It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fishing Gear Lost At Sea

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2024 @ 12:19 PM
link   
When synthetic fishing net is lost at sea it goes on catching fish and marine mammals until it eventually degrades. When it's full of bodies it sinks, the bodies decompose, and the net floats up again to catch another full load. This cycle repeats until the synthetic net eventually falls apart. It's a major problem.

Around 46 per cent of the plastic in the world's oceans is currently estimated to be lost or discarded fishing gear . . .
www.businessgreen.com...

There are people working on this issue.

The damage we have done to the oceans is far beyond what most of us can imagine. Trawlers have damaged a huge proportion of the seabed. We don't see it because it's underwater.

posted on Jul, 1 2024 @ 12:33 PM
link   
This problem is so bad.

Different species have actually stopped humans asking for help.

When you see the animals entire family in distress.

It should make you realizing how smart these animals are.

It also proves they communicate to each other and also possibly different species.

It gives me pause. What kind of Ocean do we want.

posted on Jul, 1 2024 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Yep, we suck.

Instead of worrying so much about climate change, we really need to be focusing on our waste. Plastic, synthetics all doing so much damage.

If we wish to off ourselves as a species, whatever.
But we sure as hell should NOT be taking the other life forms on this planet with us.

Again, we suck.

posted on Jul, 1 2024 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: chiefsmom
Yep, we suck.

Again, we suck.

Speaking of which, cigarette filters made from cellulose acetone are one of the other massive pollutants in the sea. They take many years to break down and are often ingested but not digested by sealife. Trillions per year.

We need to end humans so the planet can finally take a breath of it's own for a change.

More jabs please.

posted on Jul, 1 2024 @ 01:30 PM
link   

BUT?

Climate Change!! 😀

posted on Jul, 1 2024 @ 01:43 PM
link   
How about paper straws in plastic wrapping. Or individual saltine cracker each with their own plastic wrapping. Everything is incased in plastic that you buy. Why doesn't the corporations pay for the brunt of all this, they created it all the waste. Every shareholder from every company needs to pay too. They steal from you, they waste resources, pollute and they at the end of the day you pay not them as you work as a hourly slave while they get rich.
KILL THEM ALL!

posted on Jul, 1 2024 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: TimBurr

This stuff makes me so mad! And the poor little animals both on land and sea eating the garbage and their stomach gets full so they don't feel hungry but they can't digest it so they starve to death.

So sad! And they always say sea turtles mistake plastic bags for jellyfish because they have poor vision. We need to stop plastic bags immediately its way cheaper [but less cute] than buying all the sea turtles prescription swim goggles!
edit on 1-7-2024 by Shoshanna because: can't spell

posted on Jul, 1 2024 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I would have thought barnacles would eventually keep it on the bottom.

The sea is a caustic place;salt water destroys everything, for how long do these things really pose a lasting threat?

edit on 1-7-2024 by Dalamax because: Rephrase

I was taught that if a fishing ground isn’t fished it goes away.
edit on 1-7-2024 by Dalamax because: Fisherman’s law apparently

posted on Jul, 1 2024 @ 03:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: nerbot

originally posted by: chiefsmom
Yep, we suck.

Again, we suck.

Speaking of which, cigarette filters made from cellulose acetone are one of the other massive pollutants in the sea. They take many years to break down and are often ingested but not digested by sealife. Trillions per year.

We need to end humans so the planet can finally take a breath of it's own for a change.

More jabs please.

Teach kids to fieldstrip a cigarette butt 🤷🏽‍♂️

posted on Jul, 1 2024 @ 06:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dalamax

The bottom of the oceans lack calcium that the barnical shells are made of and those shells would be consumed quickly by chemical action in the seawater.

Fishing grounds are found, not made in most cases. They are an area where the fish gather for their benefit, not because that is where people catch them. People have to locate the fish, the fish come there for other reasons.

posted on Jul, 1 2024 @ 08:35 PM
link   
The problem is getting the whole world to comply with going back to fabric nets, as well as banning fishing in areas, and working on other ways to cleanly and efficiently farm the species we can. Till countries come up with affordable viable options to replace the incredibly vast amount fish the world consumes.

posted on Jul, 1 2024 @ 10:03 PM
link   
I have seen those modern nets they use in Superior, they are kind of thin and made of some synthetic material. I knew a Native American that used them, he always worried about losing one in bad weather because how it could cause fish to die unnecessarily. He would search for many hours to find a net that wandered off during a storm. He did not lose many in the years he was fishing, but it did bother him when one got blown away by a big storm. He died at his kitchen table one day, and I guess his nets were out, but a friend who he used to work with who had gotten his own native license did go out and pick up the nets from Lake Superior after he died. It was a couple of weeks later though, most of the fish was already partially rotted.

posted on Jul, 2 2024 @ 01:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Dalamax

Can't find specific information on longevity.

Because modern fishing nets and other fishing gear
components are largely made of plastics, ghost
gear potentially persists in the marine environment
in some form (e.g., synthetic fibers) indefinitely.
static1.squarespace.com...

posted on Jul, 2 2024 @ 04:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: BeyondKnowledge3

originally posted by: Dalamax

The bottom of the oceans lack calcium that the barnical shells are made of and those shells would be consumed quickly by chemical action in the seawater.

Fishing grounds are found, not made in most cases. They are an area where the fish gather for their benefit, not because that is where people catch them. People have to locate the fish, the fish come there for other reasons.

You’d think that’s how fishing works, I did. It’s more holistic than that. If you clear an underwater corridor of life than nature is going to fill that void with whatever fits in the nicest. Whatever moves in to fill that void is your catch species. If that corridor stops being fished it reverts back to pre fishing conditions, which can include going barren.

posted on Jul, 2 2024 @ 04:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: TimBurr
a reply to: Dalamax

Can't find specific information on longevity.

Because modern fishing nets and other fishing gear
components are largely made of plastics, ghost
gear potentially persists in the marine environment
in some form (e.g., synthetic fibers) indefinitely.
static1.squarespace.com...[/ quote]

Potentially persists. I’ve watched synthetic rope deteriorate in sun and salt water quite quickly.

I guess that just reduces the full rope down to micro plastics…. Some of those plastic eating bacteria released free range into the oceans is sounding like a brilliant knee jerk reaction to this issue 😂👍

posted on Jul, 2 2024 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Here is what will happen to all of those nets eventually. They become a freak geology part of the planet.

Plastic rocks are starting to coat shorelines.
edit on 2-7-2024 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2024 @ 05:57 AM
link   
And that’s how oil is made 🙂

Where did all the evidence of previous civilisations go? I have a sneaking suspicion that Mother Nature is showing us how.

a reply to: Darkblade71

new topics

top topics

join