monster v8 that gets whopping 9mpg and has an exhaust that can wake the dead; my next vehicle purchase will most likely electric or a hybrid.

The benefits of not needing gas 99% of the time I am driving far outweigh the downsides imho. Electric is superior to ICE in practically everyway except aural pleasure and long distance road trips. The long distance road trips really isn't an issue either with proper planning and is quickly getting better.

Is that you Elon ?

All the best

posted on Jul, 6 2024 @ 01:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Tesla also sells a LOT of user data.

posted on Jul, 6 2024 @ 01:13 AM
link   
a reply to: stonerwilliam

Don't forget the difference in Imperial gallons, and that the EU engine tune allows more NOx so it can be more lean. better MPG across the board compared to the same vehicle in the US

posted on Jul, 6 2024 @ 01:16 AM
link   
I drove next to a Cybertruck today, it was impressive.

Lots of dickhead Tesla drivers around DC, for sure.

posted on Jul, 6 2024 @ 06:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: 777Vader

Don't forget the difference in Imperial gallons, and that the EU engine tune allows more NOx so it can be more lean. better MPG across the board compared to the same vehicle in the US

I have been stunned at the American vehicles I have come across in the UK , just the fuel economy and sheer size of the vehicles , the worst I have come across is 2 mpg .

I came across one a rich football player had one imported and could not believe how big it was ,just the 4 tyres not the wheels were 20 k £ ($ 26 ) k , I am 6"3 in my socks and I could not even see into the flatbed of that vehicle it was that big .

I would not own a vehicle if I did not get a return of 35-50 mpg and was a hyper miler before it was a thing , some of the small engined cars I have owned I was getting mileage the manufacturer would be proud of I was getting 80 +mpg from one of these classics.honestjohn.co.uk...

I owned the one it replaced the Citroën Visa it had a whole 652 cc engine
it was like a moped motorcycle you filled it up and forgot about it yet I could load it up with my work gear with the seats down and sit happily at 80 mph on the motorway all day long and do 400 plus miles round trip and the fuel gauge was still well above half full.

posted on Jul, 6 2024 @ 07:08 AM
link   

When I turned 16, I got a Mercury Capri. Like a mustang, but not quite. A knock off I guess you would say. 4 cylinder, slow, but looked cool enough. I really wanted a Honda CRX. They were small, but looked good and got like 54 MPG. I couldn't afford one on a grocery store bag packers pay. But it always baffled me that we had 54 MPG back then, and now everyone is screaming for more efficiency, and we have regressed in the MPG department over the years. I have heard lots of excuses as to why we can't get to better fuel economy, but it looks a lot like it's designed to be that way. Like there is some rule that you can't get better mileage for whatever reason.

posted on Jul, 6 2024 @ 07:45 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

I have owned a few Honda cars and found them gutsy on fuel even when driving them like a old man ,Volkswagon golfs were the same to me , I was lucky to get 30s in fuel economy but the big difference between our countries is stick shift versus automatic, I hated a automatic drive as they are gutsy as hell .

I had a capri (Ford ) 1.6 but the best Ford on economy was a Mk1 ford fiesta en.m.wikipedia.org...(first_generation)

It had a 957cc engine and had more holes in the exhaust than a sieve, a friend gave it to me for nothing unlike every other ford I owned when the fuel gauge went into the red it did not cut out and just kept going and going on fumes .

I used to carry a small amount of fuel in a can in the trunk just to see how far I could get that old banger , it blew me away the mpg I was getting from it and I always wondered was the holes in the exhaust the reason for the crazy mpg ? I would do 100 miles a day to my work and back sitting happy at 50-55 mph and the fuel never seemed to be used ? blew me away that ND .

I had a few of these MK1 Honda preludes back in the day , driving exactley the same and was lucky to get 30s in fuel economy en.m.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jul, 6 2024 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Tesla Battery Replacement Cost - Find the best Tesla deals!

Considering EV batteries last 10 to 20 years, you hopefully won’t need to replace the battery. However, if you do need to replace the battery and are outside of Tesla’s warranty period, here are a few price examples, including labor:

Anywhere around $13,000-$20,000 for Models S
At least $14,000 for a Model X premium SUV
At least $13,000 for a Model 3 entry-level sedan

www.jdpower.com...#:~:text=However%2C%20if%20you%20do%20need,a%20Model%20X% 20premium%20SUV

Tesla’s $22,000 Battery Problem | This Is Ridiculous

top topics

<< 1   >>

join